+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone App Recovery

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I recently went through the process of restoring my iPhone and updating from 5.01 to 5.1.1 both Jailbroken. In preparation, I used SSH to backup an app that lets me
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone App Recovery
    I recently went through the process of restoring my iPhone and updating from 5.01 to 5.1.1 both Jailbroken. In preparation, I used SSH to backup an app that lets me store data such as pictures, video and other information that has a password. I copied the file from /private/var/mobile/Applications/ to my computer in order to move it back when the process was complete and keeping all my data from the app in tact. Now after doing all this i move the file back into the /private/var/mobile/Applications/ folder and rebooted my phone and have no idea how to get it operational. Any help on what to do? If you need more details just ask. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Did you reinstall it from the app store? Sometimes it isn't as simple as copying and pasting an app back into the device.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Did you reinstall it from the app store? Sometimes it isn't as simple as copying and pasting an app back into the device.
    I have tried that, I re installed it but I am trying to get the pictures and video back. I can see it on my computer in WinSCP. I am not able to just move the files into the other because it has problems with linking where it is at.

Thanks

The pics/vids that you backed up, which folder did they come from before you restored your device.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    The pics/vids that you backed up, which folder did they come from before you restored your device.
    I have been looking through iFile and have just started to manually move over some files from the moved back app in /private/var/mobile/Applications/ that does not work into the one I re downloaded. It seems to work so far still testing. Also i saw in iFile in File Attributes there is a part under Ownership that says Owner. Previously it said "root" and I changed it to "mobile." Would that be part of the problem with recognizing the files or does it not matter who the Owner is?
    Last edited by FPSEdward; 06-15-2012 at 02:32 PM.

Thanks

It could be. I guess I'm just not quite understanding what is working and what is not as of now.

EVO
    Thanks

what is the App called?

And you said you can see the pictures and videos on your computer but its not restoring in the App, is that what I'm understanding?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The app is called KyCalc and as of now i got it back to working order. In iFile I copy/pasted all the files inside of /private/var/mobile/Applications/randomletters of the one I had backed up into the new downloaded except for the actual .app file. I also changed the Ownership to mobile instead of root although I am not sure if that entirely matters.

EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FPSEdward View Post
    The app is called KyCalc and as of now i got it back to working order. In iFile I copy/pasted all the files inside of /private/var/mobile/Applications/randomletters of the one I had backed up into the new downloaded except for the actual .app file. I also changed the Ownership to mobile instead of root although I am not sure if that entirely matters.
    most likely the ownership issue, some apps require certain ownership permissions to allow the various functions in the app to access files, kind of like Shared And NTFS permissions on a windows pc..