+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Animated icons - apng

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Now that I have left my iOS modding period behind me to spend any little spare time I have on another field, I came across an old "To Do"project that
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 490 Posts

Default Animated icons - apng
    Now that I have left my iOS modding period behind me to spend any little spare time I have on another field, I came across an old "To Do"project that I had put aside month ago. Maybe somebody else is interested in this.
    The idea came as Durben came up with iWidgets to animate icons on the springboard. Well, springboard icons are png files and there are animated png files like the bouncing ball below (also attached!)

If you do not see the ball bouncing then use Chrome browser and install the APNG plugin.
    Opera browser also can display animated png, Safari can not!

As you can see there are animated png files and you also can create them yourself, see APNG software.
    Will it work on iOS?
    Yes, see APNG - iTunes.
    The problem is the png library, it needs to be replaced with a newer version that also can open apng files. The above APNG-iTunes app is OpenSource and you can get the Xcode project code. However Xcode does not create dylibs, it is all build-in these days, and to have a apng dylib would be great.
    That's when I stopped, as there was something else coming up and I never came back to this.
    Maybe somebody else can find some interest in this and maybe some time in the future we all can enjoy new themes with animated png icons.
    Last edited by rasputin007; 09-14-2013 at 02:34 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rasputin007 For This Useful Post:

Ian Nicoll (01-06-2014), Jato_BZ (09-15-2013), King_O_Hill (01-07-2014), nateD (01-06-2014)