Page 87 of 216 FirstFirst ... 37 778586878889 97 137 187 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,740 of 4310

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Widget Weather

It's pure laziness, crackers do it for the "fame" and recognition of being able to slap there name on someone else's work, but the pirate, the downloader... Is just lazy, you add a repo and just start tapping and you have all the latest tweaks In an hour or so, where as those that purchase through cydia, must have a google or FB account, and then an amazon account and a credit card, then you have to log back in every time. The only way to slow down pirating is to get some of those hard coded crack protections and make it available to everyone. Like if big boss had an all encompassing "shell" to protect downloads from piracy, that's made available to everyone (free or for $)... Kind of a rant here, but it just seems that people who make these piracy protected tweaks etc, should collaborate on something for the community, to help make it better... I think that's all I got... *exhale*

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azjonnyg For This Useful Post:

hemptation (12-02-2013), The_Durben (11-13-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,114 Times in 1,871 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The_Durben View Post
    It's really sad lately. The pirates are ruthless along with the like minded jailbreakers who use those repo's/blogs ect.

My Alien lock I worked a lot of hours on and put out for sale on cydia and also free here has more downloads on just one of the five pirate sites it's on compared to my 10 cydia sales and 51 downloads from my post. 3x as many as of a few hours ago....smh
    Why pirate it when you get my own link? Sure I ask for donations but its not necessary to download.

I've been doing this a while and know I shouldn't even look anymore but when you see what's happening with developers/modders/themers legitimate purchases over the last few years its a wonder we have anyone interested in the jailbreak game anymore.

I'm just thankful for the ones I do know and what they do. Far too many to list. Y'all know who you are

/rant
    I don't have much to offer, because I don't have the experience and volume of packages you and other major contributors have online. I have found that DL statistics are rarely indicative of the quality of the package. I can't comment about paid Vs illegitimate statistics (as paid package statistics are usually private), but the almost 30,000 downloads on an add-on, built with icons from the theme that only has 3,000 DL's in a considerably longer up-time....Hmmm. I think that particular instance is a little more explainable than most. Even though my add-on was for a paid tweak, I did not specify this as a dependency. So there's a bunch of people who've gotten the latest popular paid tweak from other sources, and they're all searching for skins to accompany it. They find one, DL, and get an error because the paid package isn't present...another...same error. Now there's only a half dozen skins on cydia at that time, so they hit mine, and it installs (Some errors relate to the main theme dependency, but the 2 free skins available at the time, were dependent on the legitimate tweak). There's next to zero demand for an illegitimate version of free software that has no dependencies on paid packages, and is available on the standard repo's.....no matter how popular the package. I've searched for my packages on the main offending repo, but can't find any to this date. Some may argue I'm just not that popular, and my work is not of any interest to your average sea go-er....but there'd be one or two that would argue the opposite on the latter

So here I offer a proposal. I don't have the money for donations currently, but I will post the Version 2 w37her Image PSDs publicly, in all their vector glory. If idunno...someone can post a RECENT purchase screen of one of the Durbens packages, or perhaps accompany a note to the payee on a paypal donation, and DB can let me know. I've been asked to share the PSDs before, so if you're one of those modders, front up as little as $1, and all my v2 weather image PSDs are set free, named and ready for batch processing. If not for the PSDs...do it for the community Durben doesn't ask for much, and now's the time to lend a hand. I'm positive every bit is appreciated. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Nicoll View Post
    Hi Derrick,

It's never going to change M8 and SauriK is partly to blame for letting these pirate repo's appear in Cydia, not sure why he just can't ban them but have my suspicions!!
    You're probably right with your suspicions. I do know his stand on why he won't ban the user from adding any repo, is well documented on several occasions by him. He thinks it's hypocritical to bypass Apples measures to control what you can and can't put on your device, and then tell the user himself what they can and can't install. That's only my interpretation (or shortened version), of his multi page argument. I kinda get it....what's root without root?...well it's certainly not root I don't agree 100%, but I don't have any input on a solution, other than has already been explained recently in this thread. You may not be able to engineer something that is 100% resistant to reverse engineering, but you can make it hard enough that if the demand is not sufficient, then the crooks won't bother. This is shown on the latest firmwares.....the demand to unlock it exceeds the demand of any illegitimately hosted tweak, yet it's a laborious task for some of the best hackers in the world to circumnavigate Apples security levels......but they can still do it. That's only really to add to my point that nothing is ever truly locked down, unless usability is sacrificed. You can make it harder for them, but just so long as there's not 15,000 people provoking someone to free your product, then you're pretty safe

Sorry if you got to here and are currently regretting the 4mins of your life you just wasted. Thank you.
    Last edited by Sk37cH; 11-13-2013 at 09:52 AM.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sk37cH For This Useful Post:

alexse25 (11-13-2013), Alfroggy (11-18-2013), hemptation (12-02-2013), King_O_Hill (11-13-2013), Krima (11-13-2013), Marty McFly (11-13-2013), TeddyDiesel (11-13-2013), The_Durben (11-13-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 15,562 Times in 7,112 Posts

I had to stop looking at the pirate repo downloads of my stuff. Too depressing and frustrating, it was usually in the realm of 5-10% comparing legit sales to downloads on those repos.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

hemptation (12-02-2013), King_O_Hill (11-13-2013), Sk37cH (11-13-2013), The_Durben (11-13-2013)

I have always loved your work, Durben, and I always try my best to donate when I can. I bought this the day it hit Cydia, so I hope that helps you.

As someone who is kinda new to the whole JB experience, I can only imagine how ticked off you all can get when all the time and work you spend on something, gets pirated. Just want to say thank you again for all the hard work you all do. Have a great day!

ImageUploadedByModMyi1384358519.665953.jpg

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TeddyDiesel For This Useful Post:

hemptation (12-02-2013), King_O_Hill (11-13-2013), Marty McFly (11-13-2013), Sk37cH (11-13-2013), The_Durben (11-13-2013)

I will admit to usually downloading the pirated versions first. Just like in the old days of Hackulo.us, try it before you buy it. I just like to try them out first to be sure the tweak is not going to cause me problems. If I like it and all goes well I will ALWAYS delete it and then make my purchase from the creator. Too many times I've downloaded a tweak that's not compatible with my other tweaks and trying to get a refund is impossible. I don't like paying $2 for something I have no use for.
    Last edited by atlthrashers17; 11-13-2013 at 10:12 AM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atlthrashers17 For This Useful Post:

hemptation (12-02-2013), lostinthemes (11-17-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 21,634 Times in 4,335 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    If you look up some of Saurik's blogs, he is very clear as to why he allows the pirate repo's. it's much too long of a discussion for me to get into it here.

With that said, I'm not in support of pirate repo's, but I do understand why he allows them.
    Ah, ok, thanks King, I think I know where he is coming from after reading all the "huge long post" from Grant.. er I mean "sk37cH"

But I stand fast, I would love to see them all banned, having said that, if they banned PirateBay I would be lost for all my TV series (plural)

Like many suggested here, I guess it's down to us to make the paid themes secure so somehow unpiratable. (yes Grant, I know that's not a real word)

Sorry I didn't mean to start a debate about this, stay cool everybody, laugh it off Derrick, it's not worth the stress M8.

"If it's not broken, I'll fix it till it is"

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ian Nicoll For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (11-18-2013), hemptation (12-02-2013), lostinthemes (11-17-2013), Marty McFly (11-13-2013), NewdestinyX (11-13-2013), The_Durben (11-13-2013)

Piratebay also keeps me entertained. Plus I haven't bought a cd for over 5-6 years 😅

Quote Originally Posted by Azjonnyg View Post
    Piratebay also keeps me entertained. Plus I haven't bought a cd for over 5-6 years ��
    As a guy who makes part of his living from royalties off CD sales - I resent your glorifying the practice of stealing music. Don't be a thief.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    As a guy who makes part of his living from royalties off CD sales - I resent your glorifying the practice of stealing music. Don't be a thief.
    I used to be a studio production student, the music industry is behind the times and need to change their marketing strategies. That said, most of the music is free mixtapes from datpiff or livemixtapes, However I go to shows and buy merchandise. The music industry could take a note from the hip hop mix tape community.

I used to be a studio production student, the music industry is behind the times and need to change their marketing strategies. That said, most of the music is free mixtapes from datpiff or livemixtapes, However I go to shows and buy merchandise. The music industry could take a note from the hip hop mix tape community.
    Plus I'm of the napster generation, too naive to regard the negative implications it may have on the people behind the scenes, yet so accessible it became commonplace
    Last edited by Azjonnyg; 11-13-2013 at 01:13 PM.

I never seen my stuff on pirate sites, unless I posted it there. That might be because it is free or more likely because it is crap in terms of mainstream taste. LOL
    Banning pirate repos does not solve anything, they just download deb files and install it with iFile.
    Everything has at least 2 sides, so Durben, just see the positive, which is that your work is still in high demand, that's great news mate.
    Last edited by rasputin007; 11-13-2013 at 01:24 PM.
    Nothing is impossible only miracles take a bit longer!

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rasputin007 For This Useful Post:

Azjonnyg (11-13-2013), Ian Nicoll (11-13-2013), King_O_Hill (11-13-2013), lostinthemes (11-17-2013), Marty McFly (11-13-2013), The_Durben (11-13-2013)

There's merit in what you're suggesting here. Things 'do' need to change to some degree. But stealing is stealing - if you get whole CD's of music at pirate sites. Mix tapes are different. But you said "I haven't bought a CD in years".. that's not just referring to mix tapes, bro.
    Plus I'm of the napster generation, too naive to regard the negative implications it may have on the people behind the scenes, yet so accessible it became commonplace
    This argument has zero merit. And would be no different than saying - "Wanting/needing money is commonplace - therefore I just robbed a bank. No big." Wise up. Your generation is stealing, bro. Period. End of story. No way to justify it.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Thanks

I think I bought 4 cd's in the last 5 years, lucky if there is one "chart" song per year comes out worth buying, but I'm getting on in years and find myself listening to more "new country" last cd I bought was a Vince Gill one along with the "Hell Freezes Over" DVD, I use PB for all the American TV series I can't get in whatever Country I'm in, very handy as Brazil & China TV is not for me.

2hrs to kill till my driver arrives.

What new debate can I start now

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ian Nicoll For This Useful Post:

hemptation (11-13-2013), King_O_Hill (11-13-2013), Marty McFly (11-13-2013), mcooper (11-13-2013), The_Durben (11-13-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 15,562 Times in 7,112 Posts

What's a CD? Anything like a Record or Cassette Tape?

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Azjonnyg (11-13-2013), hemptation (11-13-2013), Ian Nicoll (11-13-2013), King_O_Hill (11-13-2013), lostinthemes (11-17-2013), Marty McFly (11-13-2013), The_Durben (11-13-2013)

So you're saying you've never used pirated software, downloaded a CD, downloaded a movie, downloaded TV shows, recorded a football game without the express written consent of the NFL, used your neighbors Wi-Fi, complained at a restaurant to get free dessert, stolen cable, gone to a potluck and not contribute, downloaded music instruments or samples, complained to your cable company to get better or more premium service, Picked up a dollar off the street that you know didn't belong to you, Parked at a parking meter that already had money in it, not even once?!? Sainthood is in your future! I'm not as big of a music pirate as my original post makes me out to be I do listen mostly to mix tapes and I purchased a lot of music off iTunes, I've also pirated my fair share of music however I always make sure to support the artists and the only person that I feel any guilt towards is the artist and the lowly studio engineer because I know how tough of a career it is to break into much less to be successful at. I do not however feel any pity for the RIAA, record companies, record executives, agents or anyone down the chain the only ones that I feel any sort of guilt towards are the artist and the studio engineer. The napster generation could also be considered the troll generation :-) ...

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    What's a CD? Anything like a Record or Cassette Tape?
    Cd is like mp3s only permanent and inconvenient with a sacrifice in achievable quality. It's the laser disc to our blu-ray

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Azjonnyg For This Useful Post:

hemptation (11-13-2013), mcooper (11-13-2013), Simon (11-13-2013)

Thanks

I remember when I was maybe 14 or 15 waiting for the good songs to come on the radio cassette so I could tape them so I'm a thief too, but the blank cassette I bought was from the record company (Sony eg), and so was the cassette recorder, maybe they unknowingly started their own demise!
    Same thing with CD/DVD recorders, the same people making the movies sold us devices to copy them!

I feel for the music industry (well the artists), it has really suffered the last decade & more, but they must also respect the have partially themselves to blame.

Lets face it, we've all been a thief at one time or another... fact.... no debate.... period...the end, or you're not human, or you might be a girl. Boys will be boys!
    Last edited by Ian Nicoll; 11-13-2013 at 02:56 PM.

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ian Nicoll For This Useful Post:

Azjonnyg (11-13-2013), hemptation (11-13-2013), King_O_Hill (11-13-2013), lostinthemes (11-17-2013), Marty McFly (11-13-2013), mcooper (11-13-2013), Simon (11-13-2013), The_Durben (11-13-2013)

^that is literally the one example I meant to put in that list and forgot. Thanks haha

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    This argument has zero merit. And would be no different than saying - "Wanting/needing money is commonplace - therefore I just robbed a bank. No big." Wise up. Your generation is stealing, bro. Period. End of story. No way to justify it.
    That's a little too black and white. You can't compare using Napster with robbing bank.
    As long as there's hate in your heart, there'll be hate in the world. You can't fight for peace and you cannot capture freedom.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to mcooper For This Useful Post:

hemptation (11-13-2013)

Thanks

Is the the WW thread?

Sorry Derrick, I'm gonna shut up.
    Last edited by Ian Nicoll; 11-13-2013 at 03:02 PM.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ian Nicoll For This Useful Post:

hemptation (11-13-2013), King_O_Hill (11-13-2013), Marty McFly (11-13-2013), The_Durben (11-13-2013)

Don't worry everyone, I am here to exacerbate the situation. Grant, please brace yourself...

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Krima For This Useful Post:

Azjonnyg (11-13-2013), hemptation (11-13-2013), King_O_Hill (11-13-2013), Marty McFly (11-13-2013), mcooper (11-13-2013)

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azjonnyg For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (11-13-2013), Marty McFly (11-13-2013)

Page 87 of 216 FirstFirst ... 37 778586878889 97 137 187 ... LastLast