+ Reply
Page 180 of 210 FirstFirst ... 80 130 170178179180181182 190 ... LastLast
Results 3,581 to 3,600 of 4200

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Widget Weather

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Originally Posted by Marty McFly I think I remember seeing a guide somewhere indicting what condition each code represents - although that may be relating to the 'old' feed. Yahoo
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 1,739 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marty McFly View Post
    I think I remember seeing a guide somewhere indicting what condition each code represents - although that may be relating to the 'old' feed. Yahoo developer page maybe.
    I was thinking about your code you added to the MyLocation CutConcept, and figured it was something along the lines of a number we get fed. I have these bookmarked and often use them as reference. I checked with you at one stage, and I believe it was the Yahoo one which best suits our iOS widget needs. Thank you.

Yahoo Conditions: https://developer.yahoo.com/weather/#codes

World Weather Conditions: http://www.worldweather.org/wx_icon.htm

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sk37cH For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (05-07-2014), Marty McFly (05-07-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,145 Times in 4,592 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marty McFly View Post
    It's because all we get from the XML file for description is a number. With the 'old' yahoo feed and Accuweather, there is an actual worded description in the feed. A WW widget will only display the weather condition descriptions outlined in the translation.js file. So you could easily change those to match the new weather descriptions in iOS 7 (although I believe those descriptions in that js file also play a part in calling the correct animation).
    So did Apple ask Yahoo to redefine their numeric table to include wider description names? And we're still using the "older table" of numbers and their descriptions?

So it would be as simple, at least starting with English, as just finding the new table somewhere online and changing description 33 (??) from Fair to MostlySunny in the translation.js?

Shoot if that's all it is.. I'm surprised no one's taken on updating the description table and the animations each one calls.. I think I can find that info out.. Could you modders then incorporate the new translation.js into all your popular current widgets and future ones?

I think I remember seeing a guide somewhere indicting what condition each code represents - although that may be relating to the 'old' feed. Yahoo developer page maybe.
    The question is where to find the code list Apple's Premium Yahoo feed (iOS7) uses. SK's link to yahoo shows the free feed's mapping.. No "mostly sunny", etc..
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 05-07-2014 at 05:34 AM.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

hemptation (05-07-2014), Marty McFly (05-07-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,307 Times in 2,723 Posts

Good work NewD Digging deep And getting specific. I like that bro I'm not being sarcastic either. Saying for real. Thank you

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 1,739 Posts

So stock iOS7 weather uses a different API than the free one we use?

How can we be sure it's not taking other information, like the wind, sun up/down, barometric info, etc, and creating a new description for the condition number we're given from the public yahoo API.

I'm just throwing thoughts around here, but we'd have to see exactly what the stock iOS7 weather code is doing, and then maybe it would help some.

Feel free to enlighten me on anything, as I have very little idea about all this.

Thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,770 Times in 1,059 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    So it would be as simple, at least starting with English, as just finding the new table somewhere online and changing description 33 (??) from Fair to MostlySunny in the translation.js?

Shoot if that's all it is.. I'm surprised no one's taken on updating the description table and the animations each one calls.. I think I can find that info out.. Could you modders then incorporate the new translation.js into all your popular current widgets and future ones?
    Yep. Unless I'm out of my element here and someone else chimes in, I believe that's all that's involved. If you can find this "new table", I'd be more then happy to give it a go!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marty McFly For This Useful Post:

hemptation (05-07-2014), King_O_Hill (05-07-2014), Sk37cH (05-07-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hemptation View Post
    Good work NewD Digging deep And getting specific. I like that bro I'm not being sarcastic either. Saying for real. Thank you
    Thanks, Hemp. I'm have déjà vu about this quest though.. as if I tried it as soon as iOS 7 came out.

And a couple of quick searches are coming up empty today. It would seem Yahoo is keeping its new code system pretty secret. All I can find are the codes to the free feed we've been using for years. What's really weird is that it seems like the newer descriptions have way more combinations than would fit in a 48 number code system. I wonder if the WW feed still only grabs the number from the free API we've been using for years... King will know if it's just a renaming of codes 1-48 that's at issue here..

