Results 1 to 9 of 9

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Manually Applying Cydia Tweaks In Order To Un-Jailbreak

  1. #1
    Default Manually Applying Cydia Tweaks In Order To Un-Jailbreak
    I have a tethered jailbroken iphone 4 with ios 6 and have been making small mods via cydia and ifunbox. Is there a way to permanently apply cydia tweaks or themes to the phone so that I can unjailbreak it and just have it boot normally? I am capable of going into the file system and doing it that way if necessary. I have been unable to find how to do this via forum screening and google searching. If anyone knows how to manually apply these tweaks and keep them in please let me know. Thanks

  2. #2
    It's not possible. For the tweaks to work, the iphone has to be jailbroken to utilize mobile substrate (which runs tweaks use to run)
    For file system mods (images, strings, etc), the iphone has to be jailbroken to allow access to the file system. if you un-jailbreak without restoring, then it will stay how you left it. If you want to change anything again you will have to re-jailbreak.

  3. #3
    ok great so it is then possible to un-jailbreak without restoring? if so how do you go about doing that? i'd like to do exactly as you said, make file system mods then unjailbreak so it stays permanent. thanks so much for the input!

  4. #4
    What a twist of words. To unjailbreak you need to restore, no other way around.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Parana6 View Post
    What a twist of words. To unjailbreak you need to restore, no other way around.
    if this is the case and the only possible way to unjailbreak is to restore as you have said, then is it possible to make a custom restore file with mods in the file already so that the restored phone has the mods by default? if so, does anyone know how this can be done? thanks

  6. #6
    What's Jailbreak? walkerpbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Duncanville, TX, USA
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Desiring to unjailbreak permenently
    Quote Originally Posted by Parana6 View Post
    What a twist of words. To unjailbreak you need to restore, no other way around.
    Sir, I'm kind of a newbie, so please forgive my ignorance: I have followed the majority of advice to unjailbreak (which I would like to do permanently!). l However the standard advice of backup, reset & restore puts it back in jailbreak! What's a fellow to do?
    Last edited by walkerpbus; 04-19-2013 at 02:05 PM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerpbus View Post
    Sir, I'm kind of a newbie, so please forgive my ignorance: I have followed the majority of advice to unjailbreak (which I would like to do permanently!). l However the standard advice of backup, reset & restore puts it back in jailbreak! What's a fellow to do?
    Do a true DFU restore then setup as new and it will be a nice clean install!

    Check out WW2 for iOS 8 - Widget-Weather 2.0

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

    walkerpbus (04-19-2013)

  9. #8
    What's Jailbreak? walkerpbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Duncanville, TX, USA
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Thumbs up Wanting to unjailbreak desperately!
    Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Do a true DFU restore then setup as new and it will be a nice clean install!
    Sir or Ma'am,
    Thanks for the reply, but I warn you: though I'm fairly technical, I fail to understand some of this stuff: 1. What's a DFU restore? 2. Does setup as new kill/disappear all legitimate helps/apps. For instance there's a help app (aside from it's mention of iPhone 5 (I have a 4s), it's very valuable in understanding most of the rest). You also had some text below the quote shown here which I didn't understand at all. Please be gentle, kind, OK?

  10. #9
    Super Penguin Mod i.Annie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    16,907
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by walkerpbus View Post
    Sir or Ma'am,
    Thanks for the reply, but I warn you: though I'm fairly technical, I fail to understand some of this stuff: 1. What's a DFU restore? 2. Does setup as new kill/disappear all legitimate helps/apps. For instance there's a help app (aside from it's mention of iPhone 5 (I have a 4s), it's very valuable in understanding most of the rest). You also had some text below the quote shown here which I didn't understand at all. Please be gentle, kind, OK?
    What you're trying to do is not possible. If you "unjailbreak" it, you're restoring it to factory. Because the iPhone is a closed source, you wouldn't even have root access to modify the system files you're wanting that correlate to what Cydia tweaks do. To create a custom modded firmware is possible but that's just going to jailbreak the phone anyway. There's just no way to apply the added tweaks built into a custom firmware without having to have your device not jailbroken. So you either have to deal with your tethered jailbreak, or you run it stock.

    To put the device into DFU, simply turn the phone off, hold power button for 3 seconds then hold home simultaneously with it until the screen goes black, release the power button but keep holding on to home for about 15-20 seconds. The device will be set into DFU, iTunes will recognize that, and you may restore.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •