Page 76 of 216 FirstFirst ... 26 667475767778 86 126 176 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 4310

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Widget Weather

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Why do you suppose more widget designers haven't adopted this method if it's so simple? You say that our lat and long are always available in the background and accessible via a Java command? How? Can you post the code?
    Keep in mind that the main reason that WW was developed was to eliminate the changing of beta feeds and/or the need for API keys. It also combines the function of position and weather feed. We are also trying to appeal to the masses.
    Win, win, win!

Check out WW2 for iOS 8 - Widget-Weather 2.0

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Heine (10-03-2013), lostinthemes (10-04-2013), RKO1195 (10-03-2013), The_Durben (10-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Keep in mind that the main reason that WW was developed was to eliminate the changing of beta feeds and/or the need for API keys. It also combines the function of position and weather feed. We are also trying to appeal to the masses.
    Win, win, win!
    Yes. Good point, King. Using Widget Weather we have access to Yahoo's "PRIME" feed they only give to Apple to use. Any other service we would choose - would have limitations. Getting everything through the Weather.app is indeed the best solution "for the masses" for all the reasons you state. Since my Weather.app is 'broken' .. I am naturally interested in other methods.

But I wonder if you and Durben would be interested in asking Stephen to add an option in the tweak for 'tightness' of GPS tracking.. Loose and Tight - or something like that. When I see Ras' Cydget for Geolocation working it's changing position every 'inch' I move my hand with it. We certainly don't need that kind of tracking for a Weather Widget.. But I think a choice would be great.. And there's still just something in me that doesn't like the idea of having to go THROUGH Apple's Weather.app... Maybe I'm a little psycho about that.. But as a programmer - I want DIRECT access to the GPS antenna's data.. If the java already exists to access it directly.. I at least want to know how to use it.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 10-03-2013 at 10:06 AM.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (10-03-2013)

We go through the weather app only for the weather data that it supplies. This almost guarantees us a stable feed. As far as positioning goes, we are accessing the chip for position and then using that position to get the data as the weather app would. So basically we have "hijacked" the weather app with our own set of parameters to retrieve data. This was the best method in our initial requirements of the tweak to keep it stable.

I can mention having an option to set the radius of the geo-location service, but I'm not sure how difficult or easy that could be.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Heine (10-03-2013), The_Durben (10-03-2013)

We go through the weather app only for the weather data that it supplies. This almost guarantees us a stable feed. As far as positioning goes, we are accessing the chip for position and then using that position to get the data as the weather app would. So basically we have "hijacked" the weather app with our own set of parameters to retrieve data. This was the best method in our initial requirements of the tweak to keep it stable.

I can mention having an option to set the radius of the geo-location service, but I'm not sure how difficult or easy that could be.
    Fair enough, King. You guys and Stephen have done a magnificent job. I'm not complaining. Really. Having 'more features' than less is always wonderful -- but I'm not the one whose time is being asked for. Stephen's given so much already. I'm particularly interested in other options for geolocation mostly out of curiosity with my new found coding chops and because I have a 'diseased' phone right now that doesn't allow Widget Weather, any version, to update without a respring or some other action from me. Even after a Reset All Settings and multiple times through iLex Restore II.

So whatever.. Great tweak, great idea.. And now that Yahoo is reporting the township information to extraLocCity again - I'm thrilled as that is a central feature of my City AltLoc iWidget's readout. And for two weeks it was reporting the same info as City..

All is well.. Also bummed that we've entered the 'post-new-iPhone' ghost-town period at MMI. This is my third time through it. Let's hope the jailbreak for 6.1.3/6.1.4 is real soon - which I hear it is.. And that JB for iOS7 is not far behind.. though it probably is a long way off.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (10-03-2013)

I got a reply from SD and he believes that the accuracy is set to 500m, but he was not 100% sure based off memory.

That said, he is going to see about putting an prion in to adjust the accuracy. He was not sure as to the impact that this may or may not have on battery life. I guess some testing will determine this. He is also going to take a look at what other features he may be able to give options to. He also believes that options are good. Today is your lucky day Grant! Now you need to get that phone fixed!

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Heine (10-03-2013), Ian Nicoll (10-03-2013), lostinthemes (10-04-2013), NewdestinyX (10-03-2013), The_Durben (10-03-2013)

I got a reply from SD and he believes that the accuracy is set to 500m, but he was not 100% sure based off memory.

That said, he is going to see about putting an prion in to adjust the accuracy. He was not sure as to the impact that this may or may not have on battery life. I guess some testing will determine this. He is also going to take a look at what other features he may be able to give options to. He also believes that options are good. Today is your lucky day Grant! Now you need to get that phone fixed!
    Thank you, Brian. BIG SMILES over here.. and pass on my thanks to SD for his generosity of time!! Yeah.. I'm off to Target today to see if they have any GSM IP5s with serial# xxxJ..... -- or -- xxxK1-K9..., KA.., KB.., KC.... They will still have 6.1.2 or lower pre-installed. Already had a bust - on Walmart, Radio Shack and AT&T Store near my home..
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 10-03-2013 at 07:37 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (10-03-2013)

The tweak, "20SecondLockScreen" has settings in it for 60sec, 1 minute, 2 minutes, etc.. Very easy to change. The name is misleading.
    I am using Lockscreen Dim Delay, free tweak in Cydia.

Why do you suppose more widget designers haven't adopted this method if it's so simple? You say that our lat and long are always available in the background and accessible via a Java command? How? Can you post the code?
    It is javascript, not java, two different languages! The geolocation javascript will not run in Winterboard html pages and also not in Widgets/iWidgets, however the geolocation javascript will run in webclip html pages and as it turns out also in cydgets html pages.
    That geolocation javascript runs in webclip html pages has been know for quite a while, Weather Elements use this as does MYO. Apart from those two I can not think of any other theme that does use this method. My guess with cydget html pages is that nobody has tried it.

Would you be willing to PM that script to me. I'd like to play with it and adapt it for my ideas if possible. Right now I've done something to my phone that has rendered Weather.app not able to update instantly upon opening of NC as it used to. This problem has affected WidgetWeather from working on my phone too - since they're tied together in Stephen's tweak. (I'm guessing). So I'm eager to see if I can access Lat and Long from some other method than a tweak tied to Weather.app.

Thanks, Ras.. I look forward to more..
    Sorry, can not do because cydget seems to cause a problem for Winterboard themes that require databases. As soon as I install cydget no database driven Winterboard works any more, uninstalling cydgets does not help, only a full restore and clean setup without installing cydget brings back database access for Winterboard themes.
    I tried 2 cydgets, one is the database driven MYO2 Winterboard theme and the other one is the MYO2 setup page (formerly webclip html), but I hit a wall as there is no keyboard or selection-wheel for the setup page, that keyboard and selection-wheel popped up automatically in webclip html pages. So that needs some more figuring out. However it would save to a database (got the two confirmation windows), but I have not found yet the location where cydgets saves the database.
    For that reason I keep anything related to database and cydget under wraps. However if you would use the GPS.html from the GPS-update.webclip folder from MYO2, which is still freely available, rename it to index.html add a Info.plist file and make a cydget, then I can not being blamed as you have done this on your own.

The accuracy or range of the GPS is related to the amount of decimals on the right hand of the comma. You can see that with the geolocation cydget when you move the iPhone/iPod a few feet only the last 3 digit or so change, but the first 5 or six digits (after the comma) still stay the same. OK, try this write down the latitude and longitude you get from the geolocation cydget, then open Google maps on your PC and enter the latitude and longitude but only with 2 decimals, then 3 decimals, then 4 decimals etc and be amazed by what you see.
    Last edited by rasputin007; 10-03-2013 at 04:57 PM.
    Nothing is impossible only miracles take a bit longer!

