Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is the Game Center app in 4.2 beta sandboxed or is it 'live'?

Default Is the Game Center app in 4.2 beta sandboxed or is it 'live'?
    I want to update my iPad with the 4.2 beta for many, many reasons...but was wondering if the Game Center app reaches the live servers or is "Sandbox" written across the top of the page when you view you account details within the app?

The other way to tell is if you can interact with iPhone users who have 4.1 installed. (By finding and adding them as friends.)

(For those that don't know, sandbox mode is developer tool which is kind of like a safe haven for applications. You can test the full functionality of an app's features and it doesn't affect any live data. It's especially useful when you are testing out payment systems, but in this case, you can log into a Game Center profile and test out your apps achievements, etc and they won't show up on the live servers...but it also means that any accounts you create in sandbox mode won't be created on the live servers. And I'd like to go ahead and snag a game center account name/gamertag.)

it appears to be live to me, i was able to snag my gamertag
    WANT A UDID SLOT TO RUN BETA iOS FIRMWARE? 87 SLOTS AVALIABLE. $3 EACH PM ME

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Its live on 4.2

How is the 4.2 beta? Is it buggy? How would I go about getting my hands on it?

Thanks for the info Cyber and Stealth...looks like it's time to get going on the install.

Somethingblue: as far as I know, there are two ways to install it. Pay apple the $99 to be a iDevice developer and get the beta straight from them or have someone who is a paid developer add your iPad's unique device id to their account.
    Last edited by Golobulus; 09-22-2010 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by somethingblue View Post
    How is the 4.2 beta? Is it buggy? How would I go about getting my hands on it?
    Being the first beta, everything is a bit sluggish. The springboard is noticeably more sluggish, especially after exiting another app. Otherwise though, it is remarkably stable. Of course, it should be since Apple has been working on builds of 4.x since March. I have no idea why they've taken this long to bring it to iPad.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MacDevil7334 View Post
    Being the first beta, everything is a bit sluggish. The springboard is noticeably more sluggish, especially after exiting another app. Otherwise though, it is remarkably stable. Of course, it should be since Apple has been working on builds of 4.x since March. I have no idea why they've taken this long to bring it to iPad.
    I wouldn't call it sluggish at all. Yes, there are some bugs to it, but I haven't noticed the springboard being sluggish at all. In fact it's as responsive, if not more so than 3.2 was for sure. Epic Citadel runs significantly smoother on my iPad than it did on 3.2.

There are some bugs of course, the main one I routinely encounter is that you have to let pages in safari load completely before typing anything on them or selecting certain things on them or else it crashes the entire app. But yes, overall it is remarkably stable for a b1.