+ Reply
Page 89 of 197 FirstFirst ... 39 798788899091 99 139 189 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,780 of 3938

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Widget Weather

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Originally Posted by Azjonnyg I used to be a studio production student, the music industry is behind the times and need to change their marketing strategies. That said, most of
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,348 Times in 4,249 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Azjonnyg View Post
    I used to be a studio production student, the music industry is behind the times and need to change their marketing strategies. That said, most of the music is free mixtapes from datpiff or livemixtapes, However I go to shows and buy merchandise. The music industry could take a note from the hip hop mix tape community.
    There's merit in what you're suggesting here. Things 'do' need to change to some degree. But stealing is stealing - if you get whole CD's of music at pirate sites. Mix tapes are different. But you said "I haven't bought a CD in years".. that's not just referring to mix tapes, bro.
    Plus I'm of the napster generation, too naive to regard the negative implications it may have on the people behind the scenes, yet so accessible it became commonplace
    This argument has zero merit. And would be no different than saying - "Wanting/needing money is commonplace - therefore I just robbed a bank. No big." Wise up. Your generation is stealing, bro. Period. End of story. No way to justify it.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

From Scotland, live in Philippines, German company, work worldwide, currently in Sri Lanka.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,281 Times in 3,735 Posts

I think I bought 4 cd's in the last 5 years, lucky if there is one "chart" song per year comes out worth buying, but I'm getting on in years and find myself listening to more "new country" last cd I bought was a Vince Gill one along with the "Hell Freezes Over" DVD, I use PB for all the American TV series I can't get in whatever Country I'm in, very handy as Brazil & China TV is not for me.

2hrs to kill till my driver arrives.

What new debate can I start now

"If it's not broken, I'll fix it till it is"

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ian Nicoll For This Useful Post:

hemptation (11-13-2013), King_O_Hill (11-13-2013), Marty McFly (11-13-2013), mcooper (11-13-2013), The_Durben (11-13-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 14,751 Times in 6,860 Posts

What's a CD? Anything like a Record or Cassette Tape?

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Azjonnyg (11-13-2013), hemptation (11-13-2013), Ian Nicoll (11-13-2013), King_O_Hill (11-13-2013), lostinthemes (11-17-2013), Marty McFly (11-13-2013), The_Durben (11-13-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Azjonnyg's Avatar
    Thanks

So you're saying you've never used pirated software, downloaded a CD, downloaded a movie, downloaded TV shows, recorded a football game without the express written consent of the NFL, used your neighbors Wi-Fi, complained at a restaurant to get free dessert, stolen cable, gone to a potluck and not contribute, downloaded music instruments or samples, complained to your cable company to get better or more premium service, Picked up a dollar off the street that you know didn't belong to you, Parked at a parking meter that already had money in it, not even once?!? Sainthood is in your future! I'm not as big of a music pirate as my original post makes me out to be I do listen mostly to mix tapes and I purchased a lot of music off iTunes, I've also pirated my fair share of music however I always make sure to support the artists and the only person that I feel any guilt towards is the artist and the lowly studio engineer because I know how tough of a career it is to break into much less to be successful at. I do not however feel any pity for the RIAA, record companies, record executives, agents or anyone down the chain the only ones that I feel any sort of guilt towards are the artist and the studio engineer. The napster generation could also be considered the troll generation :-) ...

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    What's a CD? Anything like a Record or Cassette Tape?
    Cd is like mp3s only permanent and inconvenient with a sacrifice in achievable quality. It's the laser disc to our blu-ray

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Azjonnyg For This Useful Post:

hemptation (11-13-2013), mcooper (11-13-2013), Simon (11-13-2013)

From Scotland, live in Philippines, German company, work worldwide, currently in Sri Lanka.
    Thanks

I remember when I was maybe 14 or 15 waiting for the good songs to come on the radio cassette so I could tape them so I'm a thief too, but the blank cassette I bought was from the record company (Sony eg), and so was the cassette recorder, maybe they unknowingly started their own demise!
    Same thing with CD/DVD recorders, the same people making the movies sold us devices to copy them!

I feel for the music industry (well the artists), it has really suffered the last decade & more, but they must also respect the have partially themselves to blame.

Lets face it, we've all been a thief at one time or another... fact.... no debate.... period...the end, or you're not human, or you might be a girl. Boys will be boys!
    Last edited by Ian Nicoll; 11-13-2013 at 01:56 PM.

