Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Ipad or Netbook?

Default Ipad or Netbook?
    I was about to buy a Dell Netbook but decided to wait until I see the Ipad.

Do I buy an Ipad or Netbook? 16GB or 160 GB? Without USB or with? iBook or no iBook?

Help me decide.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tom q For This Useful Post:

#1 iPad Fan (02-13-2010)

That depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for a lighter weight laptop replacement, go with the dell. If you're looking have an extremely light weight device that you check e-mail, surf the web and is super quick, go with the ipad.

Personally I'm going with the ipad because I had a netbook and they're sloooow. Once you load them up with antivirus and a few programs they'll slow down just like any windows machine unless you decide to put a linux distro on it. Also, i find that netbooks are made and look cheap. I think the ipad with it's 9.7 in glass screen and metal body are better made and look nicer.
    I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to geo411m For This Useful Post:

#1 iPad Fan (02-13-2010)

thanks for your input.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tom q For This Useful Post:

#1 iPad Fan (02-13-2010)

To be fair for the price of the iPad you could buy the top of the line netbook (I don't know what that is but I know even $500 is a lot to spend on a netbook). If you are on the fence I would probably recommend a netbook just because it is far more versatile, however the form factor and the OS of the iPad is enough to justify the extra cost for me.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GadgetX For This Useful Post:

#1 iPad Fan (02-13-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetX View Post
    To be fair for the price of the iPad you could buy the top of the line netbook (I don't know what that is but I know even $500 is a lot to spend on a netbook). If you are on the fence I would probably recommend a netbook just because it is far more versatile, however the form factor and the OS of the iPad is enough to justify the extra cost for me.
    I agree. Form factor is a huge asset of the IPad.

No mouse, no wires, 10 hours of battery (we'll see) and a fast OS make this a perfect device for me. Cant wait until they come out.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GTOpilot For This Useful Post:

#1 iPad Fan (02-13-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by GTOpilot View Post
    I agree. Form factor is a huge asset of the IPad.

No mouse, no wires, 10 hours of battery (we'll see) and a fast OS make this a perfect device for me. Cant wait until they come out.
    Agree! I had been thinking about getting a netbook, but working at an electronics store I have played with many many netbooks and they are all really disappointing. I can tell that the iPad will be perfect for everything I would use a netbook for and I think it will be that way for many people.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kylen721 For This Useful Post:

#1 iPad Fan (02-13-2010)

Thanks

I just got rid of my 2 netbooks. Hp mini and msi wind. I think the ipad is wot I had in mind when I brought them. I also brought the acer wen it came out but gave it to my sis. I feel sad tho as I have sold 3 laptops in 2 days. Lol yes 3 inc my MBA but my ex wife and 4 year old daughter used them.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to se23 For This Useful Post:

#1 iPad Fan (02-13-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

if you make $45k a year and live with your parents like i do , then get the ipad and give it a shot ,it won't hurt as much , but get the netbook if you need a budget buy

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mytran80 For This Useful Post:

#1 iPad Fan (02-13-2010)

I just cant call something that is 12" a netbook...
    My MBP is 13.3". A net book has to be much smaller than that for me...
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

#1 iPad Fan (02-13-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I went for the Dell mini10 with a price of $279 for my daughters and intend to put snowleopard on them as soon as I can pry them out of their hands.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

#1 iPad Fan (02-13-2010)

iPad is the way to go, with its fabulous web browsing, email, portability and speed, it is far more superior that a Netbook. Lol I know, My grammar isnt very good.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

How is it superior? With a 160gb HD and 2gb RAM the netbook slays the iPad. Not to mention a full blown OS?

Thanks

lol yeah he prob try sell us them wen they available. ive gone back on my words tho and think the ipad is a little bit naff. i brought an n900 to keep me going till new iphone but maybe a good netbook would be a better buy. oh god idk

Thanks

Go with the Dell netbook and make it a hackintosh. I did it with my 10v and it rocks. It's fast enough and portable. If I do anything serious I switch to my other Dell. You don't need to make any hardware changes to do it at all. The 10v is perfect for it.

