Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Email app crashing. Email settings crashing.

Default Email app crashing. Email settings crashing.
    With eight accounts in the email app, something went bonkers. iOS 6.01. I cannot launch the email app. It was working fine since I got the phone. All of a sudden, crash. No notifications. CPU constantly runs hot (when not locked). Battery drains extremely quickly. In settings, I cannot open the Mail, Contacts, Calendars tab to do some cleaning. It crashes after a couple of seconds of waiting (after selecting the field). SMS works, but no notifications come through.

I did not want to reset the whole phone. But was finally able to JB it and can use iFile. I found hundreds of .dat0aXX.001 and .000 files in /var/mobile/Library/Mail - where all of the accounts seem to have their own directories as well. But can't figure out what to do at this point. Blow away the .000 and .001 files? Kill the directories?

I know, Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail have their own clients. But at this point, with no notifications and the CPU / battery issue, I cannot use the phone. Plus, I'd like to mod it a bit.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    I have 7 email accounts in my Mail app. I used my iFile to look through the path you listed here. I didn't see any such files in mine.

You could certainly try deleting them. Though I would recommend doing a back-up first, so in case something goes wrong, you can restore it and not lose any of your data.

Moved the files (there were over 2000). No go. I'll have to manually, somehow, edit the email settings.

i got it.. Long journey. Will detail steps later, as there were many of them, and truly, I'm not sure which one fixed the issue.