Page 12 of 210 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 22 62 112 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Widget Weather

Thanks Durben! You're the only one really interested in answering my technical questions. And you did perfectly! With CityGPS=true I get Whitemarsh. With CityGPS=false I get Flourtown. I just want that same functionality in the new tweak. And it seems like that's what it offers. Thank you so much for giving me that "preview". :-)

I don't know why everybody else is interested in posturing and trying to put me in my place. What I asked was such a simple question that has not been dealt with clearly before. King is right, in that an explanation of Semi, Manual and GPS has been explained before. I don't want anything to do with Semi mode as it will have the same problems updating location as the weather.app (native) does. I just wanted to make sure that the GPS localization functionality had a choice for the two different localization methods that are currently now implemented by using CityGPS false/true in the code. It sounds like it does.

Thanks again, D. As for the rest of you on "team beta"- don't forget about being helpful, please.. And you don't need to "defend" the new tweak. We're already diggin it! Such defensiveness sometimes.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 08-17-2013 at 09:14 AM.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Thanks Grant. I do what I can...when I can. I just like to help u know.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Krima For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (08-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I went from Bermuda to Atlanta, then to Orlando and my widgets using new tweak had no issues updating location (I use the full gps setting King spoke of above).
    Of course everything's perfect using GPS mode with the new tweak. GPS widgets currently work perfectly with myLocation now too. Auto update perfectly. But sometimes you get wrong city. And the widgets correct for that with the CityGPS switch Dacal wrote. I just wanted to make sure that switch was incorporated into the new tweak's localization preferences. It is. So I'm happy!!

Quote Originally Posted by krima View Post
    thanks grant. I do what i can...when i can. I just like to help u know.
    **NOT**
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 08-17-2013 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post

**NOT**
    Damn u are old. I haven't heard the "not" joke since the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movie.

Way to bring it back. .

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Krima For This Useful Post:

EricB78 (08-17-2013), King_O_Hill (08-17-2013), NewdestinyX (08-17-2013)

Grant it don't have the CityGPS switch but it does pull right city always it even pulls small towns that MyLocation doesn't show sometimes in my location, and Dacal put the switch in the yahoo widgets cause yahoo don't show the right city for him sometimes and this is working great for him. I use the full GPS always myself but the other options are for people that don't want gps running constant and it gives you plenty of options!! Everyone will enjoy I promise

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RKO1195 For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (08-17-2013), King_O_Hill (08-17-2013), Krima (08-17-2013), lostinthemes (08-17-2013)

Evil Genius Developer GroovyCarrot's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,138 Times in 470 Posts

This seems to have been a very long winded answer to the questions

Does it work: yes
    Can I set it manually: yes

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GroovyCarrot For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (08-17-2013), Destan (08-18-2013), EricB78 (08-17-2013), Jato_BZ (08-17-2013), King_O_Hill (08-17-2013), Krima (08-17-2013), mcooper (08-17-2013), The.Drifter (08-17-2013), The_Durben (08-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by GroovyCarrot View Post
    This seems to have been a very long winded answer to the questions

Does it work: yes
    Can I set it manually: yes
    Slow down man, not all of us are awesome coders like u.

So, lets recap ok. What u r saying is that it works but does this mean it works or does it mean it just works.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Krima For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (08-17-2013), EricB78 (08-17-2013), GroovyCarrot (08-17-2013), Jato_BZ (08-17-2013), King_O_Hill (08-17-2013)

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,943 Times in 6,527 Posts

Grant, you have missed the point once again semi in no way works like the other Native method that we used. It just doesn't have GPS update as quickly, but it does update. You continue to comparing this to that old method that this has no similarities too. The manual option is the only one similar, but that is by design, not because it has to.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Jato_BZ (08-17-2013), Krima (08-17-2013), RKO1195 (08-17-2013), The_Durben (08-17-2013)

Grant you're over thinking the localization methods man.

Semi is not what you're thinking. Semi doesn't continually check location. It will check location based off the update setting in the widget (there's a minimum of one minute and then the settings go up from there)
    As it refreshes the weather, it refreshes the location.

Manual is what takes its city from the weather app. It will update cities if you change location and open the weather app or pull down NC (if you have the stock weather widget enabled)
    The weather info itself will update at your specified interval for that city.
    This option has no issues like you think it does. It's an option for people who don't need/want to have GPS constantly running.

The reason you think you're being postured is this has been answered but you continually are knocking the weather app itself as "not a viable method" when it is.

There is no CityGPS "switch" like GPS/woeid widgets.
    The example I gave has the main city (pulled from what the weather app will return based on your localization settings (Fixed doesn't apply as its a set woeid)
    The other info we return is done through Neighborhood Location (toggle in the settings for the tweak)
    This pulls everything from county, Neighborhood, city, state, country, country code, zip/postal code, lat/long ect

In the rare case a wrong city is showing I have a switch to hide that city and show Neighborhood.
    Neighborhood returns most of the time correctly. There's a few instances where it doesn't and its then blank.
    The other option is to use the additional city location which then hides the main city and shows the one the tweak is getting through additional location info.

