Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can't get SIM tray out of iPad 2 3G

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Can't get SIM tray out of iPad 2 3G
    I have a problem. I used the SIM from a USB aircard in my iPad 2. I didn't have a SIM cutting tool so I trimmed it with some scissors. I now need to take that SIM out and I cannot get the SIM tray to come out. The SIM is working, so it's making contact with the connectors. When I try to remove the tray I think the SIM is catching on something and hanging up.

My work is turning off the service on that USB aircard next week, so I need to switch SIMs.

I don't want to damage the iPad, but I cannot figure out how to get it out. Has anyone disassembled an iPad 2? Would that even help?

Can I buy a new SIM tray for the iPad 2? I could use a drill bit in a pin vise to carefully drill a hole in the SIM tray and see if I can use a pin or tweasers to move the SIM so that it comes loose. I'd likely destroy the tray (and hopefully not the iPad).

Yesterday I took it to an Apple store and had them look at it. They didn't have a clue. the technician had never even removed a SIM tray from an iPad 2 before. The only thiing he could offer me was to do a device replacement for the entire iPad 2 for $300.
    Devices: iPhone 3GS iOS 5.0.1 (old boot ROM), iPad 2 64GB/3G/4.10.01 iOS 4.3.3, Android and WM phones as well

It is a little rough to get out I had two att associates give it a try...I want to say that when inserting the sim card removal tool you want to come down with it. For instance if you had the iPad laying screen down the tool would come in from above and down. Not from the side. Hopes this helps.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately the issue isn't the removel tool. It's hitting the eject mechanism and the tray moves a tiny bit. Then the edge of the SIM card hangs up on something and it won't go any farther. It doesn't stick out far enough to get my fingernail or anything else under it to pull it the rest of the way out.
    Devices: iPhone 3GS iOS 5.0.1 (old boot ROM), iPad 2 64GB/3G/4.10.01 iOS 4.3.3, Android and WM phones as well

Green Apple
    Thanks

I was able to remove the SIM tray. I ended up drilling a tiny hole in the tray with a #61 drill bit and a pin vise. I stuck a stick pin into the hole and was able to push down on the SIM while ejecting the tray. If the SIM ever gets stuck again, I'm all set. If anyone else has to do this, let me know. I can take pictures of the tools and where the hole needs to be. The placement of the hole was very critical so that it works and you don't damage anything.

@EmailGuy,
    I'm facing same issue as you did (iPad2 3G). Can you please add or send me pictures of the tool and the location of the hole, so I can remove the SIM tray?
    Thanks for your help!

. If anyone else has to do this, let me know. I can take pictures of the tools and where the hole needs to be.

If anyone has any doubts, here is a link to a video showing the removal of the SIM tray.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

Please send pictures of the tool and the hole. I must remove the SIM tray...

Use a paper clip, reference the video for the hole.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

I'm also having this problem, does anyone have these pictures so I can attempt drilling this myself ?

Quote Originally Posted by EmailGuy View Post
    I was able to remove the SIM tray. I ended up drilling a tiny hole in the tray with a #61 drill bit and a pin vise. I stuck a stick pin into the hole and was able to push down on the SIM while ejecting the tray. If the SIM ever gets stuck again, I'm all set. If anyone else has to do this, let me know. I can take pictures of the tools and where the hole needs to be. The placement of the hole was very critical so that it works and you don't damage anything.
    Hi could you send me pictures to show what you did ? You'd be a lifesaver ^^
    Last edited by Neolithian; 01-14-2012 at 07:17 AM.

Please send pictures of the tool and the hole. It stuck T-T

Please send the pics & list of the devices used to drill the hole. Me too facing the same problem with my White iPad 2 3G 16GB from more than a month. I even called apple regarding this , they also clarified that my ipad is still in warranty via my IMEI. They said it won't cover under warranty. We have to pay 80% of the original price to replace the iPad 2 with new one.

Can yo please post the pics & the list of the devices to be used to drill a hole to my iPad 2.

plz send me the pictures i hve the same problem too..plz
    i dont know wat to do so pl help me
    Last edited by xaning; 09-26-2012 at 08:35 AM.

do u have the pictures??can i see it??tnk u

Hey,
    Would you also send me your pictures?
    Thanks a lot!

I had the Similar Problem however after some googling and lot of patience I found the solution without Drilling. Here is the Youtbue link.. Note: Pleae twiste/bend the "feeler gauge" slightly so that it can pass through the behind the sim and move to the upper side to push the sim down (backside of IPAD) so it will not stuck at the corner. ( You need lot of patince and tries )
    Remove stuck SIM card from iPad - YouTube