Brian, where is the numeric description in the XML coming from?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,307 Times in 2,723 Posts

Yea I will be happy when te descriptions become more detailed myself And that's the point of evolution in any system. Once it's sound , you just make it better and more detailed I always thought ww pulled from stock descriptions. Yahoo/apple. They are the same yea? I dunno. Lol

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hemptation For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (05-07-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sk37cH View Post
    So stock iOS7 weather uses a different API than the free one we use?
    Yes. They're different. In the weather.app window you see descriptions like partly sunny and mostly sunny, etc. These are not descriptions from the free API feed we've used in widgets since iOS 4. They started appearing in iOS 7 stock weather. At first I thought Apple changed to Accuweather's feed since those are terms that only Accuweather had used up to that point. But in the bottom left corner of the weather.app page you see on any given day - clearly is a symbol for Yahoo.
    How can we be sure it's not taking other information, like the wind, sun up/down, barometric info, etc, and creating a new description for the condition number we're given from the public yahoo API..
    Hard to imagine how that would be possible, to derive a description from wind and barometric pressure information. But thanks for at least "some" theory, SK !

This mystery is driving me batty.. We need that new description table!!

Quote Originally Posted by hemptation View Post
    Yea I will be happy when te descriptions become more detailed myself And that's the point of evolution in any system. Once it's sound , you just make it better and more detailed I always thought ww pulled from stock descriptions. Yahoo/apple. They are the same yea? I dunno. Lol
    Not since iOS 7. The free yahoo API we've been using for years on MMI is not what weather.app uses anymore. Apple has a "special" premium feed from Yahoo.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,770 Times in 1,059 Posts

Here's a thought....

Feed hasn't changed but the iOS 7 weather app has been written to interpret the weather codes differently and just display from a wider base of descriptions. If that's the case SK could be onto something. Other factors playing a part in what description is displayed - more so then just what code is in the feed perhaps. Ie: x code with a temp above a certain point displays a certain description. Same code with a temp below a certain point displays a different description. I know the descriptions don't typically relate to temperature - jus sayin.

Not sure how valid but this is from an article I just found....

"It should also be noted that although Yahoo powers both apps, the weather sources for each are different. The official Weather app, for example, uses data from The Weather Channel. By contrast, Yahoo Weather uses information from The Weather Underground."

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/06/a...o-weather-lite

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marty McFly For This Useful Post:

hemptation (05-07-2014), King_O_Hill (05-07-2014), Sk37cH (05-07-2014)

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,875 Times in 6,509 Posts

The codes that WW pulls are the same ones that the stock weather app uses. The interpretation for the codes are from the yahoo developers site as they have always been. I can only assume that the stock app is just using a different description. A simple change to the main.js file can output whatever description that you like. The translations.js would also need to be rewritten. (Thanks Marty).

Personally I don't see the difference in partly cloudy or mostly sunny. Glass half empty or half full. But if you find a new list or want to change some, we can implement them easily if we get Ian and Dacal on board. That would cover the base for most new widgets and by doing a simple compare you could adjust any older condition.

Even though there are 48 codes, there are only about 20 different condition descriptions.

I hope this makes sense.
    Last edited by King_O_Hill; 05-07-2014 at 07:13 AM.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

hemptation (05-07-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    The codes that WW pulls are the same ones that the stock weather app uses. The interpretation for the codes are from the yahoo developers site as they have always been.
    You mean the interpretations for the widgets we use are the same - right? This was a little confusing..
    I can only assume that the stock app is just using a different description.
    Ahh.. But WHERE can we find that list?! That is the key..
    Personally I don't see the difference in partly cloudy or mostly sunny. Glass half empty or half full.
    Though I agree with your weather description point mostly.. Glass half full and empty people are ENTIRELY opposite in their outlooks on life. So, bad analogy, bro..
    Even though there are 48 codes, there are only about 20 different condition descriptions.
    My count is a little different. There are at least 32 "unique" codes among the 48.. Still not enough for all the permutations I see in the weather.app for things like "partly cloudy with showers", "partly sunny with showers".

Here's my theory. Though the weather.app is providing the old school weather codes that yahoo's free API had been providing for years.. The description weather.app is using is somehow being pulled right from weather.yahoo.com's web page. The description I see in weather.app always matches Yahoo's web page. So somehow we're not get the "word based" description from their site in the XML. I believe Yahoo, like Accuweather, has word based descriptions too that we can somehow gain access to in the XML. King always said there was more in the feed that isn't currently being written to the XML. I wonder if we can get the word description from Yahoo the same way Apple must have access to it..

19. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (05-07-2014)

Thanks

You mean the interpretations for the widgets we use are the same - right? This was a little confusing..
    In the XML file, you see code just under temp, this is pulled from the app. The conversion from code to description is the same old list we've always used.

Ahh.. But WHERE can we find that list?! That is the key..
    It's embedded into the code for the app. It is not part of this feed.

Though I agree with your weather description point mostly.. Glass half full and empty people are ENTIRELY opposite in their outlooks on life. So, bad analogy, bro..
    Really, I see it as a perfect analogy for a weather description. Who said anything about outlook on life? stay focused and stop reading too much into things.

My count is a little different. There are at least 32 "unique" codes among the 48.. Still not enough for all the permutations I see in the weather.app for things like "partly cloudy with showers", "partly sunny with showers".
    I was referring to the conditions that we currently use in our widgets. There are no more than 20 different descriptions out of the 48 possible.

Here's my theory. Though the weather.app is providing the old school weather codes that yahoo's free API had been providing for years..
    Agree

The description weather.app is using is somehow being pulled right from weather.yahoo.com's web page. The description I see in weather.app always matches Yahoo's web page. So somehow we're not get the "word based" description from their site in the XML.
    I disagree and I'm quite confident that the descriptions are hard coded into the app and are being converted form the code. If it were like you say, then thats what would show up in the XML file.

I believe Yahoo, like Accuweather, has word based descriptions too that we can somehow gain access to in the XML. King always said there was more in the feed that isn't currently being written to the XML. I wonder if we can get the word description from Yahoo the same way Apple must have access to it..
    Here is the latest list, there are some differences:

Code:
    <yahoo-weather-codes>
      <code number="0" description="tornado"/>
      <code number="1" description="tropical storm"/>
      <code number="2" description="hurricane"/>
      <code number="3" description="severe thunderstorms"/>
      <code number="4" description="thunderstorms"/>
      <code number="5" description="mixed rain and snow"/>
      <code number="6" description="mixed rain and sleet"/>
      <code number="7" description="mixed snow and sleet"/>
      <code number="8" description="freezing drizzle"/>
      <code number="9" description="drizzle"/>
      <code number="10" description="freezing rain"/>
      <code number="11" description="showers"/>
      <code number="12" description="showers"/>
      <code number="13" description="snow flurries"/>
      <code number="14" description="light snow showers"/>
      <code number="15" description="blowing snow"/>
      <code number="16" description="snow"/>
      <code number="17" description="hail"/>
      <code number="18" description="sleet"/>
      <code number="19" description="dust"/>
      <code number="20" description="foggy"/>
      <code number="21" description="haze"/>
      <code number="22" description="smoky"/>
      <code number="23" description="blustery"/>
      <code number="24" description="windy"/>
      <code number="25" description="cold"/>
      <code number="26" description="cloudy"/>
      <code number="27" description="mostly cloudy (night)"/>
      <code number="28" description="mostly cloudy (day)"/>
      <code number="29" description="partly cloudy (night)"/>
      <code number="30" description="partly cloudy (day)"/>
      <code number="31" description="clear (night)"/>
      <code number="32" description="sunny"/>
      <code number="33" description="fair (night)"/>
      <code number="34" description="fair (day)"/>
      <code number="35" description="mixed rain and hail"/>
      <code number="36" description="hot"/>
      <code number="37" description="isolated thunderstorms"/>
      <code number="38" description="scattered thunderstorms"/>
      <code number="39" description="scattered thunderstorms"/>
      <code number="40" description="scattered showers"/>
      <code number="41" description="heavy snow"/>
      <code number="42" description="scattered snow showers"/>
      <code number="43" description="heavy snow"/>
      <code number="44" description="partly cloudy"/>
      <code number="45" description="thundershowers"/>
      <code number="46" description="snow showers"/>
      <code number="47" description="isolated thundershowers"/>
      <code number="3200" description="not available"/>
    </yahoo-weather-codes>
    Last edited by King_O_Hill; 05-07-2014 at 02:37 PM.
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."

21. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (05-07-2014)

Thanks

I'm following you there for the most part, bro, but some of what you're saying still doesn't add up as to how we could be seeing different descriptions in Weather.app than there are available codes for. And then - how is the app, via the number code, deriving names that aren't even on Yahoo's list? And more so where can we find how Apple is choosing to assign a description to a particular number within the weather app? Where's that list?

What seems indisputable and logical to conclude is that the weather.app is not using Yahoo's free feed number to desc matrix - to determine its Weather descriptions. Apple's tapping into something directly on Yahoo.com's weather site or some other numbering list to make its final determination of what description to display.

Any idea how we can get at that info, King?
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 05-07-2014 at 10:50 AM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (05-07-2014)

Thanks

@Marty

Street View just stopped working, any idea what it might be?
    Nothing happens when I click on the yellow street view icon (SS working)

Thanks

Here's your list from the yahoo weather app right from my phone:

Code:
    "conditionDesc.0" = "Tornado";
    "conditionDesc.1" = "Tropical storm";
    "conditionDesc.2" = "Hurricane";
    "conditionDesc.3" = "Severe thunderstorms";
    "conditionDesc.4" = "Thunderstorms";
    "conditionDesc.5" = "Mixed rain and snow";
    "conditionDesc.6" = "Mixed rain and sleet";
    "conditionDesc.7" = "Mixed snow and sleet";
    "conditionDesc.8" = "Freezing drizzle";
    "conditionDesc.9" = "Drizzle";
    "conditionDesc.10" = "Freezing rain";
    "conditionDesc.11" = "Showers";
    "conditionDesc.12" = "Showers";
    "conditionDesc.13" = "Snow flurries";
    "conditionDesc.14" = "Light snow showers";
    "conditionDesc.15" = "Blowing snow";
    "conditionDesc.16" = "Snow";
    "conditionDesc.17" = "Hail";
    "conditionDesc.18" = "Sleet";
    "conditionDesc.19" = "Dust";
    "conditionDesc.20" = "Foggy";
    "conditionDesc.21" = "Haze";
    "conditionDesc.22" = "Smoky";
    "conditionDesc.23" = "Blustery";
    "conditionDesc.24" = "Windy";
    "conditionDesc.25" = "Cold";
    "conditionDesc.26" = "Cloudy";
    "conditionDesc.27" = "Mostly cloudy";
    "conditionDesc.28" = "Mostly cloudy";
    "conditionDesc.29" = "Partly cloudy";
    "conditionDesc.30" = "Partly cloudy";
    "conditionDesc.31" = "Clear";
    "conditionDesc.32" = "Sunny";
    "conditionDesc.33" = "Fair";
    "conditionDesc.34" = "Fair";
    "conditionDesc.35" = "Mixed rain and hail";
    "conditionDesc.36" = "Hot";
    "conditionDesc.37" = "Isolated thunderstorms";
    "conditionDesc.38" = "Scattered thunderstorms";
    "conditionDesc.39" = "Scattered thunderstorms";
    "conditionDesc.40" = "Scattered showers";
    "conditionDesc.41" = "Heavy snow";
    "conditionDesc.42" = "Scattered snow showers";
    "conditionDesc.43" = "Heavy snow";
    "conditionDesc.44" = "Partly cloudy";
    "conditionDesc.45" = "Thundershowers";
    "conditionDesc.46" = "Snow showers";
    "conditionDesc.47" = "Isolated thundershowers";
    Last edited by King_O_Hill; 05-07-2014 at 02:37 PM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

MamaJaay (05-07-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Here's your list from the yahoo weather app right from my phone:

"conditionDesc.29" = "Partly cloudy";
    "conditionDesc.30" = "Partly cloudy";
    "conditionDesc.31" = "Clear";
    "conditionDesc.32" = "Sunny";
    "conditionDesc.33" = "Fair";
    "conditionDesc.34" = "Fair";
    "conditionDesc.35" = "Mixed rain and hail";
    "conditionDesc.36" = "Hot";
    "conditionDesc.37" = "Isolated thunderstorms";
    "conditionDesc.38" = "Scattered thunderstorms";
    "conditionDesc.39" = "Scattered thunderstorms";
    "conditionDesc.40" = "Scattered showers";
    "conditionDesc.41" = "Heavy snow";
    "conditionDesc.42" = "Scattered snow showers";
    "conditionDesc.43" = "Heavy snow";
    "conditionDesc.44" = "Partly cloudy";
    "conditionDesc.45" = "Thundershowers";
    "conditionDesc.46" = "Snow showers";
    "conditionDesc.47" = "Isolated thundershowers";
    I see it bro.. But where's "Mostly Clear" that's showing in my weather.app right now? Where's that desc coming from? And what code number does it correspond with? Trust me, Brian, there's something else controlling the condition name in the weather.app besides even the newer Yahoo numeric list. The evidence seems to pretty clearly warrant that conclusion. Even you have to agree with my logic.. If not -- share with me the flaw in my conclusion.

Last edited by NewdestinyX; 05-07-2014 at 01:05 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,269 Times in 7,004 Posts

I see it bro.. But where's "Mostly Clear" that's showing in my weather.app right now? Where's that desc coming from? And what code number does it correspond with? Trust me, Brian, there's something else controlling the condition name in the weather.app besides even the newer Yahoo numeric list. The evidence seems to pretty clearly warrant that conclusion. Even you have to agree with my logic.. If not -- share with me the flaw in my conclusion.
    Maybe they just have different wording for the same condition. Just a guess though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Maybe they just have different wording for the same condition. Just a guess though.
    Yeah.. That's something similar to what King said earlier.. But given the amount of conditions reserved for Fair, which is even 2 less than the old list.. Where would they have room for:
    Mostly Sunny, Partly Sunny & Mostly Clear? ... all of which I've seen in Weather.app. Where is there room for those additional 3 in the 48 code list? What existing ones would they "replace"?

Now.. Marty alluded to a plausible explanation earlier that at first I dismissed - but coming at it again. He posited that - maybe the reported numeric condition - Apple then combines with some other data - like "humidity" to conclude a different condition.

So what about this theory:

lower humidity + Fair daytime (cond. #34) = Mostly Sunny?
    higher humidity (tending to yield more clouds) + Fair day (cond. #34) = Partly Sunny??

Could that be what they're doing inside theweather.app?

lower humidity + Fair night (cond. #33) = Clear
    higher humidity + Fair night cond. #(33) = Mostly Clear
    ??

Plausible explanation?
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 05-07-2014 at 01:42 PM.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (05-07-2014), Marty McFly (05-07-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Yeah.. That's something similar to what King said earlier.. But given the amount of conditions reserved for Fair, which is even 2 less than the old list.. Where would they have room for:
    Mostly Sunny
    Partly Sunny &
    Mostly Clear
    .... all of which I've seen in weather.app.. where is there room for those in the 48 code list? What would they "replace"?

Now.. Marty alluded to a plausible explanation earlier - which was that - maybe the reported numeric condition - Apple then combines with some other data - like "humidity" to conclude, let's say:

lower humidity + fair daytime (34) = Mostly Sunny?
    higher humidity (tending to yield more clouds) + fair day (34) = Partly Sunny??

Could that be what they're doing inside the app?

lower humidity + fair night (33) = Clear
    higher humidity + fair night (33) = Mostly Clear
    ??

Plausible explanation?
    Yes, I would think that somewhere inside their code, they are manipulating the text output based on some additional criteria.

So the code is still used for images and icons, but the description is modified. This would be an easy way to get more from what is already existing.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

hemptation (05-07-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 15,269 Times in 7,004 Posts

Mostly Sunny, Partly Sunny & Mostly Clear? ... all of which I've seen in Weather.app. Where is there room for those additional 3 in the 48 code list? What existing ones would they "replace"?

Now.. Marty alluded to a plausible explanation earlier that at first I dismissed - but coming at it again. He posited that - maybe the reported numeric condition - Apple then combines with some other data - like "humidity" to conclude a different condition.

So what about this theory:

lower humidity + Fair daytime (cond. #34) = Mostly Sunny?
    higher humidity (tending to yield more clouds) + Fair day (cond. #34) = Partly Sunny??

Could that be what they're doing inside theweather.app?

lower humidity + Fair night (cond. #33) = Clear
    higher humidity + Fair night cond. #(33) = Mostly Clear
    ??

Plausible explanation?
    Sorry, hadn't read back the whole conversation, just saw your post. Sounds like what Marty was suggesting is in the right ballpark.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

LinkBacks (?)

1. 08-08-2013, 04:14 PM