Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 5 crashes when adding custom icons to dock

Question iPhone 5 crashes when adding custom icons to dock
    As the subject suggests. I'm able to apply my custom theme as long as none of the icons are on the Dock. I've found one theme that works even with new icons on the dock, but I created a custom one myself awhile back for my iPhone 4 that I wanted to put on my iPhone 5. It took quite a bit of troubleshooting to find out that it was the docked icons causing the crash, or boot into safe mode upon respring if the icons were on the dock already, but I was able to apply my theme as long as none of them were on the dock. As soon as I try to move one onto the dock, the phone crashes into safe mode. Any ideas on how or what I need to do to fix it? Not sure how to get the crash log or anything, but if it's needed, I could figure it out and post it.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Crafty42; 02-20-2013 at 07:28 PM. Reason: clarity

im having the same problem...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,313 Times in 2,101 Posts

Really? My themed dock and docked icons work fine on i5 6.1. Are you running tweaks that could be causing issues? Specifically related to the dock...
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor

I bought springtomize, but uninstalled it to see if that was the problem. It's the only app that I believe I have that would conflict. Other themes work, and mine worked on iPhone 4, but something in my own custom theme must be a conflict. Just wish I knew what it is so I can try to fix it. I've emailed Saurik with the crash log and he's requested a syslog which I sent today. Hopefully he has time to look it over and it has what is needed.

This issue is a bug in WinterBoard. If your icon is bigger than 120x120 and you try to put it in your dock SpringBoard will crash. Change the icon to 120x120 or lower and it will work.

This never used to be an issue until iOS 6 came along and WinterBoard got updated. I've emailed Saurik about it several times and never received a response so apparently he just doesn't give a sh.it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SnapIt View Post
    This issue is a bug in WinterBoard. If your icon is bigger than 120x120 and you try to put it in your dock SpringBoard will crash. Change the icon to 120x120 or lower and it will work.

This never used to be an issue until iOS 6 came along and WinterBoard got updated. I've emailed Saurik about it several times and never received a response so apparently he just doesn't give a sh.it
    Yuh that's the responses we have been getting too. It's not looking gd for continued WB support. We identified a lot of issues but even they haven't been implemented/deployed...Good to hear someone else is also trying to get it updated, IT NEEDS IT!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (06-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
    Yuh that's the responses we have been getting too. It's not looking gd for continued WB support. We identified a lot of issues but even they haven't been implemented/deployed...Good to hear someone else is also trying to get it updated, IT NEEDS IT!
    Yeah it sux because usually the hardest part is identifying what is causing the issue. Really it seems like everyone has done the hard part of figuring that out. Now it's just a matter of getting Saurik to update the app.

I guess Sauriks too busy over in the Android community releasing WinterBoard for Android devices when WinterBoard hasn't even matured on iOS devices yet! Doesn't make any sense whatsoever

WinterBoard for Android

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnapIt For This Useful Post:

Jato_BZ (06-16-2013), King_O_Hill (06-16-2013)

Thanks

It does cos some of the themeing is bordering on Manual themeing which is NOT what WB is about.

I've heard mixed reviews about WB on android. Ppl prefer to use those launchers I read.

iOS7 looks like themeing will be even more difficult as well. Looks like a lot of vector type files/gradients and now .car files in the UI.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (06-16-2013)

120x120 what? My largest icon is 80x87 pixels. And that seems a little larger than normal icons.

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty42 View Post
    120x120 what? My largest icon is 80x87 pixels. And that seems a little larger than normal icons.
    You must be using a non-retina display or something. The stock icon size on a retina iPhone is 120x120. The stock icon size on a 3GS is 60x60.

I'm using an iPhone 5. Pretty sure it has retina display. I'm using the size as what the image properties tell me in gimp. I created the theme for my old iphone before retina display. Perhaps the problem is the physical size of the images. An 80x80 at 163 ppi would be 160x160. I'll have to try scaling my images to 60x60. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty42 View Post
    I'm using an iPhone 5. Pretty sure it has retina display. I'm using the size as what the image properties tell me in gimp. I created the theme for my old iphone before retina display. Perhaps the problem is the physical size of the images. An 80x80 at 163 ppi would be 160x160. I'll have to try scaling my images to 60x60. :-/
    Now you're catching on to what we're all complaining about

Yeah, I think I get it now... just saying that 120x120 isn't a good description if that's pixels, since my icons are actually less than that. A physical size would be more accurate if pixels per inch can change.