Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cannot Remove 6GB of "Other" Files from iPhone 4s running iOS 5.1.1

Default Cannot Remove 6GB of "Other" Files from iPhone 4s running iOS 5.1.1
    I have an iPhone 4s running iOS v5.1.1 - it is jailbroken. Today my phone crashed and rebooted and when it came up all of my applications installed from iTunes were gone.

I plugged the iPhone back into my laptop and was able to reinstall all of my apps, although I lost the application data - no big deal. I cannot restore right now as I cannot restore back to iOS 5.1.1 and I do not want to update to iOS 6 until an untethered jailbreak is available.

After I synced everything back, teh "Other" files showing under iTunes was 10GB. I googled and found an article on the web to install DiskAid, delete the folders in the Music folder, un check sync music, etc.

Fixing "other files" eating up iPhone storage

I did the above and got back 4GB but still have 6GB showing in other which is about 5 GB more than what I showed before the crash.

I cannot figure out how to clean these files up without restoring, which I do not want to do. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Just try wandering around more in the file system... See if u can find it.. That's all I know to do, except restore of course...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Look in the root directory: var/mobile/media/ApplicationArchives
    It's the location iTunes uses when you DL an app, after the app installs iOS deletes the contents. Sometimes a crash will interupt the delete process and leave the data behind.

After playing around with this on a flight to Holland, I have some more information on what may be happening, but am not any closer to figuring this out.

I now have 10.4 GB of Other files. This matches the sum of my Music (6.4 GB) and Video (4 GB) files. I went back though and used DiskAid to delete the "F" folders in the iTunes Control folder on the article listed above. When I do this, I can eliminate the Other files, but here are the issues.

None of the Video files fill play from the iPhone. When I try, I get some message like - "The requested URL was not found on the server." So I un-sync and re-sync the Video files, and they play, but the Other files jumps up to 4 GB.

If I make any changes to the Music I sync, another 6.4 GB of Other files shows up bringing the total to 10.4 GB again.

I have tried all kinds of ideas going back using DiskAid to delete the F folders and starting over.

I tried only syncing music and first and no video files.
    I tried only syncing one music file or one video file instead of all of them - I tired both files that I had been syncing before, and ones that I had not synced before.

No matter what I tried, if I change anything related to the syncing of Music or Video, all of the Other files show back up.

This is driving me crazy in addition to taking up a huge chuck of space on my phone.

I hope this gives someone else some ideas....

After playing around with this on a flight to Holland, I have some more information on what may be happening, but am not any closer to figuring this out.

I now have 10.4 GB of Other files. This matches the sum of my Music (6.4 GB) and Video (4 GB) files. I went back though and used DiskAid to delete the "F" folders in the iTunes Control folder on the article listed above. When I do this, I can eliminate the Other files, but here are the issues.

None of the Video files fill play from the iPhone. When I try, I get some message like - "The requested URL was not found on the server." So I un-sync and re-sync the Video files, and they play, but the Other files jumps up to 4 GB.

If I make any changes to the Music I sync, another 6.4 GB of Other files shows up bringing the total to 10.4 GB again.

I have tried all kinds of ideas going back using DiskAid to delete the F folders and starting over.

I tried only syncing music and first and no video files.
    I tried only syncing one music file or one video file instead of all of them - I tired both files that I had been syncing before, and ones that I had not synced before.

No matter what I tried, if I change anything related to the syncing of Music or Video, all of the Other files show back up.

This is driving me crazy in addition to taking up a huge chuck of space on my phone.

I hope this gives someone else some ideas....

Default worked like a charm!
    Thanks so much, I freed up over a GB on my phone!

Default i been there try this!
    i think your back up contains app data like if you were using goodplayer video app
    then you deleted it but for some apps you have to manualy remove content/ video before you delete the app
    most apps delete thier data but some dont
    i found out my 6 gigs of data was video files in apps !
    so use ifile to view apps and see if they contain there own documents folder and delete whats inside