Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad Camera Connection Kit and transferring files?

Question iPad Camera Connection Kit and transferring files?
    Hello
    Is it possible to transfer documents such as word document or excel sheet by using iPad Camera Connection Kit from usb flash memory to PC or mac?
    If yes, then do I have to jailbreak or not?

Thank you

Green Apple
    Thanks

Even though I do not have one but I am read in many sites that the camera kit only allows for images and movies to be transferred and even that is only to the iPad not the other way around.

There are no current jailbroken apps available to do what you are asking but I wont be surprised if something as you suggest pops up in a few months on cydia. So wait it out.

Easiest way to currently exchange files is using OpenSSH through Wifi (but even that is having problems with iPads, ruins touch calibrations), so i would not suggest that for you.

The app you are using should allow you to download the files through wifi, xxx.xxx.xxx:8080? and if that is the case, I request you keep using that till a new app shows up on cydia.

Thanks

I dont quite understand what you want?

Office apps can natively transfer files using iTunes, although i use DiskAid on my mac and can see each of my office application little folders on the left. I can transfer documents into these app folders, and from the app folders to my mac when the ipad is concected.

Seeing as these documents are not a large size at, i dont see why you need the camera connection kit and a usb hard drive? If its for compatibility with any computer (that doesnt have itunes/diskaid) then i would think finding the folder that contains all your files and then using ifile to copy that folder to the usb hard drive would not be impossible, though a bit long.

A much better way of working, which i use daily, is quickoffice for ipad with dropbox support.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

You can transfer them using the iPad camera connection kit and iFile but you cant open them on pages app...only using the default reader but can't edit it
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Hi, I know this is an old post but anyway...

If you are jailbroken, then iFile in landscape mode works with the Camera Connection Kit (CCK) on my iPad 2 (iOS6.1) with both the USB and SD card adapters. Not all USB sticks work, my 4GB initiative one does.

But what if you are not jailbroken...

Plug your SD card or USB stick into your PC
    Zip the files you need together and rename the zip file something like ZIP_1234.pdf

Make a DCIM folder on your SD card or USB stick and paste the zipped.pdf file there.

Plug the CCK and SD card/USB stick into your iPad and wait for the Photo app to start. Then import your PDF.

Now to get the PDF out of the Photo import folder, you need to open which ever app you use to organise your files with and test it to see if it will allow you to import a PDF from a photo folder!

The chances are it won't, but Dropbox does, but you need wifi and to actually upload it to Dropbox first.

However, free App Store app iTransfer by ComcSoft works.
    Select the ZIP_1234.pdf from the Photo Album/import folder.
    Click on it then use Open In to get it to the file manager of your choice.
    I use Files Pro. Once there, rename it to ZIP_1234.zip and then extract your files.
    Last edited by DC_Dave; 04-15-2013 at 10:11 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Update for non jailbroken iOS7 iPad users to import zipped files from USB stick/SD card.

Plug your SD card or USB stick into your PC
    Zip the files you need together and rename the zip file something like ZIP_1234.JPG

Make a DCIM folder on your SD card or USB stick and paste the zipped.jpg file there.

Plug the CCK and SD card/USB stick into your iPad and wait for the Photo app to start. Then import your jpg, it will have a greyed out square with JPG on it.

Now to get the jpg out of the Photo import folder, you need to open which ever app you use to organise your files with and test it to see if it will allow you to import this jpg from the photo import folder!

The chances are it won't, however, free App Store app iTransfer by ComcSoft works.
    Select the ZIP_1234.JPG from the Photo Album/import folder.
    Click on it then use Open In to get it to the file manager of your choice.
    I use Files Pro. Once there, rename it to ZIP_1234.zip and then extract your files.
    Last edited by DC_Dave; 03-22-2014 at 06:46 AM.