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rasputin007 For This Useful Post:

Heine (10-03-2013), Ian Nicoll (10-03-2013), King_O_Hill (10-03-2013), lostinthemes (10-04-2013), NewdestinyX (10-03-2013), RKO1195 (10-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin007 View Post
    It seems to cause a problem for Winterboard themes that require databases. As soon as I install cydget no database driven Winterboard works any more, uninstalling cydgets does not help, only a full restore and clean setup without installing cydget brings back database access for Winterboard themes..
    Are you saying that in my installing of Cydgets that I've permanently harmed Winterboard on my phone??!!?? I hope I misunderstood you..
    The accuracy or range of the GPS is related to the amount of decimals on the right hand of the comma. You can see that with the geolocation cydget when you move the iPhone/iPod a few feet only the last 3 digit or so change, but the first 5 or six digits (after the comma) still stay the same. OK, try this write down the latitude and longitude you get from the geolocation cydget, then open Google maps on your PC and enter the latitude and longitude but only with 2 decimals, then 3 decimals, then 4 decimals etc and be amazed by what you see.
    Already did. Fun!

Are you saying that in my installing of Cydgets that I've permanently harmed Winterboard on my phone??!!??
    Not really permanently harmed. Think of it this way, WB was never intended to run that way. Cydgets was always the intended vehicle for LS customization. I believe that we can do what Ras is explaining with databases, except that we just haven't quite figured it out yet. Saurik had stated on irc that this is possible, we just need to figure it out.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

lostinthemes (10-04-2013), NewdestinyX (10-03-2013), RKO1195 (10-03-2013)

Not really permanently harmed. Think of it this way, WB was never intended to run that way. Cydgets was always the intended vehicle for LS customization. I believe that we can do what Ras is explaining with databases, except that we just haven't quite figured it out yet. Saurik had stated on irc that this is possible, we just need to figure it out.
    So break it down for this 'noob' coder, gents.. What can I NOT do now with Winterboard or LockHTML2 Lockscreens - that I was able to do BEFORE I installed Cydgets?

Thanks
    Thanked 21,500 Times in 4,310 Posts

Default GPS Accuracy table
    The "MYLocation" text file uses 6 digits after the decimal point.
    Widget Weather uses only 2 digits after the decimal point so accuracy is around 1,100 meters.

6 decimal places is probably too much, maybe 3 (or 4 to test) would work best for us, I would think this is an easy edit for Stephen.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -screen-shot-2013-10-04-11.14.07-am.png  
    Last edited by Ian Nicoll; 10-03-2013 at 10:33 PM.

"If it's not broken, I'll fix it till it is"

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ian Nicoll For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (10-04-2013), lostinthemes (10-04-2013), Marty McFly (10-12-2013), meth357 (10-04-2013), RKO1195 (10-03-2013), The.Drifter (10-04-2013), The_Durben (10-04-2013)

Ian WW uses more than two, I think it's six also, the two are just displayed

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RKO1195 For This Useful Post:

Ian Nicoll (10-04-2013), King_O_Hill (10-04-2013), lostinthemes (10-04-2013), Marty McFly (10-12-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 21,500 Times in 4,310 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RKO1195 View Post
    Ian WW uses more than two, I think it's six also, the two are just displayed
    Ah ok M8, my mistake. (Are you sure it gets the location before he reduces the numbers?)
    Then I can't explain the accuracy difference in the most recent version(s), even I noticed it when I was in Hong Kong a few weeks back, it missed out a few districts while in taxi from airport (but I think that was two versions ago!) and it was the first time I have seen any gps widget miss these districts out.

Bottom line, it doesn't really matter as were just driving through, other than that time I never look at my phone while traveling, it's really just the end destinations that count.
    Last edited by Ian Nicoll; 10-04-2013 at 02:18 AM.

"If it's not broken, I'll fix it till it is"

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ian Nicoll For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (10-04-2013), lostinthemes (10-04-2013), Marty McFly (10-12-2013), NewdestinyX (10-04-2013), RKO1195 (10-04-2013), The_Durben (10-04-2013), Vsop Valentino (10-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Nicoll View Post
    Ah ok M8, my mistake. (Are you sure it gets the location before he reduces the numbers?)
    Then I can't explain the accuracy difference in the most recent version(s), even I noticed it when I was in Hong Kong a few weeks back, it missed out a few districts while in taxi from airport (but I think that was two versions ago!) and it was the first time I have seen any gps widget miss these districts out.
    Interesting observation. I too have noticed a big difference in how many times the Widgets change in my journey compared to 1.4-7,8. The change seemed to happen at 1.4-9 for me (1 version ago). I thought it was just part of the general problems I've been having with my phone which started for me right around my installing of 1.4-9. (Let me be clear - installing WW had nothing to do with creating my phone problems - that was my doing). But there are times, rare these days, that my WW updates as it was designed to. It's in those times where I'm making my comparison statements about accuracy.

