+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help - Best router to work with iPad

is a discussion within the

General iPad Chat

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
I had a Linksys dual band router but upgraded my service to Time Warner Wideband which came with a Ubee cable modem/router. It seems to not work any better than
    iPhone? More like MyPhone NOYB111's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Help - Best router to work with iPad
    I had a Linksys dual band router but upgraded my service to Time Warner Wideband which came with a Ubee cable modem/router. It seems to not work any better than my Linksys with my iPad and Mac. Both work great for a little while and then Internet starts to lock up and once I disconnect and reconnect it works fine again. I have never had issues like this with my PC's. I have nothing but problems with my Mac and iPad. What is it about apple radio signals?

So.. What is the best and most compatible router to work with an iPad?

Also best radio frequencies or channels? Settings to tweak?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,919 Posts

I can't be as specific, but I used to use Linksys too. It was never that great with both Mac or PC. I would have to disconnect and reconnect. I got a netgear router a year ago and haven't had to disconnect/reconnect once, so from personal experience I would suggest the Netgear brand.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Scoops98's Avatar
    Thanks

Check that your routers are running the latest firmware. That will fix lots of issues (i.e. D-Link model that wouldn't allow Apple device to connect successfully). As for channels, you need to look at what your neighbours are are set to and pick a unused channel. Auto normally works well. I prefer D-Link for more features over other brands. I did have to set my wireless transfer rate to the highest as the auto setting gave me very poor signal strength on my iPhone.

Also, your cordless phone can interfere with wireless. I had a 2.4 GHz model that would disconnect wireless devices as well as wired devices. Any other sources of radiation will effect wireless too. Microwaves, wireless video transmitters, etc. Try move your router away from them.

Wireless can be rather temperamental sometimes. Form experience, cheaper routers preform poorly. You get what you pay for. Around $90-$100 will get a great router. Little bit more for dual band then too.
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!

Thanks

I kind of agree I had a cheap $40 router that was the linksys, didn't do well. I got the netgear, it wasn't the cheapest $30 one but it wasn't the most expensive one. I've been doing really well with it, it was one that was in the mid-range, not the cheapest but not the best. But generally yes the cheaper ones don't do that well in the long run.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 1,074 Posts

I use those ones ATT pretty much makes. The 2WIRE ones. Works pretty well and never crashes although they do get pretty big, when the speed of the internet is faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

Thanks

Oh yeah, around my apartment I see a bunch of 2WIRE wifi floating around, must be popular.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 1,074 Posts

Yeah it is AT&T's stock router
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

iPhone? More like MyPhone NOYB111's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah I do have a top of the line Linksys dual band and always have issues with both my Mac and both iPad 1 and 2. Maybe I should think more about interference. I am now using the Ubee that came with my new Wideband service. It's dual band but doesn't let you set up separate network names for N. I have played with the settings, although Time Warner said I am not allowed too! Ha ha. It sits in a compartment in my desk and on my desk is a cordless 5.8ghz phone as well as a wireless mouse and keyboard at 2.4ghz. Perhaps they aren't helping the situation.