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ian Nicoll For This Useful Post:

Azjonnyg (11-13-2013), hemptation (11-13-2013), King_O_Hill (11-13-2013), lostinthemes (11-17-2013), Marty McFly (11-13-2013), mcooper (11-13-2013), Simon (11-13-2013), The_Durben (11-13-2013)

Thanks

^that is literally the one example I meant to put in that list and forgot. Thanks haha

Thanks
    Thanked 1,465 Times in 600 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    This argument has zero merit. And would be no different than saying - "Wanting/needing money is commonplace - therefore I just robbed a bank. No big." Wise up. Your generation is stealing, bro. Period. End of story. No way to justify it.
    That's a little too black and white. You can't compare using Napster with robbing bank.
    As long as there's hate in your heart, there'll be hate in the world. You can't fight for peace and you cannot capture freedom.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mcooper For This Useful Post:

hemptation (11-13-2013)

Thanks

Is the the WW thread?

Sorry Derrick, I'm gonna shut up.
    Last edited by Ian Nicoll; 11-13-2013 at 02:02 PM.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ian Nicoll For This Useful Post:

hemptation (11-13-2013), King_O_Hill (11-13-2013), Marty McFly (11-13-2013), The_Durben (11-13-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,085 Times in 2,243 Posts

Don't worry everyone, I am here to exacerbate the situation. Grant, please brace yourself...

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Krima For This Useful Post:

Azjonnyg (11-13-2013), hemptation (11-13-2013), King_O_Hill (11-13-2013), Marty McFly (11-13-2013), mcooper (11-13-2013)

Thanks

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azjonnyg For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (11-13-2013), Marty McFly (11-13-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 40,559 Times in 7,513 Posts

Thanks for all the words of encouragement y'all
    I'll say I do get frustrated but try to not let it bother me.
    I'll still do what I do regardless.

Sk3tch thanks for the post dude and the icon psd's
    And I wasn't only really referring to my packages, some big name themers you all know and respect I've had the I guess the unfortunate opportunity to see total legit sales (numbers and dollars) vs just a small portion of the pirated downloads. It's ridiculous when you look at it. And it's only getting worse

As Jima6636 said to me the other day these guys don't even give a chance to a creator to make a few bucks. A year or so ago, maybe more now you'd see your stuff pirated after a week or maybe two after it was released.
    My last three packages were done in under two hours of release. Its inevitable in this day and age that it will be pirated but even the pirates should give a chance for creators to get a little something back.

On a happier note -> My sincere THANKS to everyone for your donations/purchases!
    Appreciated more than you know

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The_Durben For This Useful Post:

hemptation (11-13-2013), Ian Nicoll (11-14-2013), King_O_Hill (11-13-2013), lostinthemes (11-17-2013), Sk37cH (11-13-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Azjonnyg View Post
    So you're saying you've never used pirated software, downloaded a CD, downloaded a movie, downloaded TV shows, recorded a football game without the express written consent of the NFL, used your neighbors Wi-Fi, complained at a restaurant to get free dessert, stolen cable, gone to a potluck and not contribute, downloaded music instruments or samples, complained to your cable company to get better or more premium service, Picked up a dollar off the street that you know didn't belong to you, Parked at a parking meter that already had money in it, not even once?!? Sainthood is in your future! I'm not as big of a music pirate as my original post makes me out to be I do listen mostly to mix tapes and I purchased a lot of music off iTunes, I've also pirated my fair share of music however I always make sure to support the artists and the only person that I feel any guilt towards is the artist and the lowly studio engineer because I know how tough of a career it is to break into much less to be successful at. I do not however feel any pity for the RIAA, record companies, record executives, agents or anyone down the chain the only ones that I feel any sort of guilt towards are the artist and the studio engineer. The napster generation could also be considered the troll generation :-) ...
    No, I'm not a regular stealer of other people's things. The only time I've ever been drawn in to 'crossing' the line is 'demo-ing' something before I buy it. Many companies don't offer demo periods -- and the reason they don't is PRECISELY BECAUSE of the potentials for cracking of their software. So I've occasionally given in to using a cracked version as an evaluation period. But within 30 days I always erase things and then buy them if I want them. As to 'the Napster generation' -- it's all an 'I deserve this because I want it' mentality. It's just immaturity. When you get into the real world you learn a different story. You can't just 'take' what you want - because it's available. I call 'thieves' thieves - because that's what they are. And we don't use precise language anymore in this moral relativistic culture brought in by the Millennial and Internet generations.