Thanks

If anyone is wanting to hackintosh a Dell 10v, mydellmini.com is the place to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Rota View Post
    How about this?

Dual core 1.6GHz Atom
    Nvidia ION Graphics (Esentially a Geforce 9400M)
    12" LED backlit Screen
    2GB RAM (Expandable to 8GB)
    250GB HDD
    Windows 7
    5 hours of battery life under constant use

$481 shipped.

Amazon.com: ASUS Eee PC Seashell 1201N-PU17-SL 12.1-Inch Silver Netbook - 5 Hours of Battery Life: Electronics

I have one of these and it is incredible. I threw 4GB of RAM in mine and it is ridiculously fast. Multitasking is great, I can be extracting huge files, running iTunes, and installing a game all at the same time. Gaming performance is top notch for it's size and price; I can run Mass Effect 2 very well on mine. The 250GB HDD gives you tons of options for what you want to put on yours. I have the majority of my music library on mine for listening on the road.

Furthermore with the ION graphics and Flash 10.1, you can stream full 1080p movies full screen with no lag or stuttering. Also it has three USB ports, HDMI out, and one of the most amazing multitouch touchpads you'll ever use.

The iPad can't even touch it for the price. Most laptops that cost hundreds more don't even have this kind of performance, and this thing is small and light enough to carry around anywhere! Generally I use mine for a straight 4-5 hours a day while in class, taking notes, browsing the web, playing games between classes, and it just takes it like a champ. It really does get a full 5 hours of use while still retaining the awesome performance.
    I have one of those! LOL It is a really awesome netbook but I am going to sell mine on ebay I think the ipad will be more useful to me. I like the idea of pinch to zoom on a 10" touch screen for web browsing and the small form factor of the ipad plus it will be alot more convenient for viewing photos and stuff when i'm out and about. Also I think the ipad will be alot more fun gamingwise when i'm on the go I prefer more casual games so the ipad games appeal more to me for something I can pickup and play quickly as opposed to more in depth pc games that take a couple hours to accomplish things, i'll save those for my desktop at home. I never really ended up playing any of them on the 1201n anyways always just surfed and emailed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rota View Post
    If all you do is surf and email exclusively then yeah the iPad will do that nicely. I bought the 1201n because I do like to be able to play games on the go. I can play Battlefield 2, Mass Effect 2, Fallout 3, and many other games on it just fine. It's compact size and full size keyboard also makes it perfect for me to take it to school for taking notes and running MAPLE and MATLAB in my Calc and Engineering classes. For a computer that'll do both serious work and play, the 1201n can't be beat for the price.
    I like to play games as well, that was main reason I got a 1201n instead of a cheaper netbook but in the end I found I never played games on it because it was too inconvenient, you need to have a mouse with you, you need to find a desk to sit at and then you have to turn the settings down most all the way and crank the resolution down in order to play any decent games and in the end I just found myself rather waiting til I got home so I could play the games the way they were meant to be played with high settings and all on my 27" screen versus the tiny 12" screen.

So for me at least gaming on the go will be better on the iPad they have some great games for iPhone and are already making games for the iPad designed to be run on a small screen using touch controls instead of a mouse, no need for a desk, no need to lower all your settings etc. I would prefer to play these types of games that are more convenient for on the go gaming. So all in all I think I am going to be alot happier with an iPad.

maybe Im just old but I keep hearing playing games playing games playing games living with mommy and daddy so I can suck there money tet and mooch more for free...

O-Please the IPad is a Nice machine that will do everything its ment to and as far as netbooks I use one everyday hacintosh style and its fine..

2 different machines 2 different target groups.

stop bashing and If you had a dam job you would not be worried about playing games but staying employed in a **** econo.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by imnew2hu View Post

stop bashing and If you had a dam job you would not be worried about playing games but staying employed in a **** econo.
    +1

Post of the month?

I had an acer aspire that i hacked and added macosx to it and it was very nice however features such as ilife cause problems because of the resolution.