Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone hosts file and a question on app switching

Default Iphone hosts file and a question on app switching
    New here, first post

So im a long time android user and have been modding android since 2.1 up to 4.2 on Galaxy Nexus. Work got me an iphone 5 to use and while i liked it, I went out and bought a used iphone 4 to see what the jailbreaking community can do. I believe I solved my biggest issue on this JB iphone 4 which was eliminating ads from as many sources as possible.

I used this link here Mother of AD BLOCKING - 'hosts' file for your Android Baby - Updated 16 January 2013 - xda-developers and took the hosts file and added the info into my hosts file on the iphone. Now i can read my news sources without having to stare at an obnoxious banner ad. Seems to be working properly.

Has anyone else done anything like this or is there a simpler method? I noticed an adblocker app in cydia but from the description im not sure that would be more effective.

Other question I had, after using Android for so long and the Galaxy Nexus in particular i got used to certain kernel tweaks such as a slide to unlock while the screen is off to save your power button, and the back, home, and recents soft keys on that device as well. Im guessing slide to unlock would not work due to a custom kernel being necessary, but is there any UI tweaks that could reduce hitting the home button so often? I think ideally i would be looking for some sort of gesture i could use, regardless of whether im in an app or homescreen that would give me a "recents" bar similar to android 4.1 and 4.2. Maybe a double tap on the screen itself or something.

Thanks for any advise guys!

Thanks
    Thanked 15,562 Times in 7,112 Posts

Activator can set gestures or tapping the screen etc to mimic the home button and many other things. It comes pre installed with a few tweaks.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,514 Times in 2,146 Posts

I use Activator and it's not too bad, find it useful to turn torch on by simply a long press of my home button. Another tweak I am currently using is Lock Info via Cydia. It let's u run your Notification Center widgets on the Lockscreen and homescreen and is initialized via the home or lock button when locked. This needs to be natively employed in iOS if you ask me. -imageuploadedbymodmyi1358551331.941659.jpg
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor

Thanks for the activator tips guys. I had noticed that but hadn't checked it out yet. Am i missing something but it looks like you can set a double tap on the clock or on the status bar, but not anywhere on the screen. I also tried to set it up from swipe up from the bottom of the screen, but it doenst seem to work to well with infinidock. Do you guys have any other suggestion of must have tweaks for 6.0.2? Thanks again guys, im having a lot of fun messing with iOS now.