For me, the main city and my additional city are always the same.
    This may not be for others but that's why the option.

Not all widgets are going to have this. Just depends on who made it and how.
    Again, the base widget I showed has all the info displaying.
    It's up to whoever is modding it to set their own variables to display different information.

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to The_Durben For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (08-17-2013), Dacal (08-17-2013), GroovyCarrot (08-17-2013), Jato_BZ (08-17-2013), King_O_Hill (08-17-2013), Krima (08-17-2013), lostinthemes (08-17-2013), meth357 (11-03-2013), RKO1195 (08-17-2013)

Thanks Durben! You're the only one really interested in answering my technical questions. And you did perfectly! With CityGPS=true I get Whitemarsh. With CityGPS=false I get Flourtown.
    (...)
    I don't know why everybody else is interested in posturing and trying to put me in my place.
    Seems like Weather Widget WILL put you in your place.
    The theme in my posts is 3 4 All, by Sk37cH.

The numerous versions released, and infinite versatility, beats IconOmatic mods. By quality.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alfroggy For This Useful Post:

EricB78 (08-17-2013), Jato_BZ (08-17-2013), King_O_Hill (08-17-2013), Krima (08-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Grant, you have missed the point once again semi in no way works like the other Native method that we used. It just doesn't have GPS update as quickly, but it does update. You continue to comparing this to that old method that this has no similarities too. The manual option is the only one similar, but that is by design, not because it has to.
    Agree to disagree, King. The Weather.app does not auto-update without some action from the user. That's a fact, bro. Not debatable. So any tweak that will grab localization data using that method won't work - FOR ME.. because I need instant auto-updating without any keystrokes from me. In that way - the Manual mode (Durben's corrected me now) is like other methods for localization that do not auto-update. The tweak is based on using data from Weather.app. If Weather.app doesn't change location automatically then neither will the tweak be able to provide updated data without interaction from the use (NC window draw down, etc - as Durben points out). I never miss the point, bro. I may have some of the 'data' wrong - which you guys correct me on - BUT - staying away from any needed 'interaction from user' for location change has always been my goal from the beginning. Weather.app can't provide that - so any tweak based on it won't be able to either. That's the point, bro. AND because that's so - you guys have thought of other methods that WILL auto update. AWESOME!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Durben View Post
    Grant you're over thinking the localization methods man.
    Semi is not what you're thinking. Semi doesn't continually check location. It will check location based off the update setting in the widget (there's a minimum of one minute and then the settings go up from there)
    As it refreshes the weather, it refreshes the location.
    Manual is what takes its city from the weather app. It will update cities if you change location and open the weather app or pull down NC (if you have the stock weather widget enabled)
    The weather info itself will update at your specified interval for that city.
    This option has no issues like you think it does. It's an option for people who don't need/want to have GPS constantly running.
    Yes. Sorry - I had my terms mixed up.
    The reason you think you're being postured is this has been answered but you continually are knocking the weather app itself as "not a viable method" when it is.
    Fair enough. But it was OTHERS who were posturing to 'me'.. But I do agree my statements can be a lil' incendiary - I'm just passionate about this working for all of us for whom auto-city update is a must have. So - any localization method that's not true GPS (which is TRUE autoupdating with no input from the user) isn't FOR ME. And I'm sure I'm not alone.

And I just wanted King to understand that Weather.app, (still termed "Native" by Apple themselves) is still NOT auto-updating - therefore everyone needs to understand that. NOW you've said, I think, that EVEN in MANUAL mode the tweak has a 'timer' pref available in it? ..that you can set to certain amount of minutes? That would for sure make a 'best of both worlds setting' -- Though full GPS on mode is hardly a battery drain as we all noticed with MyLocation. No sure why anyone would feel they NEED Manual mode. But that's just me...

There is no CityGPS "switch" like GPS/woeid widgets.
    The example I gave has the main city (pulled from what the weather app will return based on your localization settings (Fixed doesn't apply as its a set woeid)
    The other info we return is done through Neighborhood Location (toggle in the settings for the tweak)
    This pulls everything from county, Neighborhood, city, state, country, country code, zip/postal code, lat/long ect
    Okay -- starting to get complicated now.. Humor me... How does the tweak choose the 'right' one from the 'other data'? Flourtown (my city) and Whitemarsh (my township) are always the two I get from GPS/Woeid widgets - when CityGPS is set to false or true. But when I clik Neighborhood to ON in an iWidget or config.js it always return county (Montgomery). This has been true wherever I travel. So are you saying when you chose Neighborhood for me - it returned Whitemarsh?

In the rare case a wrong city is showing I have a switch to hide that city and show Neighborhood.
    Do you mean in YOUR widgets? Or is it in the tweak itself?

The other option is to use the additional city location which then hides the main city and shows the one the tweak is getting through additional location info.
    Is THIS a preference setting in the tweak?

For me, the main city and my additional city are always the same.
    This may not be for others but that's why the option.
    Yeah. It's more complicated in US. I'd be interested to see what the Neighborhood feed pulls for King and Krima in the US.. That will likely help me predict what mine will pull.

Not all widgets are going to have this. Just depends on who made it and how.
    Oh - so this isn't a TWEAK preference - but something that has to be written into the widgets?
    Again, the base widget I showed has all the info displaying.
    It's up to whoever is modding it to set their own variables to display different information.
    It's time I studied the widget you sent to us more carefully. I can probably discern more of what I'm looking for. Thanks again for your detailed answers. If you could answer my couple of questions there.. I'll leave y'all alone for a while..
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 08-17-2013 at 03:12 PM.

We have taken over the weather app. Forget what you think about it not refreshing.
    Manual mode is only for people who don't want to use GPS or if you'll be in one location for an extended period of time and there's no need to have GPS constantly running.
    I use manual at home as I don't need the GPS checking if I moved locations. I have not.

There is NO ISSUE at all with the weather updating on Manual.
    The weather updates at its specified interval for that city.

You're still confusing issues with the old Native tweak. This tweak does not have a problem updating information.

Neighborhood Location is a toggle in the tweak. Settings/Widget Weather/Neighborhood Location
    This turned on will report back all of the additional information I stated above.
    The neighborhood and additional city switch is something I wrote in. It's an option to display possibly different info in case of an error.

The Neighborhood Location info is gathered based on the localization the GPS provides when it checks your location. When toggled on this is all automatic. It gathers the info and populates the xml.
    That data is always there it's just a matter of whether you display it or not or set a variable to show one or the other or whatever you want.

The base lockscreen is showing all the available information with the additional location info and extra weather details we included that the weather app doesn't show. It's only meant as an example. People can remove info, set variables, restyle or whatever just like any other widget.
    I think I did a good enough job in the main.js explaining the functions. People just need to read it.

Here's an xml for your location Grant

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s86ybhxwdh...atherGrant.zip

Unzip and replace the widgetweather.xml in the base I posted a few pages back.
    This will show you your info from the last few minutes. (Obviously wont update without the tweak)
    May give you a better idea of what you'll see.

Your location doesn't return a "neughborhood" as defined in the tweak and xml
    It does however return Whitemarsh as your extraLocCity
    Main city showing with woeid is Flourtown.

Quite simply anyone who makes a widget that doesn't show your city correct you can change the city in the js to be the extraLocCity instead by changing the document get by id "city" obj.city to object.extraLocCity

And either change or add the object to the array near bottom of the js

Now go play with the base and see

Seriously though I doubt you'll have an issue with the main city showing using the actual tweak.
    Last edited by The_Durben; 08-17-2013 at 11:56 AM.

21. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to The_Durben For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (08-17-2013), EricB78 (08-18-2013), GroovyCarrot (08-17-2013), Jato_BZ (08-17-2013), King_O_Hill (08-17-2013), Krima (08-17-2013), lostinthemes (08-17-2013), mcooper (08-17-2013), RKO1195 (08-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Durben View Post
    We have taken over the weather app. Forget what you think about it not refreshing.
    People can remove info, set variables, restyle or whatever just like any other widget.
    I think I did a good enough job in the main.js explaining the functions. People just need to read it.
    Thank you. That's perfectly clear now as to how all the data's in the XML and a code line can be used to display whatever you want. Great!!!! I can still see something akin to the CityGPS button being in iWidgets.. It would be called anything you want.. as i think I recall in your iWidgets you named the switch "When city isn't displayed correctly" or something like that.

As to taking over the Weather.app - you've said it a bunch - I get it. A Manual mode of course would require some action from the user - hence manual. But the retrieval of data based upon a non auto updating iOS function would still not auto update.. That's how I see it. I guess in taking over the weather.app you've found a way to trigger it to auto update the XML regardless. A brilliant accomplishment if that's what you mean. I know early on in the iWidget you yourself said auto updating was a hurdle you had to get over. I guess you smashed that hurdle.. .. Great work!

'Cause to this very day, Weather.app in iOS 6 is not auto updating. Hence a tweak based on it would seem to necessarily also not be auto updating.. Cool that you broke down that barrier..
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 08-17-2013 at 12:18 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (08-17-2013)

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,943 Times in 6,527 Posts

That's what we've been telling you for weeks! That we have hijacked the weather app and we are auto updating it. OMG!

