View Poll Results: Do you wish you had fully working bluetooth and do you think my theory will work?

Voters
734. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah, I miss bluetooth. I think this could work!

605 82.43%
  • Bluetooth was great, but your theory will never work...

40 5.45%
  • I don't care for bluetooth much, but this might just work...

25 3.41%
  • Nah, I hate bluetooth. Couldn't care less what you think!

6 0.82%
  • This is a good theory, I'm willing to try and make it happen. =]

58 7.90%
+ Reply
Page 1 of 12 123 11 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: BLUETOOTH: I think it's time for action...

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey, Im not so sure if this has been covered before... but I can't find any major topics on this issue in my skimming of the forum... But I have
    My iPhone is a Part of Me MattMac's Avatar
    Thanks

Default BLUETOOTH: I think it's time for action...
    Hey,
    Im not so sure if this has been covered before... but I can't find any major topics on this issue in my skimming of the forum... But I have come across this thread and it has sparked my once interest in the topic of BLUETOOTH...

And going by what the has been posted and discussed, there is no reason that this isn't impossible...

It is noted in the MMI Wiki, here, that the iphone only has 2 out of the 25 possible bluetooth profiles... Meaning that the bluetooth feature is fully functional, it just needs the profiles to run it...

My theory is, couldn't you basically port the needed profiles to the iPhone and make an application to manage them allowing us to send files to other phone, use the iphone as a dial-up device, and the many more features bluetooth had once blessed us with... My questions are "is this, at all possible?" and "has anyone actually tried it?"

Please developers, here my call, and hopefully others, and try and develop a way for us to used the full capabilities of bluetooth like would with our Nokia's...

I will be willing to donate to anyone who will develop a way to use the full functionality of bluetooth on our iPhones, I urge others to do so too...

Matt.
    16GB iPhone 3G
    2.2 Pwned
    Dedicated Cydia User

2.2 GHz Intel MacBook

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Bootcamp w/ Windows XP

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MattMac For This Useful Post:

dazzasparks (07-11-2010), deandaman (09-15-2008), hoya89 (08-03-2008)

Uko
    Thanks

What can I tell. Bluetooth file transfer is cool, but actually I can live without it. But there is such thing as A2DP & it will be really cool to have wireless headphones working on the iPhone without $75 adapter.

As for theory... well I hope it will work, but there are tons of developers in the world & it's strange that no one have figured this thing before.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uko View Post
    What can I tell. Bluetooth file transfer is cool, but actually I can live without it. But there is such thing as A2DP & it will be really cool to have wireless headphones working on the iPhone without $75 adapter.

As for theory... well I hope it will work, but there are tons of developers in the world & it's strange that no one have figured this thing before.
    I know what you mean..
    It seems almost like none of them have been giving it any thought at all..
    Well, maybe they have, but bluetooth gives many advantages.
    Having the full features opens up a world of possibilities.

Make sure you vote man. =]
    16GB iPhone 3G
    2.2 Pwned
    Dedicated Cydia User

2.2 GHz Intel MacBook

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Bootcamp w/ Windows XP

Thanks

matt,
    i as well as you MISS BLUETOOTH SO MUCH! lol
    but really, my bro is like "yo send me that song" im like... "cant"...

lol but really... im sure devs have tried but maybe failed, maybe someon has got it but its a big project and hell release it soon complete (as a surprise so to say)....
    previously known as iWant 1.1.1
    ...my dev-base...

iPhone 3G 16GB Black
    Factory Unlocked

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

hopeing this will work but i doubt it.
    if you look at the files on your iphone you will notice music is oddly categorised and kind of imposssible to tell which song is which; this means any recieved songs are going to be difficult to impliment unless you have the app change received data the same way itunes does. But also sent songs are going to be oddly named and possibly even iphone only encrypted so the app might even have to do major decoding before send the song.

The iphone isn't like any other phone or mp3 player with simple folders for music and video with basic compatability. But may be just maybe its possible.
    You should beable to send pictures quite easily I know that much.
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iWant 1.1.1 View Post
    matt,
    i as well as you MISS BLUETOOTH SO MUCH! lol
    but really, my bro is like "yo send me that song" im like... "cant"...

lol but really... im sure devs have tried but maybe failed, maybe someon has got it but its a big project and hell release it soon complete (as a surprise so to say)....
    Lol, thanks for cracking a joke dude.

But no one has documented that they have failed... And I know that it would be a long and difficult task... But like SwirlyMMS they could make it bit by bit.

Just to port one of the profiles and maybe even be able to use it would be a huge advancement...

Could you pull a profile off another phone or off a computer and put it into the phone or would there be compatibility issues?

If we can produce tools such as ZiPhone to downgrade the bootloader and pnwed to override the iPhone checking for signed code than I'm sure this can be done to since it isn't a hardware issue...

Quote Originally Posted by seann33uk View Post
    hopeing this will work but i doubt it.
    if you look at the files on your iphone you will notice music is oddly categorised and kind of imposssible to tell which song is which; this means any recieved songs are going to be difficult to impliment unless you have the app change received data the same way itunes does. But also sent songs are going to be oddly named and possibly even iphone only encrypted so the app might even have to do major decoding before send the song.

The iphone isn't like any other phone or mp3 player with simple folders for music and video with basic compatability. But may be just maybe its possible.
    You should beable to send pictures quite easily I know that much.

