+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Modify Whatsapp Localizable.strings

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hello everyone, I would like to change the Whatsapp notification banner message from "WhatsApp Message from {contact name} to WhatsApp Message Received". My intention is to have better privacy while
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Modify Whatsapp Localizable.strings
    Hello everyone,

I would like to change the Whatsapp notification banner message from "WhatsApp Message from {contact name} to WhatsApp Message Received". My intention is to have better privacy while other people is viewing my phone and a message is received, the sender's name can be hidden.

I tried to navigate using iFile and arrive at Localizable.strings in whatsapp.app , I modified the strings from:
    "Message from %@" = "Message Received";

I saved and respring, but it doesn't take effect. Am I doing it the correct way? Please guide me, thanks!

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't use whatsapp, and it's been a little while since I've done iOS development, but I think it's not possible to do what you're trying.

Push notifications that come in while an app is not running don't actually run the app at all. It's just a small packet of data saying which app, and the notification. iOS then displays that notification according to your preferences, and doesn't start the app until you actually click the notice. This means that "Message from {contact name}" is the actual text of the push notification that whatsapp sends to your phone.

Certain apps that stay running in the background (like skype) generate notifications locally rather than through a server push, and in theory this would work on that type of app. It's also possible that if whatsapp stays open for a few minutes on multi-tasking, you'll see it work in that situation. Otherwise whatsapp would need an option for masking names in the push notifications it sends.

You might be able to use a jailbreak notification tweak to get the desired effect, but I'm not sure. Something like leave on app badges, but turn off notification center, and use open notifier for a taskbar icon indicating a new message.
    Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. -- M.C. Escher
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge. -- D.J. Boorstin

3. The Following User Says Thank You to krosis For This Useful Post:

wL0316 (08-19-2013)