+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Weird Data/3G issue

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey guys, This time around I need someone to help me. This afternoon out of no apparent reason the data/3G functionality has dropped on my iphone 4S iOS 5.1.1. I
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,955 Times in 2,014 Posts

Default Weird Data/3G issue
    Hey guys,

This time around I need someone to help me.

This afternoon out of no apparent reason the data/3G functionality has dropped on my iphone 4S iOS 5.1.1. I have HARD reset about 6 times. It's funny as my data works on Wifi.

No Safari, No mail but the 3G symbol is showing and cellular and 3G is toggled on in Settings>General>Network.

If I go into compose a standard txt the Camera button is dull. So I cannot attach pics to standard txts. iMessage is fine on Wifi.

I can make calls when not on Wifi and have 3-4 bars of Service from my Network provider.

I also rang them and they said everything is fine at their end and no known coverage issues.

I did MOD my carrier plist last week to change the Carrier name and IT'S not showing it either - has defaulted back to a string which I cant locate.

Could it be a corrupt plist possibly? Seems odd as haven't touched it since last week with no issues until today.

Thanks any response will be appreciated.
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I hate to use the obvious response, but if you have tried a network reset and it still doesn't work, you probably want to restore it to isolate whether the issue is hardware failure or not. Try the network reset first though, if you have not already.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

Jato_BZ (02-01-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    I hate to use the obvious response, but if you have tried a network reset and it still doesn't work, you probably want to restore it to isolate whether the issue is hardware failure or not. Try the network reset first though, if you have not already.
    Yuh I was dreading that as I have my theme I've been working contained on my phone for 5.1.1 so not an ideal option.

BUT

I managed to find a Carrier.plist from 5.0.1 and compared theme string versus string etc and it was exactly the same except unaltered. I dropped it into my carrier bundle Hard Reset and BOOM carrier name back to normal and the ability to send pics via standard txts.

So in short plists can become corrupt and ALWAYS have a backup!

So far so good.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

TBH I just assumed you wouldn't have a back up. Most people don't lol (including myself). Glad it worked out for you.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

Jato_BZ (02-01-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    TBH I just assumed you wouldn't have a back up. Most people don't lol (including myself). Glad it worked out for you.
    Thanks! Hmm I try to most times too but I actually forgot to on this plist! BUT I managed to find my Backup of my MAC from March 12 as have upgraded from Leopard to Lion and managed to pull my Carrier folder off it as was mucking around with it then and used that plist (iOS 5.0.1) Bit of a fluke really. Am just glad it's working!