Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is it possible that we will start seeing malware for ios devices?

Default Is it possible that we will start seeing malware for ios devices?
    Anyone who has played with computers for any length of time is certain to recognize the dreaded "omg you have 9000 viruses on your computer, click ok and we will will clean them out for you," pop up window that looks like XP even though your running Vista/7/OS X/Linux...

Most of us are intelligent to not click on the clever bit of javascripting that will ultimately infect our systems.

Today however, my little sister looking on google images on my beloved ipad, stumbled upon this interesting bit of animation that I thought I would share with you and get your thoughts on the matter.

@viacoffee @seanporto ...Well this is original. on Twitpic
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Well since all App Store apps have to go thru the approval process it's not possible to get a malware app like those in the Android Market. The only way you'd get malware is through Cydia from a rouge source.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

....Or rickrolled

I will go along with the app, but this was in Mobile Safari. Im just musing at the possibilty of running unsigned code via the web browser through an exploit.
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

Malware will hit the iOS ecosystem eventually. Luckily for us, we are a strong community. Once someone gets wind of it, the rest of us will know. I doubt we would ever get to the point where we needed antivirus/malware protection..

Also, since App Store applications are sandboxed, there wouldn't be much, if anything at all, that a malware could do should it slip through the reveiw process. What we really have to look out for are nefarious apps on Cydia. I haven't heard of any yet, but it is more likely that malware would come from there than the App Store. That being said, the main repos will go through your package and check that it isn't a script that runs "sudo rm -Rf /" while playing a rick roll video lol. As long as you stick to the main Cydia sources, you should be fine. I also doubt that there are people out there that are trying to find exploits just for the purpose of distributing a Trojan or malware... Let's not assume that we are immune, but the likelihood of a sudden epidemic is ridiculously low.

TL;DR: we should be fine (lol).
    Last edited by Imahottguy; 05-12-2011 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

Since you can do more and more with iPhones and iPads including lots of business and finance things I wouldn't be surprised if you start seeing people write malicious code for the devices. It'll be obvious though when you come across it so I wouldn't be too worried. Plus I'm sure Apple will release updates to guard against it.

Default learn
    i want to learn something here.
    thanks

tent
    , xbox 360 controller, Camping
    Last edited by Dalton Mcmickle; 05-13-2011 at 02:06 AM. Reason: imperfect

What?
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix