Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What the iPad should be

Thumbs down What the iPad should be
    The ipad should have been a laptop killer. For this its missing:
    1.- usb ports
    2.- external screen port
    3.- ethernet

I want to upgrade my laptop to a new generation multitouch device, it should be able to dock to a wireless keyboard and (optional) mouse on a stand in my office, wifi to print and internet.

When leaving my office, just unplug ,from power and go, like the iphone does, taking with me files and emails. Its always on capability is a huge step forward from the laptop and mini solutions. The iphone gave me that hope but apparently apple wants granny and grandpa to not get lost using their device.
    I hope that if the closed DRM apple corp doesn't get it right, other company will, like HP.

Also apple makes it hard to access their stuff innards, the pc world is used to tinkering with their stuff.

Id like to read from everyone more suggestions
    Last edited by Oskar.F; 01-29-2010 at 10:24 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

The iPad was never meant to compete with laptops. Apple has it's own line of laptops and wants people to buy BOTH! They are trying to create a product to fill (or create) a market niche which in no way shape or form is supposed to replace any existing computer. There are netbooks out there that you can install OSX on without any modification... that looks like what you're after.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

Oskar.F (02-01-2010)

You should remember that the iPad is in a catagory of its own. theres no "what it should be" or "it should have this"
    This catagory is totally new and Apple makes the rules on what they will put in it
    no signature links or spam

5. The Following User Says Thank You to im_in_love_with_apple For This Useful Post:

Oskar.F (02-01-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    The iPad was never meant to compete with laptops. Apple has it's own line of laptops and wants people to buy BOTH! They are trying to create a product to fill (or create) a market niche which in no way shape or form is supposed to replace any existing computer. There are netbooks out there that you can install OSX on without any modification... that looks like what you're after.
    Nah, I dont like neither mini nor netbooks. They are like crutches for compared to a full computer. I was just hopefull that Apple would come out with something as revolutionary as the iphone. Finally a multituoch portable computer, not a big screen iphone.

Quote Originally Posted by im_in_love_with_apple View Post
    You should remember that the iPad is in a catagory of its own. theres no "what it should be" or "it should have this"
    This catagory is totally new and Apple makes the rules on what they will put in it
    Apple is trying to create a new category but it should give us amnesia for that to happen. Even they tried this category before with the Newton. The only difference is their phone has got the multitouch interface right. Instead of trying to sell the same product in various sizes and features (ipod touch - iphone without the phone components) ipad - supersized iphone/ipod touch

Some company in Asia will come up with this solution im talking about using apple's idea at a fraction of the cost and it will be the netbook/mini revolution again. I just hoped apple would satisfy their long term and newfound customers.
    Last edited by Oskar.F; 02-01-2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Again... you miss the point of the product. It's supposed to supplement what you already have. Apple isn't going to come out with a product that's going to compete internally with it's other products. I mean come on.. think about it. Lets say Apple released a full fledged OSX tablet. I walk into an Apple store wanting a portable computer... I'm going to buy either the tablet or a macbook as they serve the exact same purpose and market niche. Apple would then lose out on half the revenue. Apple wants you to buy an upgraded iPhone every year, an upgraded iPod every year, an upgraded iMac or macbook every 2-3 years, and NOW an upgraded iPad every 1-2 years. This is how they have managed to build their empire and record record profits in the midst of a recession.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Everyone keeps missing the point

That is exactly what they should have done. Kill the laptop division for good. They are stalling for a short term profit, exposing them to the situation where someone will come up with the solution, mostly based on apple's innovation and leaving them as spectators. It happened before with microsoft. I bought the iPhone in anticipation for apple's all in one, full sized computer. Believe, I would have it in my hands right now. I guess well have to wait for them to leech the laptop line some more before actually delivering the product. The macbook air was total bull for me, a feather weight, breakable, no ports latpop, yeah right.

Thanks

Kill the laptop division? It's like I'm trying to reason with a 3 year old over here... OMG.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Kill the laptop division? It's like I'm trying to reason with a 3 year old over here... OMG.
    It's funny cause it's true.

I can't believe people still can't get over the fact that the iPad might not be what they expected and look past that to get to the fact that it is still a good device. Could it be better? what couldn't? but come on people either like it or don't but don't whine about what it should have been, because apple (more specifically Jobs) have proven that they know what they are doing.
    Last edited by kylen721; 02-01-2010 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kylen721 View Post
    It's funny cause it's true.

I can't believe people still can't get over the fact that the iPad might not be what they expected and look past that to get to the fact that it is still a good device. Could it be better? what couldn't? but come on people either like it or don't but don't whine about what it should have been, because apple (more specifically Jobs) have proven that they know what they are doing.
    It will eventually happen, just like CRT's were displaced by LCD and other technologies. My opinion is that apple has the lead right now and could have replaced not only their own laptop line but everyone else, leaving them running after their innovation. Apple did it with the iPhone and that is a great platform to make the next step in the laptop sector. I agree that the pad is a product full innovations for a niche of market, maybe im just dissapointed i cant find multitouch replacement for my laptop, cause tablet pc dont cut it. I want apple's approach because they did away with the stylus in the phone market.