+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to share laptop/iPad with a single secure wifi login page

is a discussion within the

General iPad Chat

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
I am currently travelling in another country and have my iPhone, iPad, and laptop. The hotel gave me a username/login for their unsecured wireless connection. It brings up a webpage
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default How to share laptop/iPad with a single secure wifi login page
    I am currently travelling in another country and have my iPhone, iPad, and laptop. The hotel gave me a username/login for their unsecured wireless connection. It brings up a webpage to login when you connect. Once I use that code for my laptop then my iPad can't use the same code. I am trying to figure out if there is anyway I can update my iPad from here before I go out.

I tried setting up an adhoc wireless connection but this is my work laptop and the security on it prevents me from using it that way and I don't think there is anyway I can change the group policy unless someone has some other wifi software I could install that might work. I don't even know if an adhoc network allows me to bridge.

Is there any way to connect the iPad or iPhone through the usb cable to the computer and use the computers internet from the device? Is there anyway from my laptop in iTunes I can update all of the latest news stories on my iPad like if I had opened the app on the iPad while it was connected to the internet and it downloaded files?

Oh I don't even plan on turning on my iPhone phone data connection through the 3g here due to the outrageous roaming fees. I just have wifi enabled on my iphone.

Thanks,
    Eric

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Ewa,

I was trying to do similar things however what i have discovered is that is seems the iPad will not see/connect to or create ad-hoc (computer to computer) wifi networks. the only way i've solved the problem is to use mywi on iphone (jailbroken) to share 3G to ipad as the mywi apps creates a wireless router network that the ipad will see. this doesn't help solve your overseas problem but it explains one reason that will make it hard to share internet between both at the same time.

I could suggest a simple solution and ask for 2nd username/password. I am interested in JB the iPad so I can see if someone comes up with better internet sharing apps b/t Macbook/iPhone/iPad.

trifster

iPhone? More like MyPhone br8thw8's Avatar
    Thanks
    I was able to setup my laptop for ad hoc Internet sharing and was able to connect my iPad and surf the net. The hotel only had wired Internet. It should work. I'm surprised that the password only works on a single device since usually hotels have just one for all guests to use, instead of making separate passwords for every guest. I'd ask for another password.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for both of your replies. I am going to buy the mywi app for my iphone when I get back to the states to at least allow 3G on my wifi only iPad.

There are several scenarios where I need a way to share my laptop's wireless internet connection with my iPad. At the hotel I am at I have to get a new username/password every day and once you use the login then it ties that username/password to the mac address of my PC and does not allow multiple logins. That sucks for me and they won't get me two login's I am sure other hotels do something similar. The other scenario is that I am on my work laptop and have an IPASS account and logged in for work. I can't use it yet for my iphone or ipad but am going to contact our corporate to hopefully find out.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Wi-Fi Setup abroad
    Have you thought about getting an Airport Extreme plug-in wireless router from apple? When you're in your hotel you can plug the ethernet cable from the hotel into the Airport and then you have a wireless router that you can connect multiple devices to in your room. My wife does this when she travels abroad and is never hampered by the hotel ethernet cable and can move around the room. Just make sure to password protect your router so no one else in the adjacent rooms piggy back...

Green Apple
    Thanks

What if you spoof the MAC address of your computer to be the same as the MAC address of your iPad?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Spitfire that is a great idea. I will try that when I get home and put in the new login credentials. Can I change the Mac of my iPad relatively easily?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Unless there is a jailbreak app out for the iPad, I wouldn't think you could change it's MAC. I was suggesting that you change your laptop's MAC to match the MAC of the iPad.

If you get a new username/password to use for login, sign in with the iPad first. From the way you explain the connection is working, the account will now be tied to your iPad. Change the MAC address of your laptop to match your iPad and then login using the laptop. If it is just securing the connection based on MAC, the network should now see your laptop as your iPad.

Let us know if it works. Good luck!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Download Connectify. It may be the answer to your prayers! ;]

Thanks

Mywi FTW

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I tried the spoofmac app in the Cydia store on my iPhone and that did not work. I was connected to the single user login over wifi with my laptop and I killed my laptop wireless and spoofed the MAC on my iPhone and connected to the wireless. It brought up the wireless login screen I thought for sure that would work.

I am really interested in the connectify app. I am downloading it now and trying it now. Mywi is something I will get also when I get back to the states but that is only good if I am using my iPhone as a wireless router with 3G but I am overseas and there is no good way for me to have cheap cell phone service here.