+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad Guide

is a discussion within the

General iPad Chat

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
****I thought of making a guide since the iPad FAQ is not really being updated and most questions have been answered**** Basics: What is an iPad? An iPad is what
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default iPad Guide
    ****I thought of making a guide since the iPad FAQ is not really being updated and most questions have been answered****

Basics:

What is an iPad?
    An iPad is what some people call "a large ipod touch" there are 2 types of it 3G/Wi-fi and Wi-fi Only.

What is the difference between 3G and wi-fi?
    The 3G/Wi-fi one can use Wi-fi when it's available and 3G for when you are outside of your Wi-fi range (Additional rates may apply depending on Carrier)

I just found out that iPad 3G uses micro-sim what do I do?
    Well a solution would be cutting the sim-card to make it fit the sim card slot, though I don't have a 3G iPad, but people say it works.

What are the prices for the iPads?
    Wi-Fi only: ------------- 3G/Wi-Fi:
    iPad 16GB = 549$ --- iPad 16GB = 679$
    iPad 32GB = 649$ --- iPad 32GB = 779$
    iPad 64GB = 749$ --- iPad 64GB = 879$

Where can I get an iPad?
    I do not know where they sell them in the U.S. but I know in Canada they sell it in Bestbuy, Futureshop, and Apple.

HELP MY IPAD FELL ON THE GROUND I CAN'T GET IT TO WORK!
    -If it is new and you have a warranty just take it back to the store and they'll give you a bran new one.
    -If you do not have a warranty then take it to Apple and they will replace it, but I think it will cost you.

Do they sell bluetooth keyboards for my iPad?
    Yes you can buy it at apple, I think it is 59.99$

Advanced:

Can iPhone games work on iPad?
    Yes, Although it won't be as good graphics as games designed especially for iPad.

What are the available jailbreaks for my iPad?
    iPad 3.2 - Spirit/Jailbreakme
    iPad 3.2.1 - Jailbreakme
    iPad 3.2.2 - NO JAILBREAK YET, DO NOT UPDATE!

I jailbroke my iPad now what?
    What I would recommend doing so go to Cydia right away and save SHSH right away.

What are SHSH? And why should I save them?
    SHSH are saved because if you accidentally updated to 3.2.2 and there is no jailbreak and you have SHSH for 3.2 you can downgrade, but if you don't have them saved you will not be able to downgrade.

Why is there no IOS 4 for iPad?
    Since Apple has been busy working on IOS 4 for iPhone/iPod touch they decided to make the IOS 4 for ipad to come out this fall.

What are the apps compatible with iPad?
    Check this list: https://spreadsheets.google.com/lv?k...A&f=true&gid=0 (I do not own this)

What is better in the iPad than the iPod touch?
    -First thing you will notice is the battery lasts much longer than iPhone and iPod.
    -Second is speakers they are very loud.
    -Built in Mic
    -Can only charge on Mac or through 10W USB Power Adapter (Can charge on windows http://event.asus.com/mb/2010/ai_charger/)
    -If you have the 3G iPad it will have a micro-sim slot and can work on 3G/Edge.
    -Something bad is that it does not come with: Calculator, Clock, Voice recorder, Stocks, but don't worry there are apps that do the same thing.

If I download a lot of Cydia apps and put themes on will it slow down my iPad and make my battery die faster?
    Well maybe a little bit, but not that much, or maybe not even that noticeable, because the iPad has a really good battery unlike iPods and iPhones.

My iPad keeps crashing! What do I do?
    Ok now when it crashes or gets stuck on apple logo or in safe mode, there are steps for each problem so let's start with crashing/rebooting itself.
    -Rebooting It reboots because maybe you downloaded something from Cydia that messed it up so always check if it is compatible with iPad, stay up-to-date with apps so that if bugs are fixed. If deleting didn't work then SSH and remove the files you have recently downloaded.
    -Safe Mode The iPad usually crashes to Safe Mode every once in a while, that's normal but sometimes it keeps happening almost everyday and sometimes you cant get out of it, in that case you go to Cydia (Doesn't matter if you did it from safe mode or not) and delete what you recently downloaded, that is usually how I fix safe mode crashes.
    -Apple Logo Yes this is usually the worst because the only way to get out of it is by restoring you first go to DFU mode (Hold home button and sleep button till you see the iPad getting rebooted then you take your hand off the sleep button and keep holding the home button and you will see a connect to itunes image then just do a restore) But before going to DFU mode always try to reboot it by pressing home button and sleep button till it reboots, sometimes that fixed my ipad and I didn't need to restore.
    Note: FIX FOR ALL - If there is a jailbreak for the latest version of ipad then you don't have to worry about restoring you can restore for any of these above to fix your ipad completely, But NEVER do it if there is no jailbreak for the latest version such as 3.2.2 and they stopped signing 3.2.1 don't restore unless you have SHSH saved.

