Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Battery hog ...

Default Battery hog ...
    My battery drains literally at a rate of about 1% every 3 minutes when in use (usual check emails, facebook etc.)

How much do themes and tweaks cause the drainage on average?
    [B][FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Black"]Device: [COLOR="Red"]iPhone
    [COLOR="Black"]Firmware: [COLOR="Red"]1.1.4 Jailbroken, unlocked through ZiPhone, Modded, Customized

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,831 Times in 6,754 Posts

That's a wide open question. We have no real idea what you are running.

Animated LS or SB will use a lot of battery, while some tweaks can too.

What device and firmware version are you on?
    Widget Weather 2.0 App Currently in Public Beta for iOS 8 only!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather 2.0

iPhone? More like MyPhone 5kylar's Avatar
    Thanks

Kill your spotlight and it's boot daemon. Also large Winterboard themes tend to use more power faster. Most tweaks are fine stand alone. It's when you have 30 running that does your battery in. Moderation is key. I used to have the same problem with my phone. Now I get 2-3 days off 1 charge. All I did was disable spotlight and minimize Winterboard use. Hope this helps
    iPhone 5c - iOS 7.0.4 Jailbroken

iPhone 5
    Version: 6.1.2

So should I just uncheck the options in 'Spotlight Search' within settings? How do I disable daemon?

I'm using iPhone 5 with version 6.1.2
    [COLOR="Black"]Firmware: [COLOR="Red"]1.1.4 Jailbroken, unlocked through ZiPhone, Modded, Customized

Thanks

I use springtomize2 to get rid of the actual search bar and keyboard. But SpotRemover does the same thing. As for the daemon get iCleanerPro, among other things it lets you toggle all the launch daemons your device probably doesn't need running. Spotlights is one of the options. You need to add a repo to get it though. Search iCleaner in cydia and that package will have a small link to show you how to get the Pro version. It's free btw. Alternately you can rip out the daemon by shh of ifile by going to /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 5kylar For This Useful Post:

splash104 (03-30-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Spotlight uses that much battery?

Thanks

Back it up though if your going to manually tear the daemon out, just in case you ever want it again. Also you might notice a slight speed increase in things like rebooting and respringing as well as battery improvement

Killing spotlight won't solve everything but it sure helps in my experience. It's mostly the daemon I think.
    Last edited by 5kylar; 03-30-2013 at 10:19 AM.

Ok. I have disabled Spotlight Search through springtomize and also disabled Spotlight Daemon through iCleaner. Let's see how it turns out.

Any other functions to disable? How about frequently killing recent apps? And should I be using iCleaner pro regularly to clear out caches etc?
    Last edited by splash104; 03-30-2013 at 11:14 AM.

Thanks

Well you could disable multitasking altogether if you don't use it often. But keeping your appswitcher clean works just as well. Also frees RAM up. And like I said large Winterboard themes (Theming icons, app UI's, lockscreen) can take up quite a bit of energy. Winterboard is fine to use just keep it simple. (Like making something transparent) One other thing you can do to improve your battery life which I'm sure you've heard already, is Cycle Charge your iDevice every couple weeks or so. (running the battery to nothing and charging it up full again) When you do this make sure all your apps are closed and Wifi/Data/Bluetooth/GPS are all off. Then when it's fully charged shut it off for about 15-20mins and turn it back on. Idk why that last part helps but it seems to work for me. This is just what I do with my iPhone 4 and like I said, 2-3 days off 1 charge Hope this helps ya.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 5kylar For This Useful Post:

splash104 (03-30-2013)

Should I also disable i.flux? Though it seems to diminish the brightness at night but wondering if that adds up to the hogging of battery.

Thanks

Nooo lol. Flux is amazing I thought the same thing but the only time it's actually using CPU power is when it transitions from flux to blue light and vice versa. So your good with that. For tweaks it's mostly just the amount you have going. So try to keep it around roughly 15 or so. Minor things like hiding newsstand and the music store button wouldn't even count. I mean like springtomize2, barrel, infinidock/board, those things. They are all fine and great tweaks, I'm just saying don't have a whole whack of them at once. Also using springtomize to cut out the animations or at least speed them up will save power as well, as your phone won't be using so much CPU power when your flipping around your apps.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 5kylar For This Useful Post:

splash104 (03-30-2013)

Cheers for the info. Let's see how things go will be updating here.

Thanks

Also idk if you have iBlacklist. But I just, and I mean JUST found out it kills your battery pretty damn fast. I installed it this morning and noticed my battery going down so I disabled it in SBsettings and wouldn't you know my battery is back to normal lol.

Nope don't have it. Have disabled LTE as well when not in use.

I've noticed after I removed ActiveDock that my battery lasts longer than having it installed. Maybe look at some of the packages you have installed and just remove the ones you don't use very much.