+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New App: SNES (HD) - with iPhone ControlPad

is a discussion within the

General iPad Chat

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Hi guys! I wanted to let everybody know about my new iPad port of Snes9x! It's based on ZodTTD's snes4iphone, but lots of stuff has been rewritten, and there's a
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default New App: SNES (HD) - with iPhone ControlPad
    Hi guys! I wanted to let everybody know about my new iPad port of Snes9x! It's based on ZodTTD's snes4iphone, but lots of stuff has been rewritten, and there's a sweet new user interface. To play you'll need an iPhone or iPod touch with my ControlPad app installed. Both apps are free, and available at this cydia repo:
    Code:
    http://wherethewoozlewasnt.com/cydia
    Here's a screenshot of the loading interface:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlcigMvkkoU"]And a little YouTube demo[/ame]

Installation instructions, more screens, and a link to the source code are at my new blog: SNES (HD) Where the Woozle Wasn't

Please let me know what you think, either in the comments, here in this thread or at [email protected]

Also, I've written in support for up to four controllers, but I only have two phones to test with. If somebody could try it out and say yea or nay, I'd appreciate it.

Have fun!

P.S. I'm going to submit the packages to the modmyi repo tomorrow, but I've got to get some sleep tonight.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WoozleWrangler For This Useful Post:

catallin (05-24-2010), deenybird (05-24-2010), reeko (05-24-2010), z3r01 (05-24-2010), zoso10 (10-26-2010)

Thanks

Very cool indeed. When I first saw the ipad i thought something like this would be awesome to do. and I have to give you two thumbs up.

but for some reason when I launch the controller app on my 3gs it just crashes back to the springboard same with the emulator on the iphone... Runs fine on the ipad..

Does bluetooth need to be on ?

edit: just tried with bluetooth on and still same results on the iphone .. it launches the controller app then goes right back to the springboard
    Last edited by brokentwice; 05-23-2010 at 10:32 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Controller keeps crashing. How do you get rooms onto the iPad?

Thanks

This looks way sweet. I will try it out as soon as I get some sleep as well. Looking forward to it.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

wow... woorks well!!! i was looking forward to someone making something like this but its hard on a touch device, lol... would be nice if we could use the wiimote classic controller from wii...
    Click that "Thanks" button if I helped you!

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is awesome. Could you make it so it supports the wiimote?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin87 For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (05-24-2010)

Thanks

anyone else having problems running the controller app on the iphone ?

i have a 3gs thats on 3.0 and it just crashes right to the springboard when I start it

Thanks

+1 for wiimote support....
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

11. The Following User Says Thank You to reeko For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (05-24-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone madczech's Avatar
    Thanks

i got a question bout adding roms.

I added the directory: /var/mobile/Media/ROMs/SNES and placed my .7z files in there but they won't show up in snes hd... could someone help me out? thanks

EDIT: Never mind, got it working.... somehow forgot, the snes files alr .smc
    Last edited by madczech; 05-24-2010 at 03:59 AM.
    I don't give a damn about Chuck Norris, Spongebob can grill under water!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey Guys! Thanks for trying it out. Sorry about the ControlPad crashes. I think that I may have figured it out (I was stupidly targeting 3.2 in my Makefile. makes me wonder why it works at all!). Would those that had the ControlPad crash try fetching the package again (version 1.1-1 now) and tell me if it's still broken? If it is still broken, does it crash immediately, or do you at least see a controller image first (the Default.png)? Thanks! BTW, for some reason I need to remove the wherethewoozlewasnt.com cydia repo and add it again before the new version is visible. If you get a "Size Mismatch" error when fetching, try doing that. I'm still figuring out this whole repo thing...

Also, you do need Bluetooth enabled on both machines (Apple's stack, not BTStack) and roms must be placed manually in /var/mobile/Media/ROMs/SNES (the next release will at least create that dir automatically).

Thanks for the input guys, hopefully I can get things working a bit smoother soon.
    Last edited by WoozleWrangler; 05-24-2010 at 04:42 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to WoozleWrangler For This Useful Post:

catallin (05-24-2010)

Thanks

ok so after playing around with this, i enjoyed it . very nice, only thing is that sometimes i get the controller going crazy..while on the menu to final fantasy 3 , pressing down a couple of times makes it go turbo lol, and sometimes when i walk pressing up and want to go left, the sprite just looks left and stays there
    Last edited by z3r01; 05-24-2010 at 05:07 AM.
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Thanks

The multi tap feature looks interesting. i dont have access to multiple iphones at the moment does it work 4 player?

Multitap feature with wiimote or classic wiimote and your onto an absolute winner here. Plays well. Very impressed.

