Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad 3G question - GPS without data plan?

Question iPad 3G question - GPS without data plan?
    I just bought a 64GB WiFi + 3G iPad but am letting the data plan on my current (2G) iPhone run for a little bit longer. So I'm not setting up an AT&T plan for the iPad.

Does anyone know if the assisted GPS works when there isn't an active 3G data plan? Or is that contingent on having an active AT&T plan?
    cash removed my sig of a donation link.

http://smokebubbles.wordpress.com
    "Brewin' and 'quein' since last Tuesday."

Th GPS should work just fine, but remember that many apps, including the built in Maps app, require a data signal to draw the map. Full-fledged navigation programs like Copilot HD and TomTom have the maps built in, and thus will work fine without data, but some features like Traffic reports and live POI lookups won't work.

If your iphone is jailbroken simply run MyWi works like a dream with ipad or any wifi device. Recently used it for a week at Disney rather than paying the ripoff rates their hotels charge for internet service. Great speed and it creates its own hotspot so you can allow other people to join.

I thought that the GPS was actually A-GPS? Meaning a data connection is required for acquiring a lock?

Perhaps not. Now this is not scientific, but I turned off data and wifi, went to maps and it did get a lock on me... So idk...
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

IF you have JB iphone, you won't need data as you can use MyWi from iPhone with ipad and xGPS, works great for me and don't have to purchase the data plan for ipad.

Lol yeah, let's tether EDGE via WiFi, that's a great idea. Haha
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    I thought that the GPS was actually A-GPS? Meaning a data connection is required for acquiring a lock?

Perhaps not. Now this is not scientific, but I turned off data and wifi, went to maps and it did get a lock on me... So idk...
    Many people think A-GPS is some form of substandard GPS and not as good as normal GPS because it uses the cell towers. The "A" in A-GPS stands for "Assisted". How it works is it uses the cell towers to triangulate your position while it is acquiring a satellite fix. About the only things you should notice when using the iPad (or any other device that uses A-GPS) with out a SIM card is a little bit longer acquire times, and not being able to use things that require you to constantly download data i.e. google maps

Quote Originally Posted by natim View Post
    IF you have JB iphone, you won't need data as you can use MyWi from iPhone with ipad and xGPS, works great for me and don't have to purchase the data plan for ipad.
    Are you viewing the gps routing on ipad or iphone? I use miwi for iphone to ipad wifi already but I want to use the larger ipad screen for gps. My ipad is wifi only and I haven't tested anything yet. But I want to share the iphone as if it were a gps device basically.

It absolutely works, apparently some people live in areas where they have only edge but MOST of us are in 3g areas so it works great.

I have the 64gb wifi 3g ver ipad. The gps will not work without the 3g data plan. I use my iphonet o tethert he internet to my ipad. Itis called MyWi.

The A-GPS on the ipad relies on the subscribe data plan. It is like an iphone with the airplane mode active. Meaning you can use it except tomake calls.

That's howi would explain it.

PS

I have use my ipad 3g and my ipad wifito run the gps. MotionX will only install on the ipad 3G. Google maps willinstall on the wifi and 3g ipads. You need to press location once in a while to get a triangulation.

I have the 64gb wifi 3g ver ipad. The gps will not work without the 3g data plan. I use my iphone to tether the internet to my ipad. It is called MyWi.

The A-GPS on the ipad relies on the subscribe data plan. It is like an iphone with the airplane mode active. Meaning you can use it except to make calls.

That's how i would explain it.

PS

I have use my ipad 3g and my ipad wifi to run the gps. MotionX will only install on the ipad 3G. Google maps wil linstall on the wifi and 3g ipads. You need to press location once in a while to get a triangulation.

I also jailbroke my ipad to try to make it work. Unfortunately, the developers has not look into to that yet. Maybe in the near future.
    Last edited by von888; 06-12-2010 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost