Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Address book...

Default Address book...
    My phone (3GS) has been really kooky lately, so I restored it to 5.1.1. It was previously an early 4.x... anyway I backed up my photos, address book and sms db file via iphonebrowser. Can seem to copy any of the three back to the phone... in fact SMS copy file seemed to put it in a boot loop where I had to do another recovery to 5.1.1

In the very least would like to get my address book back.. is there an app that I can import from the sql file and somehow put it on the phone... copying the file to the /var/.../Addressbook folder doesn't seem to work.

So suggestions for the address book? Have the db file, can I extract it somehow and sync it back... or is there an easier way?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

There is a conflict with firmware version with in sql, most likely. Best bet is to restore to 4.x... to what ever it was. When done SHH those files again. This should work, you should now see your contacts and SMS... now go to app store and install MCBackup ... follow instructions...

There are plenty DiY on the web on how to downgrade from 5.x.x to 4.x.x just google. I don't know of anything else other than probing around the sql files.

BTW that app will only back up contacts... as for SMS search Cydia I think there is something there that will back up SMS.
    Last edited by hadzo; 07-20-2012 at 12:36 PM.
    Hit the thanks button if I helped in any way

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hadzo For This Useful Post:

xeony2k (07-20-2012)

Hmmm downgrade huh... was hoping to forgo that :/

The address book is the biggie... nothing so big in the sms I NEED, plus I can extract to a xls sheet if I really needed. SMS that is.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Yeah I know its pain but the app I recommended is a must... I no longer back up my contacts with PC or Mac. This app is a life saver... once you save your contacts you can email them to your self or multiple email which in essence allows you to bring them back on any iphone in future without itunes!

Like I said, there is probably a way to probe those files but remember that if you do try that route to save a copy somewhere else on your machine in case they go corrupt.

Good luck!
    Hit the thanks button if I helped in any way

My iPhone is a Part of Me Susty's Avatar
    Thanks

You can use phonecopy from the apple app store for contacts, it's free & very versatile.

Thanks

Yah bro your kid of stuck...
    Best bet would be to do as first poster said and downgrade(4.x) restore from backup, backup contacts to any app/contacts client, then upgrade to 5.1.1 and restore your contacts from the app/ contact client.

Hope this helps

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Hi, when you restored from iOS4 to iOS5, iTunes should have backed up first. Check your iTunes preferences, device backups for the iOS4 backup. If you have, you can use a program like iPhone backup extractor to pull your contacts out in vCard format which can then be emailed back to yourself to be added to your phone.

iPhone Backup Extractor for Windows and Mac

I have not tried CopyBot, but this how to guide is worth a read

How to transfer contacts from iPhone to iPhone

Found a sort of fix... got it exported to a CSV...

Credit to: How to convert "AddressBook.sqlitedb" to CSV or similar? - MacRumors Forums

1. Open AddressBook database

Open Firefox and install the SQLite Manager add-on for Firefox, restarted firefox. Goto Web Developer->SQLite Manager. On SQLite Manager window click the open icon and selected AddressBook.sqlitedb.

2. Open the Execute SQL tab and execute the following query

select ABPerson.prefix, ABPerson.first,ABPerson.last, ABMultiValue.value from ABPerson,ABMultiValue where ABMultiValue.record_id=ABPerson.ROWID

if you want to get more details;, e.g, notes, birthday, etc., use the following query

select ABPerson.prefix,ABPerson.suffix, ABPerson.first,ABPerson.middle,ABPerson.last, ABMultiValue.value, ABPerson.note, ABPerson.nickname, ABPerson.organization, ABPerson.department, ABPerson.jobtitle, ABPerson.birthday from ABPerson,ABMultiValue where ABMultiValue.record_id=ABPerson.ROWID

And wollah, there are all your contacts.

3. Hit the Actions button and choose Save Result(CSV) to file

there you have all your contacts in a CSV.