+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Remove Cydia Ads?

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi Seems to be latest cydia doesnt have a file called package. js .. anyone attempted to remove ads from cydia so far? iPhone5 (iOS 6.1 - Just Jail Broken
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default How to Remove Cydia Ads?
    Hi

Seems to be latest cydia doesnt have a file called package.js..

anyone attempted to remove ads from cydia so far?

iPhone5 (iOS 6.1 - Just Jail Broken )

Thanks
    Sam

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ive been using this modified hosts file for all adblocking all day today with no issues if you want to try it.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vea6bdqvgm2cbqq/hosts

Word of warning tho, im a long time android modder and have very little ios experience. This file was taken from xda developers.
    It blacks out the cydia ads, but more importantly i dont lose a portion of my screen to obnoxious ads within apps

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This is one made by some guy called Salvador and the one Ive been using ever since.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18057/hosts.txt

You need to remove the .txt at the end of the file name and do the following with iFile:

adjust the correct properties to the "hosts" file

Ownership:
    Owner- root
    Group- wheel

Access Permissions:
    User- Read, Write
    Group- Read
    World- Read

Now copy the file and paste in the directory of /etc on your iDevice (Overwrite the file in their already)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pakitos View Post
    This is one made by some guy called Salvador and the one Ive been using ever since.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18057/hosts.txt

You need to remove the .txt at the end of the file name and do the following with iFile:

adjust the correct properties to the "hosts" file

Ownership:
    Owner- root
    Group- wheel

Access Permissions:
    User- Read, Write
    Group- Read
    World- Read

Now copy the file and paste in the directory of /etc on your iDevice (Overwrite the file in their already)

after replacing this file, i reboot, still ads are visible... bigboss apps specially

Thanks

Sorry for not being more helpful :S

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Give mine a shot. Hosts files for ad blocking need to be updated on a regular basis to my knowledge.

Here's where i grabbed mine from, some good reading there.
    Mother of AD BLOCKING - 'hosts' file for your Android Baby - Updated 05 February 2013 - xda-developers

i did modify it slightly to look like the existing hosts file on the iphone

Thanks

Gonna test yours, thx

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

let me know how it works for you, its been great for me in most apps the past two days. I use news republic a lot and thats one of the few apps I still see ads in on occasion but for the most part it seems to be solid.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

After 2 more days of testing I am now using the hosts file taken directly from the adfree program for android and this one seems much better. The news republic app i use a lot has not shown me a single banner ad since switching over to this one

In addition i followed the steps from another site to remove iads from the device. If anyone else wants to try id love hear some feedback confirming whether or not this is working for anyone else

10. The Following User Says Thank You to zsg1313 For This Useful Post:

miketheburrito (02-09-2013)

Thanks

The file you are using is at the second file attached to that site, right?

Ill defo give it a try after I end my testing on why my iPhone battery is draining that much after massive tweak installs

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The dropbox link i posted above should work better. I grabbed that directly from my galaxy nexus and i dint modify it at all.

What's Jailbreak? miketheburrito's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zsg1313 View Post
    After 2 more days of testing I am now using the hosts file taken directly from the adfree program for android and this one seems much better. The news republic app i use a lot has not shown me a single banner ad since switching over to this one

In addition i followed the steps from another site to remove iads from the device. If anyone else wants to try id love hear some feedback confirming whether or not this is working for anyone else
    Thanks for the hosts file - I'm about to try it out. Do I need to set the permissions to something specific? Or just download it as is and swap it out with the stock hosts file in /etc ?

Also could you tell me how you managed to remove iAds from your device? I'd love to do the same.

Thanks!!

(For what it's worth, I'm on a jailbroken iPhone 5 running iOS 6.1)

Thanks

Just copy & paste, accept the rewrite warning and make sure your file permissions are as follow:

Ownership:
    Owner- root
    Group- wheel

Access Permissions:
    User- Read, Write
    Group- Read
    World- Read

Thanks
    Great, thank you!

In addition to the hosts file, did you do something else to remove iAds?

Thanks

I havent tried yet the file that zsg1313 posted above but I guess they are good enough for it as he said it before.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

For the iads just do a quick google search for iphone remove iads. The link i think was to ifans website.

Thanks
    Thanks so much for the help guys!

I've got 2 more questions; 1 regarding the hosts file & 1 regarding the removal of iAds:

- Is there a way to use the new hosts file while also circumventing SBSettings' detection of it? (i.e. with the new hosts file in place, a dialog pops up when I open SBSettings telling me to either close the app or fix the modified hosts file. If I 'fix' it, SBSettings runs fine without any complaints, but the new hosts file obviously gets patched, basically rendering it ineffective.)

- After moving "AdSheet.app" to a new "Applications-Deleted" folder, it seems like most iAds are gone, which is great! My only gripe now is that, in place of where the iAds used to be, there's usually a white banner filling that same space. Is there anything I can do to completely remove this blank banner? I'd love to free up that space entirely.

Again, thanks for all your assistance!

Thanks

The new "patched" host file gets rid of ALL the previous settings? try to copy the ones being added or removed and port them to the host file with all the blocking addresses.

Ill try this tonight.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by miketheburrito View Post
    Thanks so much for the help guys!

I've got 2 more questions; 1 regarding the hosts file & 1 regarding the removal of iAds:

- Is there a way to use the new hosts file while also circumventing SBSettings' detection of it? (i.e. with the new hosts file in place, a dialog pops up when I open SBSettings telling me to either close the app or fix the modified hosts file. If I 'fix' it, SBSettings runs fine without any complaints, but the new hosts file obviously gets patched, basically rendering it ineffective.)

- After moving "AdSheet.app" to a new "Applications-Deleted" folder, it seems like most iAds are gone, which is great! My only gripe now is that, in place of where the iAds used to be, there's usually a white banner filling that same space. Is there anything I can do to completely remove this blank banner? I'd love to free up that space entirely.

Again, thanks for all your assistance!
    Yeah i definitely get the white background on removing the iads too. Not sure how to get that fixed. As for the sbsettings thing im sorry i havent used that tweak. I just use ncsettings and the dashboard x widget for quick toggles

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pakitos View Post
    The new "patched" host file gets rid of ALL the previous settings? try to copy the ones being added or removed and port them to the host file with all the blocking addresses.

Ill try this tonight.
    Good question. The new "patched" file definitely has some changes, but it certainly doesn't look like it totally reverts back to the original hosts file.

The attached image shows the differences among their file sizes.

- "hosts_NEW" is what I've been using, from the dropbox link posted earlier
    - "hosts_OLD" is my backup of the original which got replaced by '_NEW'
    - "hosts_SBSfixed" is produced when SBSettings patches 'hosts_NEW'

How to Remove Cydia Ads?-imageuploadedbymodmyi1360438867.775204.jpg

I wonder what the best way is for checking differences between two files on my phone...