Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Backgrounder app Question

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Backgrounder app Question
    Hi, does this app use alot of cpu? i mean will it be like a heavy app running in the background? and waste battery? thanks ...

ALSO, if i add multiflow, will that also cause battery to drain faster? thanks!
    Last edited by therockk; 05-05-2010 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Backgrounder itself doesn't use much CPU/RAM, but anything running in the background will use just as much as if it was running in the foreground. The app that's running in the background still thinks it's running in the foreground so it can't free up any resources, etc. I would suggest installing SBSettings from the beta repo. Then you can use the Processes button to easily kill anything you're not using. Often it's the apple apps (safari, mail, etc) that use up the most memory, and the Processes button is the only way to kill them. For example, i've been using Atomic Web instead of safari and I've set it up in backgrounder so that it always goes into the background on quit. But sometimes I need to use safari for a minute, and i don't just want to leave it running when I'm done. Processes button to the rescue! SBSettings will also tell you how much memory is free.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Awesome! Thanks for all the info. So i installed backgrounder and i have been watching YouTube videos ALL day non stop while driving ... This started at 2pm until now 1:21am. And i stalk have 39% battery left! AmaIng! Infact i just installed multi flow. Let's see how things go with that .... Yea. I always use SBSettings to shut off processes that are not needed. But now with multi flow I guess i can do the same thing. I like multi flow because after enabling an app to go in the background you don't know after a while which programs are in the background. So it helps ... $4.99 meh ... If it does not drain the battery then it's defineltly worth the money ...

Quote Originally Posted by WoozleWrangler View Post
    Backgrounder itself doesn't use much CPU/RAM, but anything running in the background will use just as much as if it was running in the foreground. The app that's running in the background still thinks it's running in the foreground so it can't free up any resources, etc. I would suggest installing SBSettings from the beta repo. Then you can use the Processes button to easily kill anything you're not using. Often it's the apple apps (safari, mail, etc) that use up the most memory, and the Processes button is the only way to kill them. For example, i've been using Atomic Web instead of safari and I've set it up in backgrounder so that it always goes into the background on quit. But sometimes I need to use safari for a minute, and i don't just want to leave it running when I'm done. Processes button to the rescue! SBSettings will also tell you how much memory is free.