----------------------------------

This is not part of the guide, But after jailbreak a lot of people ask what to download from cydia

What I think is most useful in Cydia is:
    Backgrounder
    Circuitous
    Cydelete
    Fontswap - (Does not change system font, its an error)
    FullForce
    iFile (Paid)
    iWhiteboard - useful for fun and pic tutorials.
    Screenrecorder - DOES NOT WORK WITHOUT FULLFORCE
    Rename II
    SBSettings
    Winterboard

This is what I have cause these are probably the best things for ipad, YET.

I will try to add more tips when my iPad is done charging.

Like my Guide? Check out the iPhone IOS 4 Guide Guide/Tips how to make iPhone faster, battery last longer
    Last edited by robben10; 08-13-2010 at 08:27 PM.
    Please press the Thanks button if I ever helped, you'd be helping me

2. The Following User Says Thank You to robben10 For This Useful Post:

Don J. (08-21-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

I have winterboard and sbettings on my iPad and it has no impact on the battery life at all; and if so it is very small.

Thanks

really?

Cuz for me it has a bit of impact... but I'll try to test it again.

I'll edit

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

SBSettings and Winterboard with OSX theme installed almost since day 1 and the battery lasts several days still.

Thanks

Hey can you sticky mine? I go on ModMyi everyday, so I'll update it everytime something new comes out (New JB, new ios for ipad etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    SBSettings and Winterboard with OSX theme installed almost since day 1 and the battery lasts several days still.
    Wow, that's something I didnt know, I was always wondering if I should download Winterboard or sbsettings, but I was afraid that my battery will be crappy.

Updated, added crashes for iPad.

UpDaTeD
    Last edited by robben10; 08-12-2010 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

A couple of corrections, in regards to the micorsim unless you are unlocking most carriers here in Canada anyway will give it to you for free so dont bother trying to cut it.

Also the Ipad will charge with Windows most motherboard manufac released an update to allow for Windows charging from their motherboards, it is a bit slower that the wall outlet but does work

Here is a link to the Asus one

ASUS Ai Charger - Quick charge your iPod, iPhone and even iPad!
    MacBook Pro 17"
    Imac 27"

Thanks

ya In canada and america they offer micro sim card but I go to middle east sometimes so then I wouldnt be able to U$E it.

Ok I UpAdAtEd
    Last edited by robben10; 08-13-2010 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Good post, thanks.
    mod edit/link removed

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

Good job with some updated info.

I'd just add that the iPad can recharge from any normal PC USB port, the problem is the device uses about as much power as a basic USB port provides, so it just doesn't charge while the device is active. You get the "Not Charging" status bar message while the screen is on, but if you put the iPad into standby you'll get a slow charge.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krosis View Post
    Good job with some updated info.

I'd just add that the iPad can recharge from any normal PC USB port, the problem is the device uses about as much power as a basic USB port provides, so it just doesn't charge while the device is active. You get the "Not Charging" status bar message while the screen is on, but if you put the iPad into standby you'll get a slow charge.
    Its already there 2 posts above
    MacBook Pro 17"
    Imac 27"

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigmoss View Post
    Its already there 2 posts above
    No, you specifically mentioned a software utility that allows the motherboards to increase their power output to push the iPad into a full "charging" mode. Unfortunatly not all of those utilities are perfect, and some people have experienced problems with them.

I'm talking about any random 10 year old generic USB port on any computer. The device never says it's charging, and if you wake it up it even says "not charging" and drains your battery ever so slowly (1-2% per hour for me). However if you leave the device in standby, you can use the 2.5 W of power from the basic USB port and your device charges slowly (about 8% per hour for me).