+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: mywi tethering...help me understand this

is a discussion within the

General iPad Chat

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Going to buy a iPad and was wondering if I can get away without getting 3G and using tethering instead...just read about mywi but need help understanding how this works
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question mywi tethering...help me understand this
    Going to buy a iPad and was wondering if I can get away without getting 3G and using tethering instead...just read about mywi but need help understanding how this works and how to do it please..

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ok let me explain mywi as easy as I can, it basically turns your iphone into a wireless modem which allows the 3g to be broadcast to any wifi capable device such as the ipad or a laptop. Id suggest using the trial version to see how it fits your needs, you have to also avoid keeping it turned on all the time on your iphone as it tends to drain the battery pretty quickly and be sure to use 3.1.2 firmware instead of 3.1.3 as the latter tends to be a little buggy with mywi from my own experience. Sometimes itll jack up and you might have to restart the phone to get it to work properly but once its broadcasting youll see a blue bar on the top of your iphone and then all you need to do is search with the ipad and pick up the signal.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to vtaran For This Useful Post:

six7guy (04-30-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks, I should have been more specific...I currently use my iPhone tethered to my Macbook Pro to get a 3G signal, however, I believe that the iPad will not allow this but there is a way to do it without cutting up your SIM card and transferring it over to your iPad...called mywi??
    Are you familiar with this...or anyone??

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thats what I was explaining, its all mywi, it lets you broadcast the 3g AS wifi the wifi your ipad will pick up will be the 3g. Mywi just transforms(?) it into a wifi signal anything can pick up. Hope that kinda cleared it up.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to vtaran For This Useful Post:

six7guy (04-30-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I understand, thanks...how do I set this up?
    I am guessing this is some kind of third party application since Apple does not build this ability into the iPad...see below...

"Apple chief Steve Jobs gave out a surprise direct answer to the question of iPad tethering tonight. After a Swedish fan e-mailed him personally to ask whether the Wi-Fi-only iPad could share an iPhone's connection, the company executive wrote back from his iPhone to answer a flat "no."
    iPhone-to-iPad tethering wasn't expected to work as no Apple handhelds currently have options to receive a tethered connection unless it's already attached to a computer. Apple is also unlikely to enable such an option as the iPad with 3G potentially addresses most concerns."

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well first off you have to have cydia which means you need to be jailbroken. Then all you do is search for mywi and itll let you download the program its a free trial and after that im not sure exactly how much it costs like 2.99-9.99 somewhere in that area.
    Last edited by Cer0; 04-30-2010 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Big No No

9. The Following User Says Thank You to vtaran For This Useful Post:

six7guy (04-30-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks again...looks like I start with jailbreaking...I am running 3.1.3, can this be done or do I need to figure out how to downgrade to 3.1.2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 889 Posts

Talk about piracy/cracked apps/warez is not allowed. Please do not promote it and please support the developers. It is 9.99$.
    Last edited by Cer0; 04-30-2010 at 09:13 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
    Talk about piracy/cracked apps/warez is not allowed. Please do not promote it and please support the developers. It is 9.99$.
    I sure hope mywi developers has some sort of support for modmyi , I got 3 mywis in 3 iPhones all because of modmyi forum ,hehe

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I tethered my new 3G iPad using mywi, and it works great. See here for how to jailbreak

iClarified - Tutorials - iPhone

It's very easy to do.

And, yes, I paid 9.99 for mywi.
    Last edited by Pipper; 05-01-2010 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Well...
    I am not new to jail-breaking the iPhone, but I am new to the whole Mywi thing... My concern is usage of Mywi, if I installed it should my usage be moderate? The whole point I see of using Mywi with say the iPad would be for streaming movies and such. By doing this I worry At&t would see that my usage has greatly increased, and them saying hey this guy is tethering!! (causing them to either close my account or charging me huge $$) To the people who use Mywi, have you had issues with At&t when your usage was heavy?