The songs aren't encryped. The only thing changed on the music file is the name. The song information (Song name, artist, album, etc.) remain imbedded. You can take the song off the phone and play it on any Windows computer that has never even had iTunes installed for example. The app I stated could read the tags on the music for use in finding the right song to send and rename it for sending to another phone so the recipient would know the name.

LOL. But that's getting more technical... Starting off sending a picture would be the best start. As you said, that would be the easiest.

Matt
    Last edited by MattMac; 04-01-2008 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Errm
    16GB iPhone 3G
    2.2 Pwned
    Dedicated Cydia User

2.2 GHz Intel MacBook

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Bootcamp w/ Windows XP

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

the idea is defiantly cool. I'd love to have the added feature's of other bluetooth services.

Thanks

dropcopy recognises song names and artists no problem.

I like the thread matt, really hope we can get some kind of an answer from someone who knows this time rather than letting another Bluetooth thread fade away.

I would rather a dev said "no its not possible" rather than never hearing anything!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'm sure our pleas don't fall on deaf ears. Somebody will most likely do something with bluetooth eventually.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yup! This would be amazing one thing... I could connect to one of my friends Samsungs MP3 players soo thats something

ads

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

from what i have heard is that it is a hardware issue rather than a software issue and the iphone does not have the hardware for bluetooth file transfer. therefore not really possible. i'm no developer just an over zealous iphone freak like the rest of you, but this is what i have gathered from various threads and forums.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reeko View Post
    dropcopy recognises song names and artists no problem.

I like the thread matt, really hope we can get some kind of an answer from someone who knows this time rather than letting another Bluetooth thread fade away.

I would rather a dev said "no its not possible" rather than never hearing anything!
    Yeah, there are many apps that can read the song name and artist. I'm sure it would be possible to add this to the bluetooth program...

Same, I would much rather a big NO then have it ignored... I would like to hear from a dev

Quote Originally Posted by unlockme View Post
    from what i have heard is that it is a hardware issue rather than a software issue and the iphone does not have the hardware for bluetooth file transfer. therefore not really possible. i'm no developer just an over zealous iphone freak like the rest of you, but this is what i have gathered from various threads and forums.
    Well that's not what's stated here: http://www.modmyi.com/wiki/index.php...hone_doesnt_do

- Bluetooth DUN Profile Unlike nearly every other Bluetooth enabled cell phone, the iPhone will not share its internet connection with other devices (e.g. a laptop). In fact, out of roughly 25 common Bluetooth profiles for cell phones, the iPhone only supports two (see: iPhone's Bluetooth is dumb, purposely crippled or both?). This is a limitation of the firmware/OS, not the hardware.
    There have been reports of people sharing their iPhone internet connection via a SOCKS or HTTP proxy over an ad-hoc WiFi network; this requires running SSH and/or "srelay", manual IP address configuration, etc; see: Tether your iPhone: EDGE internet on your laptop.
    It would seem that it was purely software...
    16GB iPhone 3G
    2.2 Pwned
    Dedicated Cydia User

2.2 GHz Intel MacBook

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Bootcamp w/ Windows XP

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well it is, the iPhone HAS the necessary hardware for file transfer via bluetooth

Thanks

Come on Dev's, please give us a reply, even if its an "It just wont work..."
    Remember I am willing to donate.

Please, if others are interested in this offer to donate, even just a little bit... Gives a reason to start this project...
    16GB iPhone 3G
    2.2 Pwned
    Dedicated Cydia User

2.2 GHz Intel MacBook

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Bootcamp w/ Windows XP

Thanks

*BUMP* (and i will continue to bump daily until we get an answer!)

Thanks

I highly doubt you will see this feature added. For us to utilize all 25 profiles we would need to actually edit the firmware to do so. If it were that easy we would have already developed such an app to do so
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you out

Thanks
    even if some one was to make thi profiles, the fact that every one forgate is that, iphone's disk is incrypted.

when you try to anything with it, it will not allow you. As it stands there is no disk support other then, putting things in phone via itune.

So firstly

bluetooth soft will need to be done in such a way that some space of 8/16gb become available for file transfer and then may be its possile.

as an example the safari does not download anything, which uses same rule. the phone does not allow it.

correct me if i am wrong

thanks

Livin the iPhone Life heath_rox's Avatar
    Thanks

i thourght i couldn't live without it especially at my school but hey i just say "how bout u email it 2 me "
    "Its better to be a pirate than join the navy"Steve Jobs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by m3thodandr3d View Post
    I highly doubt you will see this feature added. For us to utilize all 25 profiles we would need to actually edit the firmware to do so. If it were that easy we would have already developed such an app to do so
    Well what if we started off with a few and see where it took us then?
    I mean we all probably don't need all 25 profiles...
    I know the firmware is encrypted... but can't it be decrypted?
    And as for the application, SwirlyMMS uses the second part of the disk along with many other apps. I'm sure this one could too and have a size check for when sending files.
    16GB iPhone 3G
    2.2 Pwned
    Dedicated Cydia User

2.2 GHz Intel MacBook

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Bootcamp w/ Windows XP

Developer
    Thanks

the iphone pwnage project enables us to build custom ipsw packages, which could enable us to embed these profiles. and even pwnage does not exist, there is always good ol' ssh that has access to root as well. so i don't see why excuses such as "cannot access the firmware" or "encrypted" can explain why bluetooth profiles are not possible.

the only problem now is to figure out where apple put these profiles, and are these profiles different for every phones.
    Why Donate : Because apps should not have a pricetag =)

iPark 0.1 | iDope BETA | wk iPhone Apps | wkLive service