+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I want some advice before i buy an ipad

is a discussion within the

General iPad Chat

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Ok so here it goes...i want some sort of tablet but im not sure which one. There are alot of Android tablets coming out but just like Android for phones
    Thanks

Default I want some advice before i buy an ipad
    Ok so here it goes...i want some sort of tablet but im not sure which one. There are alot of Android tablets coming out but just like Android for phones they all have scatted OS's. And as far as the iPad goes at least i know exactly what im getting. (and there absolutely beautiful!!). Also is it worth getting the 3G for the extra money? Im not sure how much ill be lugging it around with me outside of WiFi. Here are some of the Android tablets that are pulling me away from iPad

Toshiba's Smartpad: Specs Leaked - Gadgetank
    Tegra 2 packing StreamTV Elocity A7 Tablet - Gadgetank
    Samsung to Launch 7-inch Tablet in September - Gadgetank
    Toshiba's dual-screen Libretto W100 Laptop on Sale!!! - Gadgetank (not really a tablet)
    MSI Tablet Blows Past Prototype Stage. - Gadgetank

Well ya thats my list. Still pretty set on the iPad though. Haha. I use to LOVE my iPhone and would have gotten the iPhone4 if it didnt have so many problems out of the gate. I still might pick up the whits one though Thanks for helping me out!!

Thanks

I can't speak to the andriod tablets. But I was of similar mind on the 3g. I decided to spend the extra money and get a 3g 64gb model thinking that if I ever needed the 3g I could either use mywi from my phone or turn it on for a month if needed.

Well I ended up turning it on pretty quickly and also got in before the unlimited plan was cut off. Now I won't turn the plan off because I would loose the unlimited plan but I wouldn't want to turn the plan off either. Having 3g on the ipad really completes the device in my mind. I didn't think I would take it everywhere either, but I have it with me almost everywhere I go now.

Without the unlimited plan things would be different for me though. I used about 8gb of data last month. Anyway, I love my ipad and use it for everything. I'm very happy with it and don't regret it one bit. Good luck.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

You can't make a buying decision based on pictures and specs. First of all you have to realize that Apple is going to have superior hardware. Their touch screen experience is seamless and responsive. Look at Android smartphones... other than the Samsung Galaxy S Super AMOLED screen there isn't other phone out there that can come close in performance. The 7" screen Sumsung is touting is just too small for a tablet device.

Thanks

I think in the long run i will go with the iPad. Not really for the OS (even though i do really like OS4) but just for what it is and the support that it will receive. The Android OS is still so scattered (1.6, 2.1, 2.2) that it makes me nervous. Thanks for all the help and info guys!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 15,116 Times in 6,945 Posts

I'd say go with the iPad, but you may want to wait and see if it gets updated this year or not.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

I wouldn't think twice! I would buy a iPad! I love mine!

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

Wait for the iPad 2 then get an iPad.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hello Jrflurry!

I just got my iPad yesterday and I was asking similar questions to myself as well. I was thinking of buying either that Toshiba tablet or an android tablet. First off, I absolutely hate android on my motorola droid. It's laggy and eats up battery life like crazy.

I use my iPad all day before I actually charge it and it is jail broken. I don't exactly recommend 3G. If you have an iPhone (or any smartphone for that matter) you can simply tether your 3G connection. Why waste that extra money a month when you can simply tether?

The choice is really yours but I vote iPad all day!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

After having my iPad for a couple weeks now I would definitely go with the iPad over android mainly b/c like you said you know what your getting. As far as 3G vs wifi model i found it better to save & go with the wifi version b/c I had an iPhone w/unlimited data plan. No sense in paying for 2 data plans, and it's super easy to tether the two. I have found that I thought I would use it more than I do, and still must revert back to my laptop more than I was hoping.

My main use was for college, and typing is a little awkward so I don't take a many notes as I thought I would, and use it to keep my textbooks on instead of lugging 5 or 6 huge books around.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jrflurry View Post
    Ok so here it goes...i want some sort of tablet but im not sure which one. There are alot of Android tablets coming out but just like Android for phones they all have scatted OS's. And as far as the iPad goes at least i know exactly what im getting. (and there absolutely beautiful!!). Also is it worth getting the 3G for the extra money? Im not sure how much ill be lugging it around with me outside of WiFi. Here are some of the Android tablets that are pulling me away from iPad

Toshiba's Smartpad: Specs Leaked - Gadgetank
    Tegra 2 packing StreamTV Elocity A7 Tablet - Gadgetank
    Samsung to Launch 7-inch Tablet in September - Gadgetank
    Toshiba's dual-screen Libretto W100 Laptop on Sale!!! - Gadgetank (not really a tablet)
    MSI Tablet Blows Past Prototype Stage. - Gadgetank

Well ya thats my list. Still pretty set on the iPad though. Haha. I use to LOVE my iPhone and would have gotten the iPhone4 if it didnt have so many problems out of the gate. I still might pick up the whits one though Thanks for helping me out!!
    As an iPad owner I feel that you should wait because Android OS is most defintiely superior to iOS and will make for a far better experience on a tablet. Not only does it allow you to tailor it to what you want it to be, it also is more feature rich and has full on multi-tasking which is a benefit on a device such as a tablet. Now, as far as hardware is concerned Apple hit the ball out the park but iOS is too limiting and Apple has not shown that it will do what it takes to keep iOS at the cutting edge of technology. Here's a couple things that irk me about the iPad:

The Home/Lock Screen
    Much of the real estate afforded by the iPad is wasted due to the fact that all you can do on the home screen is rearrange your icons. Android is superior in this regard because you can customize the homescreen anyway you wish. You can have applications, folders, widgets, contacts, and etc. all on your homescreen which makes the device more of what you want it to be. If you're a weather buff you can have a weather widget right on the homescreen...no need to pop in and out of an app to access that information.

The Notification System
    There's is nothing more annoying than being interrupted by a blue popup box telling you that dictionary.com has a new word of the day or you have a new IM in your IM app. If you're taking notes or playing a game and have your IM app running you will be interrupted every single time you receive a new message which is archaic because the blue popups will pause and dim out whatever app you are using. Android handles notifications more intelligently by having them popup in a slide down menu that can be accessed within any application at anytime without having to close said app.

iPad is Useless Without a Windows or Mac Based Computer

You want to manage your photos in your photo app you gotta use iTunes or iPhoto. Want to add new music to your iPod app, gotta use iTunes. Want to add videos to your video app, transfer it via iTunes and make sure it is .m4v or .mov. It is not a standalone device at all and is quite useless on its own.

Cannot Use Downloaded Files in Native Apps

Downloaded a video in GoodReader that you would like to play in the video app, tough luck! Have a picture of a roller coaster that you would like to add to your roller coaster album in the photo app, too bad! Want to add a song in your dropbox to your iTunes playlist...poor baby. On Android you can store files in a central folder and have other apps open them.

I think the iPad's biggest pluses are the gorgeous hardware and the app store. As of yet no one has been able to keep up with in regards to these two but with Android's startling growth it will only be a matter of time before it has more apps than the app store...as far as hardware who knows!
    Last edited by Jay Marcase; 09-06-2010 at 12:24 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

good point.

jrflurry, go get yourself an ipad still.

Thanks

My intro into the tablet world was android tablet M003 8 inch running 1.6 and it a workhorse OS. I want an iPad now as I was able to tweak the M003 to get full potential out of it. Just time to move on to iPad.