Hopefully you get this out and finished before zodttd upgrades his with these features.
    Last edited by reeko; 05-24-2010 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Suck it up, Sucker

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I actually haven't been able to test more than two controllers yet, as I only have two phones ATM. I'm hoping someone richer than I (or with better equipped friends) can test it out and report back. Should work in theory... Also, until I get a Wiimote my hands are pretty much tied on that front. Adding wiimote support will also mean rewriting the control pad app to use BTStack instead of Apple's APIs, or else you'd have to choose one or the other. Only one Bluetooth stack can be active at a time. The rewrite probably wouldn't be too hard, but I've only taken a cursory glance at BTStack so far. I'm sure at some point I'll end up buying a Wiimote and add support. Hardware buttons are awesome. Still, I can't really picture myself bringing my Wiimote to the coffee shop, say, whereas I always have the phone in my pocket. Right now I'm working on adding Zod's ROM download interface so you can snag new ROMS from inside the app. It's a pretty clever bit of code, really. Zod deserves mad props, and of course if he or anyone else wants to use any of my code, more power to em. It's at WoozleWrangler's Profile - GitHub

Thanks

When playing Mario for instance, running and jumping is hit and miss. Sometimes mario will jump, sometimes not. And when he doesn't he dies Its kinda frustrating.

The way i see the ipad - if you are carrying it around you usually have a case/carry bag to put it in. Personally i have a rubber case around the ipad and put it in a neoprene case with a zip and a little pocket on the front. I can fit a wiimote in there. If you had wiimote support i would just stick one in my case for when im carrying my ipad around and have some spare time for some gaming.

Also, on the BTStack front - i can't see nintendo ever allowing this in the appstore unless they did it themselves, so this will forever be a jailbreak app - therefore there is nothing stopping you from using btstack.

I have no problem helping you with a wiimote or some money towards a wiimote if i can / you require it for testing purposes? This app has great potential, especially with the multitap feature.

Suck it up, Sucker

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

good points, reeko. About the wiimote, it actually seems like the PS3 controller would be a better fit, although I guess the Wiimote classic controller would work pretty well. There just aren't a lot of buttons on the standard wiimote.

As for the App store, Apple would never let it in, even if Nintendo was sacrificing virgins to Lord Jobs. Apart from the ban on emulators and interpreted code, it uses a few private frameworks to achieve decent frame rates. So, of course, it's jailbreak or nothing. I just haven't really dived into BTStack yet - it's a little more involved than Apple's framework, which nicely abstracts away most of the Bluetooth protocol. Still, it's obviously the way to go if you want to actually use Bluetooth to talk to other devices. I wonder, now that I'm thinking about it, if the Camera Connection kit would let me just plug a USB joystick in and talk to it directly? There's already some usb joystick code in Snes9x... Another reason to order a camera kit, but it seems like they're on back order for a few weeks. Oh well. I'll look into BTStack and see about porting the existing iPhone controller over. Then it should be pretty easy to get a wiimote/ps3 controller working.

Edit: looks like the PS3 controller uses a non-standard pairing method. According to the people that have made it work under linux, you need to connect over USB to pair the controller to the Bluetooth master. So that might be a deal-breaker, though in theory you could connect your ps3 controller via usb to a linux box and set the iPad's MAC address to be the master. Pretty ugly hack though. If the camera kit detects the PS3 controller as a HID device, it should be possible to do the pairing that way, which would be a lot better. It looks like there's also a special HID command that needs to be sent before the controller starts sending data, and in the linux scenario it took a patch to the USB Hid driver to get it working. Since I don't really know how to muck about with the iPad's HID driver it might just be a no-go. Which is a shame, since there's all those nice buttons. Guess the Wiimote is the way to go after all.
    Last edited by WoozleWrangler; 05-24-2010 at 07:42 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Has the save games ever been fixed? I haven't tried snes in almost a year now.

Thanks

Saved games load perfectly fine. All the saved files are saved within each rom which is a nice touch. A screenshot of each saved file is presented in place of the snes cartridge so you can identify the saved state.

Very nice looking emulator

Suck it up, Sucker

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reeko For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (05-24-2010), WoozleWrangler (05-24-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

That sucks about the PS3 controller... that would have been much more convenient. The wiimote would be great for NES as the original controller only has 2 buttons but inconvenient for the SNES in games that utilize all the SNES buttons.

Thanks

Its a shame the wii classic controller isn't straight bluetooth and requires the wiimote i still can't believe we haven't got an official, universal bluetooth remote for the appstore?! developers would eat that up straight away and pretty much everyone and anyone who plays games on their iphone would be tempted.....

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks

I'm noticing that the buttons themselves are hard to press/find at time. would it be possible to make the hotspots larger? Have also been having a little difficulty with Super Mario Kart. It runs great, but controlling it hasn't been without it's hiccups. Seems the accelerator button stops working, or i'll get stuck turning one direction until I remove all my fingers from the iphone's screen.

Great app, been dreaming of this type of iphone/ipad combination

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast