+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I'm in the minority

is a discussion within the

General iPad Chat

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
First of all, I can understand why so many are disappointed in the Ipad. This thing was pumped up to be much more than it turned out to be. With
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default I'm in the minority
    First of all, I can understand why so many are disappointed in the Ipad. This thing was pumped up to be much more than it turned out to be. With lessons learned from the Iphone one would think that this new device would have things like flash capability, multitasking, and a camera.

Yet despite those shortcomings, I think the Ipad is a great device for myself and those of us who could use something that bridges the gap between laptops, netbooks and Iphones.

I am NOT an Apple fanboy. I own one Ipod and an Iphone and I had the phone before I ever bought an Ipod. As far as computers go, I've been PC since 1989 and have no plans of switching.

The increased size over the Iphone and its portability make this device perfect for me albeit within a certain niche. I believe the Ipad will become my machine of choice when it comes to web browsing, which is what I do most on any of my computers. My desktop, laptop, and Iphone still have their place and will continue to fit my needs as required.

I like the Ipad. I realize that this places me in the minority but it fits my lifestyle. And while this is not a device I NEED, it certainly falls into the category of making things a bit easier and more fun.

Flame suit on.

Thanks

I don't think you're in the minority as much as you think. I also think this is a great product. What I do most of the time on my computer is check e-mail, surf the web, watch a movie and read e-books. So in this regard the iPad is perfectly suitable for me.
    Last edited by geo411m; 01-29-2010 at 10:52 AM.
    I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

Thanks

People are very quick to point out why they don't like it and all the things they think it should have but the silent majority don't like to post that they think it's great until they see it.

It is very easy for people to criticise just as they did when the iPhone was announced.

I'm reserving judgement.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

I'm pretty set on getting it myself. I think once they get in stores and people can give them a test run, more people will hop on board.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I don't think you are in the minority at all. A lot of people were caught up in the hype and still haven't given the iPad a fair review.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm going to go ahead and copy and paste a facebook post I made earlier...

"I know the iPad is getting a lot of bad rep right now, but I have full faith in it. I mean, people laughed at the iPhone at first, but look at it now. Has Apple ever really wronged us before? Of course they have! That's why there's Jailbreaking!!!"

iPhone? More like MyPhone dale2's Avatar
    Thanks

I was extremely disappointed, but you are not alone. I'm not a hater. I think it will be pretty cool. Someone just once said to me that it would run OSX and I was like "0: apple finally answers to the netbook?" and then of course that didnt happen.

If it somehow starts supporting flash, I may sell my iPhone and get one. My iPhone doesnt have any internet plan on it atm so its just an iPod that makes calls. Plus I can never enjoy a 3G connection with t-mobile, the no contract 3G data plan is very appealing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GTOpilot View Post
    the gap between laptops, netbooks and Iphones.
    therein lies the problem. there is no gap, at least, not one that needs any kind of "filling". this is why the iPad is terribly redundant and unnecessary. what can an ipad do that i can't do, within reason, on any smart phone? and do i really feel a burning desire to read my newspaper on a 9.7 inch touchscreen instead of a 14 inch laptop?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

There is a lot of things that the iPad is missing and Apple could have gotten just a bit more creative w/ it, but I still dont think it should be getting bashed as bad as it is. I use my laptop only for browsing the web, email, and for traveling sometimes and my iMac for everything else. I plan on replacing the powerbook with an iPad because I believe it can pretty much replace it for how I use my laptop.

The only thing that still has me a little worried is the fact that it doesn't support flash but i think hopefully real soon there will be a solution for that.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    therein lies the problem. there is no gap, at least, not one that needs any kind of "filling". this is why the iPad is terribly redundant and unnecessary. what can an ipad do that i can't do, within reason, on any smart phone? and do i really feel a burning desire to read my newspaper on a 9.7 inch touchscreen instead of a 14 inch laptop?
    While the gap might not be a huge crevasse, it's a smaller niche gap. For instance, the Kindle falls into the area between laptops and smartphone. My wife has one and its pretty cool. While I am not much of a book reader, the kindle concept with the addition of web browsing on a fast and sleek interface, makes for a pretty cool gizmo.

I spend most of my time in my home office which has both a desktop and laptop. When I head to the kitchen or hang out with the family and want to browse the web or google something I use my Iphone. Yes its convenient but it sure is small. Ipad gives me a larger screen and more speed with no wires and the ability to move from room to room...and thats just at home.

Watching my slingbox will also be a big improvement!

So while their might not be a gap for you, there is for me and it sounds like some others as well. I'm certainly not crowning the device as gadget of the year, just excited that there is something new on the horizon that gives me more options.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GTOpilot View Post

I spend most of my time in my home office
    well man that sucks for you. that means no affairs with your hot secretary. (home office fail)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i heard the first update of the iPad will give you flash support, dont know if its true or not.

Thanks

I heard the second update will turn it into a time machine...

Not sure where you heard about Flash but I wouldn't believe everything you hear.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Time machine that's great! I will buy it for sure now

Thanks

I actually got one with the second update but there appears to be a bug.
    I bought it back in time to the present day and it's shrunk and now fits in my hand...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    I actually got one with the second update but there appears to be a bug.
    I bought it back in time to the present day and it's shrunk and now fits in my hand...
    lol ipod