You're probably a great guy, Azjonnyg. But on this topic I just can't give you an 'inch' because you'll (and others that think the way you do) take that mile and try to find ways of justifying it to yourself... greedy record companies, blah, blah, blah.. It's all just nonsense to try and make you feel less guilty about the stealing. There's a 'Robin Hood' mentality in the younger generations too. I feel the same way about unlocking in-contract phones - but that's been debated to death in other threads... Won't go there here..

Bottom line. Downloading pirated music is stealing. There's just no argument that can make it be something else. It is, IN FACT, 'stealing'. Now you can justify it all you want and we can agree or agree to disagree on your 'justification'. But don't CHANGE the terminology to make yourself feel better. Don't say it's not stealing - when it clearly is. Go ahead and say... "MY STEALING IS JUSTIFIED by x, y, x...."... But don't call it something it's not. That's all I'm asking. Well - I'm also asking you NOT to do it.. Go out - get off your butt playing games on your computer all day -- get an extra job - and download from iTunes and other reputable sources that pay the artists for their creation. It's NOT hard.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

lostinthemes (11-17-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 15,551 Times in 4,070 Posts

The artists have enough money so ill gladly steal there music. If they stop bragging about the fact they have all they have then 10 mins later try and tell me how hard they have it ill reconsider my stance on it.

What's wrong with Robin Hood mentality, maybe of more people were sensitive to others situations that mentality would disappear.

Also stop blaming kids until you can back it up. Biggest pirates out there are 25+. Ill produce my facts when you do yours.
    Click My Sig For my auros Mods

24. The Following User Says Thank You to GUNNY29 For This Useful Post:

hemptation (11-13-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,465 Times in 600 Posts

@NewdestinyX it takes a big man to admit he's a thief. I respect you for that.
    As long as there's hate in your heart, there'll be hate in the world. You can't fight for peace and you cannot capture freedom.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to mcooper For This Useful Post:

hemptation (11-13-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,405 Times in 780 Posts

well you can blame each other, i pay the creator most of all because i know the time they spend to get all the bitchy people happy, the people that cant create anything on their own, but always demand new stuff, better stuff, personal stuff, and so on, i dont have much money on my own these days, but i always support the creator's

respect

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Heine For This Useful Post:

hemptation (11-13-2013), Jato_BZ (11-13-2013), King_O_Hill (11-13-2013), lostinthemes (11-17-2013), NewdestinyX (11-13-2013), The_Durben (11-13-2013)

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,152 Times in 5,907 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Nicoll View Post
    Is the the WW thread?

Sorry Derrick, I'm gonna shut up.
    Never think that you have to shut up on this thread Ian. Treat it as your own bro!
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

hemptation (11-13-2013), Ian Nicoll (11-14-2013), lostinthemes (11-17-2013), Marty McFly (11-13-2013), The_Durben (11-13-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GUNNY29 View Post
    Also stop blaming kids until you can back it up. Biggest pirates out there are 25+. Ill produce my facts when you do yours.
    25+ for business software.. 10+ for music.. Phone apps. No-brainer as to why that would be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Heine View Post
    well you can blame each other, i pay the creator most of all because i know the time they spend to get all the bitchy people happy, the people that cant create anything on their own, but always demand new stuff, better stuff, personal stuff, and so on, i dont have much money on my own these days, but i always support the creator's

respect
    Exactly Heine. In 1st and 2nd world cultures - Stealing is always about laziness and basic disrespect in the form of a sense of "entitlement".
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 11-13-2013 at 04:51 PM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

lostinthemes (11-17-2013)

Thanks

Not proof. I shouldn't of expected anymore tho really.

Just told you my reasons for it and neither were laziness or disrespectful.

Thanks

The artists have enough money so ill gladly steal there music. If they stop bragging about the fact they have all they have then 10 mins later try and tell me how hard they have it ill reconsider my stance on it.
    This statement doesn't speak well of how you roll, bro.

Not proof. I shouldn't of expected anymore tho really.
    You know darn well you don't have a proof text for your statement. We don't need one. It's common sense. Those "without" and bored kids in affluent cultures take and are usually the young. History teaches us that.

[EDITED to get rid of personal attack phraseology. ]
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 11-13-2013 at 05:12 PM.

Thanks

My character is fine thank you. Who's coming with the personal attacks now.

I buy a lot of music but also pirate a lot.

I pay for everything jb related cause devs themers modders don't sit and brag about how much $ they got. It's needed.

If they want to try and fool me into thinking they are hard up they should prob give up throwing it in our faces.

I'm by no means jealous, good luck to them. Just don't treat me like a fool and expect me to respect them enough to give them more of it.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 08-08-2013, 04:14 PM