+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sync iPad to computer without deleting installed apps

is a discussion within the

General iPad Chat

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Hello all. I am having a bit of a problem with the iPad First of all, my apologies if this has already been answered. I can't seem to string together
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Sync iPad to computer without deleting installed apps
    Hello all. I am having a bit of a problem with the iPad

First of all, my apologies if this has already been answered. I can't seem to string together the right words for the search, and I can't seem to find my answer when I do.

Anyway, I got this iPad and it already has apps installed in it when I got it (as a gift). Now I want to sync it with my computer, but I don't want these apps to be deleted from the iPad (and if possible, transfer them to the computer - I honestly don't know where the apps came from).

Is this possible (with Copy Trans Manager, or other software?).
    If not, I guess they all have to be re-downloaded from iTunes then I guess (I think most of them are free anyway).

Thanks for all the help!
    Last edited by psx0529; 01-11-2011 at 06:13 PM.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The apps were downloaded and installed using a different users iTunes account. You have two choices: never sync w/iTunes, or download/buy with your credentials. Sorry, there's no other option. BTW: If you chose another option (cracked, etc), that discussion is prohibited on MMI and your iDevice is likely to have severe stability issues.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    The apps were downloaded and installed using a different users iTunes account. You have two choices: never sync w/iTunes, or download/buy with your credentials. Sorry, there's no other option. BTW: If you chose another option (cracked, etc), that discussion is prohibited on MMI and your iDevice is likely to have severe stability issues.
    Never sync with iTunes? Haha. That'll be quite a challenge

I get I'll just redownload! Thanks for the help!!!

Thanks

You can use 5 iTunes accounts with your credentials, so re-downloading wont be a problem for you purchased apps/music
    If I've helped you remember to say

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Apps are non-transferable. Meaning: If the apps were bought with a different iTunes account they cannot be sold or gifted. They are not your apps to keep because they can't have transfered ownership.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

^ exactly

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not sure of the exact rules, but it is possible to have apps from more than one iTunes account on a single iOS device without any special piracy hacks or anything. You just log out of your iTunes account on the device, login with someone elses account, and can download things they've purchased. They even update normally through the App Store app, you just need to know the second account's password as well when it pulls updates attached to that account.

The auto-deleting content from a different account only seems to happen when the device syncs to a new computer/account. I regularly sync my iPad against my main account with apps on it from a secondary account and it never complained.

(Pretty sure this doesn't count as piracy as you still need the purchasing account credentials to download the apps, and as apple says, "It just works")

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Syncing iPad the iTunes without deleting....
    I have a TON of apps on my iPad. My original laptop died and want to sync to a new computer, but same iTunes account without deleting the apps that are on the iPad. Hadn't been synced anywhere yet. My music from my ipod was able to get on the account by going in through the iPod folder in "my computer". iPad didn't do the same thing. Can someone help?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I also need to update to the current IOS version so I can update several apps.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Hi, right click on your iPad in iTunes and click on transfer purchases. Then right click and select backup. For non purchased music or non CameraRoll photos, you need to use a program like DiskAid to get it on your PC or if jailbroken, PwnTunes on your iPad. Once your stuff is on your PC, then sync should be safe to use.