+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Why the iPad Sucks

is a discussion within the

General iPad Chat

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
I don't really post things on this forum, ever, but i havent seen my opinion stated by anyone else ont he internet so i thought why not :3 k, i
    Thanks

Default Why the iPad Sucks
    I don't really post things on this forum, ever, but i havent seen my opinion stated by anyone else ont he internet so i thought why not :3

k, i think that Apple purposefully released the most watered down iPad they could make. As they said they are just focusing on getting it into as many hands as possible first, i think they want to just show a preview of what a device like this could do. I have no doubt that they wont hesitate to load it up with a bunch of features we were expecting but didn't get. They just want to sell it as cheap as possible to get people to like it first. I don't think it should really be bashed as a bad product, its more of just an unfinished product. I think its best to wait until newer versions come out rather than buying this. It shouldn't be as much of a disappointment as it is a preview of things to come. :3

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

then it doesn't suck.

The 1st Gen iPhone was the same way. There were a raft of people that gave many reasons why it "sucked", but it still sold. Why?
    because the vast majority of users wanted it just that way and were happy to use it just that way.

All I've been reading from techies is that it doesn't have this, it doesn't have that, it sucks.

From what I've seen and read, it's gonna appeal to a wide spectrum of users just as it is.

for me, I'll reserve my judgement until I play with one.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

That's the definition of Apple's business model! Give the customer JUST enough for them to want/buy it... then upgrade it every year so they buy it AGAIN!

For anyone that doesn't understand that concept and thinks any Apple product sucks because of lack of features is just retarded. Wait a year and it'll get a few more goodies... wait another year and it'll be better... etc. If Apple packed it full of everything possible the first release they would have nowhere to go.
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 01-28-2010 at 12:59 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

k.nitsua (01-28-2010)

Thanks

Of course its going to be a watered down version of what it could be. Apple releases updates to products annually, so you cant put EVERYTHING in V1 or V2 will be a bust. It happens to every Apple product, but it is more evident now because a tablet has been created before. With the iPhone, it was so revolutionary, people saw past many of the features lacking in it. Also, I think people's opinion of the tablet will get better as companies make apps just for the iPad using it all of its features to separate it from the iPhone...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

Just wait likeone year from now and see how it becomes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post

For anyone that doesn't understand that concept and thinks any Apple product sucks because of lack of features is just retarded. If Apple packed it full of everything possible the first release they would have nowhere to go. [/B][/COLOR]
    erm, it's called innovation. you create new features, and release them. i seriously doubt that apple has the features mapped out for it's next 3 releases. we're seeing new technologies released all the time, those are reflected in new releases of all types of technologies. it's mapped as an accelerating curve, plain and simple. better technology begets better technology begets better technology... it's a cycle, and a glorious one. you obviously don't understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by Clem-Clone View Post

The 1st Gen iPhone was the same way.
    nope, it wasn't. the iphone did something no other phone did (well) at the time. you could use a maps app, which integrated with your phone, which integrated with your internet. it was a new approach, and it worked. the only things missing in the iphone were frivolous. like video recording and the ability to buy fart apps.
    Last edited by lolcats1; 01-28-2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

is it just me or is it just an iPod Touch with a 9.7" screen and iBookStore??

Thanks

I have a reason why it sucks.

There's no market for the device.

Anything you can't do with your smartphone you can do on your laptop. And with the iPad, you'd have the same inconvenience of carrying around a laptop, except it doesn't have nearly as much functionality. It would be nice to have if they sold it with a shrink ray so you could carry it in your pocket then blow it up when you're going to use it (no pun intended lol).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    nope, it wasn't. the iphone did something no other phone did (well) at the time. you could use a maps app, which integrated with your phone, which integrated with your internet. it was a new approach, and it worked. the only things missing in the iphone were frivolous. like video recording and the ability to buy fart apps.
    The 1st iPhone's maps was extremely weak. Triangulation put you in a multi-mile area. The iPhone has improved a ton since it was first released. Video, MMS, GPS, Push, AppStore, iTunes Store, and a lot more. Most of these features couldve definitely been implimented into the first iPhone, but Apple held back and now the 3GS is one of the highest selling phones out there...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

Ya know its funny to see how many people are ******** about the iPad, for those of you that wanted a MB/MBP equivalent tablet running snow leopard you should really stop crying and check out axiotron modbook which has been available for quite some time now. Granted it doesn't have the magical full-fledged OS X tablet interface with fancy graphics and the like. That being said there are plenty of capable devs out there so if thats what you want hire one and have them make you a finder replacement. Now that is out of the way I do too have a few qualms with the iPad: 1-No Flash(come on steve...wtf?) 2-No front facing camera(likely in the pipeline though) 3-No connectivity with external devices, IE cameras, Flash Drives, SD cards, etc.

