+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New App: SNES (HD) - with iPhone ControlPad

is a discussion within the

General iPad Chat

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
it would be cool to make it an analog instead like they do for other games in the appstore , its more precise
    Thanks

it would be cool to make it an analog instead like they do for other games in the appstore , its more precise
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Thanks

I don't think the iPhone as a controller is good. You need physical buttons. For now the wiimote is the best option. I just hope it supports multi tap for 4 players like this one
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    I don't think the iPhone as a controller is good. You need physical buttons. For now the wiimote is the best option. I just hope it supports multi tap for 4 players like this one
    i dont mind it much, and the volume rocker switch as L and R works nicely -- especially in mario kart.

Just hoping for larger hot spots and the stuck button issue to be sorted out. I use iJoypad quite a bit already for iphone/macbook gaming, so I'm quite adjusted to the lack of tactile feedback.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WoozleWrangler View Post
    good points, reeko. About the wiimote, it actually seems like the PS3 controller would be a better fit, although I guess the Wiimote classic controller would work pretty well. There just aren't a lot of buttons on the standard wiimote.

As for the App store, Apple would never let it in, even if Nintendo was sacrificing virgins to Lord Jobs. Apart from the ban on emulators and interpreted code, it uses a few private frameworks to achieve decent frame rates. So, of course, it's jailbreak or nothing. I just haven't really dived into BTStack yet - it's a little more involved than Apple's framework, which nicely abstracts away most of the Bluetooth protocol. Still, it's obviously the way to go if you want to actually use Bluetooth to talk to other devices. I wonder, now that I'm thinking about it, if the Camera Connection kit would let me just plug a USB joystick in and talk to it directly? There's already some usb joystick code in Snes9x... Another reason to order a camera kit, but it seems like they're on back order for a few weeks. Oh well. I'll look into BTStack and see about porting the existing iPhone controller over. Then it should be pretty easy to get a wiimote/ps3 controller working.

Edit: looks like the PS3 controller uses a non-standard pairing method. According to the people that have made it work under linux, you need to connect over USB to pair the controller to the Bluetooth master. So that might be a deal-breaker, though in theory you could connect your ps3 controller via usb to a linux box and set the iPad's MAC address to be the master. Pretty ugly hack though. If the camera kit detects the PS3 controller as a HID device, it should be possible to do the pairing that way, which would be a lot better. It looks like there's also a special HID command that needs to be sent before the controller starts sending data, and in the linux scenario it took a patch to the USB Hid driver to get it working. Since I don't really know how to muck about with the iPad's HID driver it might just be a no-go. Which is a shame, since there's all those nice buttons. Guess the Wiimote is the way to go after all.
    Thanks a lot for your work man. The emulator looks awesome. It has been running pretty smooth for me also. I think that I will agree when saying that the wiimote is probably the best option.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default New versions - much improved
    Hey guys! I just pushed some new versions to the repo. On the ControlPad app, I enlarged the button hit rectangles so they're easier to press and I fixed that stupid bug with the stuck keys! The controls are much better now. I highly recommend getting the new version. And on the emulator app, I added the web search function, so you can download new roms from inside the app. Just press the Search button at the top-left and a Web View will popup. Whenever you try to download a ROM or zip file, it saves it to /var/mobile/Media/ROMs/SNES and it will appear in the ROM selection list.

Thanks for being my guinea pigs, everyone - I may have rushed this out the door a little, but I think its coming together now.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hey guys! I just pushed some new versions to the repo. On the ControlPad app, I enlarged the button hit rectangles so they're easier to press and I fixed that stupid bug with the stuck keys! The controls are much better now. I highly recommend getting the new version. And on the emulator app, I added the web search function, so you can download new roms from inside the app. Just press the Search button at the top-left and a Web View will popup. Whenever you try to download a ROM or zip file, it saves it to /var/mobile/Media/ROMs/SNES and it will appear in the ROM selection list.

Thanks for being my guinea pigs, everyone - I may have rushed this out the door a little, but I think its coming together now.
    Thanks. It does work better. Nice work. That was really fast.

Edit: Forgot to say that you have to delete the repo and put it back on to see the updates.

Edit #2: For the iPad you do not have to delete the repo. The update showed up right away.
    Last edited by Kevin87; 05-24-2010 at 10:44 PM.

Thanks

The iPhone feels allot more responsive now. Thankyou!! I'm still excited about a controller with haw are buttons (wiimote!) but this will keep me entertained until then

Both updates showed right away for me on my iPhone and my iPad. I should be able to get a few people together later and try the 4 player multi tap feature out.

I haven't got a av out lead, has anyone tried this on a tv/projector??