There are two sets of coordinates recorded in the XML, one out to two decimal places and one out to six. But if the tweak is sending the 2 decimal place one onto Yahoo - that could explain the difference in accuracy.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Ian.
    Bottom line, it doesn't really matter as were just driving through, other than that time I never look at my phone while traveling, it's really just the end destinations that count.
    To you- this may be the case. To others - who ride shotgun a lot - the in between places are just as important too.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 10-04-2013 at 06:48 AM.

I don't know about that Ian, I was saying that it has six numbers in it but yea as long as its showing where I'm at when I get there that's all that matters

27. The Following User Says Thank You to RKO1195 For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (10-04-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Switchmonkey's Avatar
    Thanks

An observation. I uninstalled WW 1.4.8 that I previously had working well with IOS6.1 weather fix, which was still there even after using the latest Evasion jailbreak. I installed 1.5.26 from Cydia, after turning ON location services. Safe mode cycle, ad nauseum... uninstalled IOS6.1 weather fix, respring, reboot, WW worked fine, stock weather app...black screen. Reinstalled IOS6.1 weather fix...WW works fine, stock weather app...fine. 6 hours now, no safe mode thing. Location services OFF or ON, makes no difference as long as I don't move around, when I do, it's on. (It must be ON if I respring for whatever reason, otherwise the Safe mode issue rears its ugly head...good to remember when modding tiles in Paragon). I DO however have more available RAM on my 4S with 1.5.26 than with 1.4.8. 35-40MB on avg which I suppose is an improvement. No other tweaks other than Dreamboard and 1 theme (Paragon) which has always worked without issue on WW 1.4.8. I am going to leave Location services ON for a week or so and see just how much, if any extra battery drain I encounter. Odd though, how finicky 1.5.26 is compared to 1.4.8. and...my need to have IOS6.1 weather fix left installed for my stock app to function.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Switchmonkey For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (10-04-2013), lostinthemes (10-07-2013), meth357 (10-14-2013), The_Durben (10-05-2013)

Very nice input! Please keep us posted.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

RKO1195 (10-04-2013), The_Durben (10-05-2013)

Interesting SwitchMonkey. The safe mode loop when Location services are off is a well known bug with WW 1.5-26. But the ios6 weather fix tweak is not supposed to work with WW at all without causing safe mode I thought. Be happy you're stable with both working. But you can't turn off Loc Services (to try and save battery) with 1.5-26.. until that bug gets fixed.

Great input.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (10-04-2013), The_Durben (10-05-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Switchmonkey's Avatar
    Thanks

It works just fine with location services turned OFF. The weather updates in Constant, Semi, and Manual. I leave it in Semi when I move from city to city (not that often, so I'm really sure about its functionality) Like I said, Loc services only has to be ON when I respring for any reason, otherwise it doesn't matter.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Switchmonkey For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (10-04-2013), Krima (10-04-2013), The_Durben (10-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Switchmonkey View Post
    It works just fine with location services turned OFF. The weather updates in Constant, Semi, and Manual. I leave it in Semi when I move from city to city (not that often, so I'm really sure about its functionality) Like I said, Loc services only has to be ON when I respring for any reason, otherwise it doesn't matter.
    Im sorry.. I didn't explain myself clearly. I know the functionality of WW works with location services off in terms of the weather updating. I meant that when you respring and swipe unlock from your Lockscreen onto your Springboard it will crash into safe mode as soon as Springboard tries to launch -if- location services are turned off with 1.5-26. At least many of us have reported that and confirmed it.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (10-04-2013)

Page 76 of 216 FirstFirst ... 26 667475767778 86 126 176 ... LastLast