Now on the software end I'm not sure if there is any built in network printing support but it would be really nice if there was. Lastly I would have liked to see a more finder-esque interface with a desktop and some sort of column view file browser with a side bar including a whatever you put there, perhaps a network services icon that allows users to browse and connect to fileservers, streaming media etc. A file system consisting of an Apps folder with different categories(IE Games, Office, Utilities, etc) Also containing other things like downloads folder, a docs, pics, video, music, etc. of course a hacked version would yield access to the entire filesystem. Quicklook and the ability to move, copy, delete files etc would also be great. The upside is that this is all doable on a jailbroken iPad and some ambitious devs.Good news is after we jailbreak we can get more dock realestate, stacks, backgrounder, multifl0w and the like. Oh yeah one last thing hand writing recognition would be great and make it far easier to take notes, a bit unfortunate considering we already have inkwell.

Now that I've voiced my complaints, a few of which ought to be fixable(suprised we havent seen a real flash solution yet outside of gordon, yxflash and others...I bet we'll see it soon....hopefully!)

Now for the positive this nifty little device is just what I've been looking for....It does everything I do frequently on a daily basis(Word Processing, Web Browsing, email, music and videos) From the looks of it will do it a whole heck of alot better than my netbook I have right now. This was a purpose built device and it seems to meet those goals quite well. What it isn't intended to be is your standard computer that is designed for a wide range of tasks. The hardware seems to look pretty damn good to me, if I wanted a C2D with a bunch of ram and a big HDD I'd get a ModBook. If I need something processor intensive I'll use a desktop or laptop, this is something that is quite that would be very useful in my day to day life, with a few modifications it could be near perfect. Just a though if some company was innovative enough they could integrate a front facing cam into a case that attached to the dock connector with a pass through to allow for the 30-pin connector to still be used. All they would need next is a good web conferencing app to match and apples approval(doubt that would happen but maybe we could see it in cydia?) Additionally we've already seen a proof-of-concept of this on the iphone using mirrors.

Bottom line is this looks like a great device that could be very useful, sure it has some shortcomings but thats what the dev/hacking community is great at fixing. I can't say I am super impressed but I am certainly not disappointed, Once I have a little extra cash I'll be getting one, The built in keyboard and external monitor support is great. Just my two cents.
    Last edited by mvhurlburt; 01-29-2010 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Accidently hit submit before I was finished

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mvhurlburt View Post
    Ya know its funny to see how many people are ******** about the iPad, for those of you that wanted a MB/MBP equivalent tablet running snow leopard you should really stop crying and check out axiotron modbook which has been available for quite some time now. Granted it doesn't have the magical full-fledged OS X tablet interface with fancy graphics and the like. That being said there are plenty of capable devs out there so if thats what you want hire one and have them make you a finder replacement. Now that is out of the way I do too have a few qualms with the iPad: 1-No Flash(come on steve...wtf?) 2-No front facing camera(likely in the pipeline though) 3-No connectivity with external devices, IE cameras, Flash Drives, SD cards, etc.
    LOL, please go watch the keynote and read the specs and revise your post, it makes you look retarded

Thanks

Oh excuse me it does connect to cameras....your right that does make me look retarded...No actually you must be because you've missed the overall point which is the following because it obviously needs to be spelled out for you: It would be nice if the iPad had more support for external USB devices, such as block mass storage devices and other useful peripherals. Again pardon me for a fairly simple error....If that makes someone look retarded then 90% of the members of this message board must have some mental disability of sorts. As far as your post goes what is wrong with people on the web these days they'd rather *****, sling insults and start flame wars rather than actually contribute something relevant. It would have been sufficient to point out that a camera kit is offered...but you know what your right that does make me look retarded therefore discrediting the entire post....yeah sure. Try contributing something of actual value sometime....

Thanks

oh and another reason i forgot to mention is i believe this is why the ipod touch still doesnt have a camera. If they gave the ipod touch a camera but then released an iPad without one it would look twice as useless. I bet they are just waiting for the next gen ipad to put the cameras into both the ipad and the ipod touch.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

^^ Agreed... I don't think the iPad will get a front facing one in the next generation though.. just one to take pictures.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

iPad blows.
    Last edited by one1; 01-29-2010 at 05:39 PM.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    iPad blows.
    five dah-la