And you didn't push this out early, this is what jail breaking is all about

I'll be refreshing cydia a few times every day now checking for updates!
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks

Thanks so much for this update! I'm doing so much better on the controls now

I noticed it was hard to press two buttons at the same time, it works if you physically use two fingers to press both buttons, not one as I am used to i.e. thumbtip for one button, ball of thumb to depress the second button.

I decided to give things another go and realized you have placed an invisible button offset between the 2 buttons you'd like to press together. After getting the hang of this, I was back in action just like the old days!

This is such a great package, I can game now with the two devices I carry on me daily, and save my iphone battery by leaving the bulk of the work to the ipad. Top notch!

Incoming donation when I get my lunch break

9. The Following User Says Thank You to x999x For This Useful Post:

WoozleWrangler (05-25-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you x999x! I'm glad the controls are working better - they were driving me crazy too. It's great that you guys are digging this. I might not be able to get much more done on it in the next few days, 'cause I have a bunch of real-life stuff to do, but I'll keep everyone posted.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WoozleWrangler For This Useful Post:

deenybird (05-25-2010), reeko (05-25-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Just wanted to say thanks to the dev. Works great and free to boot!
    The iPhone is a perfect controller because we all have one, most of us don't have wii's
    No signature links.... only warning

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey for some reason cydia won't verify the repo... Anyone know why?
    Last edited by S1xt6en; 05-26-2010 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Found the Repo!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi I'm having trouble with game save states. They don't show up at all when I use them and I'm unsure why.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bcrsonik View Post
    Hi I'm having trouble with game save states. They don't show up at all when I use them and I'm unsure why.
    Highlight your game, and look below the SNES in the middle of the screen, you'll see your save states in a menu at the bottom. Highlight one to see a screen grab of where you left off on the snes cartridge.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah that's the problem. They aren't there. I've tried using both the save state and as a new file option, but neither work.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hi WoozleWrangler, you should get in touch with the guys at motioninjoy.com. They got the PS3 controller to pair on Windows. I've tried their drivers before and it works just as well as any PC controller. Maybe once we pair our ps3 controllers with the pc's with can change the BT master address to redirect it to the iPad's BT? I'm just guessing here but could this possibly work?

BTW great job on the port. Runs absolutely flawless on my end.
    Last edited by tweaker; 05-27-2010 at 09:24 PM.

Thanks

Question: The wiimote will work as a controller because of the BT, so, are there any other BT controllers that would work?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is running great on the iPad, but I can't get the controller to start up on my iPhone 3G w/ OS 3.1.3. I get a black screen for a few seconds, then the app quits. I just installed it today.

Also, it would be major kudos if you got the Wiimote w/ classic controller working for this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by x999x View Post
    Highlight your game, and look below the SNES in the middle of the screen, you'll see your save states in a menu at the bottom. Highlight one to see a screen grab of where you left off on the snes cartridge.
    I'm having the same problem that I cannot save any game. Tried both Save State & Save state to new file.

The save state does not shows up in menu below...maybe it's the new version...hmm
    iPhone 3G 3.1.3
    iPad WIFI 3.2 + Myfi device

Apple just filled my future where all things are "magical".

However, all the magical ideas are from people & developers like us in this forum.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    im gonna try this now! good to see a developer thats accessible and willing to answer questions and take suggestions. I tried contacting Zodttd multiple times no dice and I bought his app.

I have a macbook in my ent center running mame and multiple PS3 controllers perfectly. So I have faith that someone could get this to work even if you have to pair the ps3 controller with your mac first before itll connect to the ipad.

I just tried it! looks great! I had to uninstall snes4iphone cause I think btstack was causing the controller app not to connect. Id def work on either ps3 or wiimote connection cause I just cant get down with the touch screen controller even tho it looks great. I wish apple would just come out with either a small bluetooth controller or a controller case for the iphone.
    Last edited by CrAkD; 05-29-2010 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bcrsonik View Post
    I had solved the problem of inability to save state! Simply SSH (I use Filezilla & install OpenSSH in iPad) into the ipad and change the file permission to 777 to all the related folders (including files) for the SNES HD and REBOOT.

All folders & files (right click -> change permission -> 777 & Recurse into subdirectories & Apply to all files and directories)

Affected folders

/var/mobile/Media/ROMs/SNES
    /Applications/SNES-HD
    iPhone 3G 3.1.3
    iPad WIFI 3.2 + Myfi device

Apple just filled my future where all things are "magical".

However, all the magical ideas are from people & developers like us in this forum.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to simontay78 For This Useful Post:

finagle69 (06-08-2010)