Just for the record, you completely confused my last post I never said that the Native weather app was auto updating. I fully understand how it works. I was referring to the tweak.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (08-17-2013), Jato_BZ (08-17-2013), Krima (08-17-2013), The_Durben (08-17-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,355 Posts

Man I swear I'm in the "Young and the Restless" forum...

Thanks

I'm at my house so I have it set to manual, every day I glance at my weather node on my NGUI project and the weather is there and accurate.

The logic for this node is that it makes periodic checks to the XML output of Widget Weather at intervals specified by the user in the Widget Weather settings (5 minutes for example) - so any user that has LockScreens, Widgets, or native theme in my case and Endfinity, that utilise this extension all adhere to the settings specified by them-self. My theme only reads the temperature, units (c/f) and the weather code for loading the weather forecast icon but this extension provides much more data that can be used such as wind direction, speed, moon data.. Pretty much everything and anything you could possibly want to know about what's going on in your location

When I go to back to see my parents next week on the train I'll set it to semi so it will automatically check for a change of location, but what we're debating over this GPS issue is pretty medial; for what it's worth the only difference is that manual means I have to tap on the node / open the weather app to get a current location update. Semi means Widget Weather will do it for me while it performs it's periodic updates that I have set to every 5 minutes in the Settings app.

28. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to GroovyCarrot For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (08-17-2013), Dacal (08-17-2013), It's Mi (09-30-2013), Jato_BZ (08-17-2013), King_O_Hill (08-17-2013), Krima (08-17-2013), meth357 (11-03-2013), NewdestinyX (08-17-2013), RKO1195 (08-17-2013), The_Durben (08-17-2013)

'interaction from user' for location change has always been the point for me from the beginning.

Pressing the home button to see your Lockscreen is an interaction, unless you set your light to infinitive...

30. The Following User Says Thank You to lostinthemes For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (08-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    That's what we've been telling you for weeks! That we have hijacked the weather app and we are auto updating it. OMG! tweak.
    What "take over" meant was never fully clear to me. I thought that just meant "to get data" and not yo add functionality to the nature of the Weather.app (which isn't autoupdating - by design the more I read about it). My questions were only and ever about GPS options. Not sure how we got sidetracked to autoupdating as I never intend to use Manual or Semi because they don't meet my travel lifestyle.
    Just for the record, you completely confused my last post I never said that the Native weather app was auto updating. I fully understand how it works. I was referring to the tweak.
    All good King. Durben took the time to fully answer my questions in the detail I needed. The tweak sets the WAY info is retrieved from Weather.app and for localization you choose Manual to have to interact with phone to get an updated locale (non auto updating), Semi, to set a specified interval for updating (also not auto based on location change) and GPS for full auto updating.

But I pretty much understood that from when Durben or you have us a screen shot pages ago. My questions were all focused on city name accuracy - regardless of the timing of the update. Not sure how that issue got confused along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by lostinthemes View Post
    'interaction from user' for location change has always been the point for me from the beginning.

Pressing the home button to see your Lockscreen is an interaction, unless you set your light to infinitive...
    Unless you manually turn off location services in your phone your GPS will be operating 24/7 on your phone even in sleep mode I'm pretty sure. Whether or not you leave GPS on in this new tweak 24/7 or use manual or semi mode there will be virtually no change in battery usage. We proved that over and over again to nonbelievers by leaving the sig change on in mylocation. The only true battery savings is achieved by turning Location services off when you don't need it. I achieve this by using Battery Dr Pro in my settings for indoor and outdoor, indoor- having location services turned off. When I get in my car I change that setting to outdoor which turns Location Services back on.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 08-17-2013 at 12:59 PM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

lostinthemes (08-18-2013)

Thanks

But I pretty much understood that from when Durben or you have us a screen shot pages ago. My questions were all focused on city name accuracy - regardless of the timing of the update. Not sure how that issue got confused along the way.
    Then you can just set it to GPS, again a huge advantage of this extension is that all widgets using data from this will provide information as accurate as you specify without having to go into configuration of each lockscreen or widget you use. Manual gives me weather data for Merseyside (North-West England) while GPS gives me weather data for Liverpool, the city where I live. Personally the level of accuracy on either is fine for me since weather here or the next nearest town is the same: bad haha.

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GroovyCarrot For This Useful Post:

Heine (08-17-2013), King_O_Hill (08-17-2013), Krima (08-17-2013), NewdestinyX (08-17-2013), RKO1195 (08-17-2013), The_Durben (08-17-2013)

I did an early test, about 2 months ago, i was driving 8 hours from south of Norway and North, had minor stops during the travel, at the minor stops it always updated, dont know if i got the screenies, but i sent them to D, it was never wrong city.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heine For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (08-17-2013), The_Durben (08-17-2013)

Page 12 of 210 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 22 62 112 ... LastLast