+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to get around 370 mb of RAM on your iDevice

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Well guys, there are many ways to maximize the amount of RAM your iDevice has. First of all, the most basic way to maximize the RAM of your iDevice, is
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,895 Times in 1,676 Posts

Default How to get around 370 mb of RAM on your iDevice
    Well guys, there are many ways to maximize the amount of RAM your iDevice has. First of all, the most basic way to maximize the RAM of your iDevice, is to install as less tweaks as you possibly can.

Here is a guide to increasing the RAM/Speed of your iDevice:

1. Disable spotlight-One does this in Settings>General>Spotlight Search, and uncheck everything.

2. Optimize images in Winterboard-Open winterboard, and look down at optimize themes 1.0. It will say "Reticulating Splines, please wait, this will take a few minutes." Wait until it's done (that message will disappear when it's done ). I typicall optimize ALL theme stuff, keyboard, widgets, everything. Optimizing compresses an image, saving space.

3. Disable unnecessary Launch Daemons: install Mobileterminal for iOS 4. Install Remove LaunchDaemons from that same repo. Go into Mobileterminal, type in "Su" and then "alpine"(or whatever password you use for sshing) and then type in "rld". Press enter, read, and follow directions.

4. Remove unnecessary Language packs: install Mobileterminal for iOS 4. Install Lang2.2 from that same repo. Go into Mobileterminal, type in "Su" and then "alpine"(or whatever password you use for sshing) and then type in "lang2.2". Press enter, read, and follow directions.

You'll need to reboot after removing Language packs or LaunchDaemons. Remember to READ everything that it tells you, you don't wanna remove anything you actually use lol.

Google for the deb, or you can do it manually.

Here's some more ways

By Patfreak: i deleted all my unused language manually..plus all the var/logs/crash and var/mobile/library/crashreporter reporter which one file usually 87kb-90kb..and thats what make mine a incredibly fast.

maybe you want to speed up more.i deleted the female and male voices in System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SportsWorkoutframework/voices. and just leave ENUS..im on iphone 4 4.3.2..try it and youll see much faster and a larger storage..free up to almost 100mb

You can get much more speed/ram doing the above things. BE SURE TO READ EVERYTHING YOU DO IN MOBILETERMINAL!!

And yes, I've tested all of these methods as well..my iPhone can handle widgets much better than before .

Also, be sure to reboot after you do this guys, as rebooting clears your processes better than any Cydia application can... a reboot a day isn't a bad idea, although it might be inconvenient for people who are currently tethered.

*Also note that using heavy hitting themes that require alot of setup will take up your RAM, as they not only use a widget, but tweaks that will get the icons in the placement they need to be gotten into. Therefore, Nav themes or any other perpage setup can guarantee to use more RAM. A complete theme with no special setup, maybe a light widget would be best if you want a quicker iPhone. I get over 360 megabytes of RAM with a lockscreen widget and a complete theme running on my iPhone.

Also, I use omnistat to free my memory...Sbsettings uses Activator, and is a bit buggy on my firmware anyways. Omnistat would probably be better for freeing up memory.

If anyone has any other ideas, please feel free to add them in the comments below, and I'll add it to this post with credit for finding it given.

And follow me on twitter here https://twitter.com/#!/The_KnightWing for any assistance, or if you want to hear what I want to say in general

Also, Sal Godinez has some very interesting ways to clear your iDevice memory on his blog, visit it here: http://salgodinez.blogspot.com/

And follow him here: https://twitter.com/#!/iH4ck5

Follow us on twitter @iOSAlliance
    Follow me on twitter @The_KnightWing

2. The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to KnightWing For This Useful Post:

.:JimmyL:. (06-14-2012), a7x (07-08-2012), Atomic7 (07-06-2012), chevymusclecar (06-14-2012), Darrenrooster (06-14-2012), Destan (05-16-2012), grd069 (09-25-2012), indyzzzz (05-13-2012), It's Mi (05-12-2012), Jephre (04-25-2012), jjk454ss (05-12-2012), Laxu (07-10-2012), LetTheRight1N (05-19-2012), Max_Pa1n (06-14-2012), metaserph (06-14-2012), mikelikesanime (06-14-2012), mymonkeyballs (05-12-2012), nateD (05-12-2012), neurosys (07-14-2012), nik1975 (05-12-2012), NuckinFutz (05-16-2012), pinkinail (05-12-2012), PitBullGer (07-26-2012), pnunez1310 (05-14-2012), RippedThemer (04-24-2012), rumcajs (06-14-2012), samsquanch (06-14-2012), sigit (05-13-2012), Sleazy (10-13-2012), stljrd1980 (05-12-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,325 Posts

thanks for the post,try it now..
    Quote Originally Posted by KnightWing View Post
    Well guys, there are many ways to maximize the amount of RAM your iDevice has. First of all, the most basic way to maximize the RAM of your iDevice, is to install as less tweaks as you possibly can.

Here is a guide to increasing the RAM/Speed of your iDevice:

1. Disable spotlight-One does this in Settings>General>Spotlight Search, and uncheck everything.

2. Optimize images in Winterboard-Open winterboard, and look down at optimize themes 1.0. It will say "Reticulating Splines, please wait, this will take a few minutes." Wait until it's done (that message will disappear when it's done ). I typicall optimize ALL theme stuff, keyboard, widgets, everything. Optimizing compresses an image, saving space.

3. Disable unnecessary Launch Daemons: install Mobileterminal for iOS 4. Install Remove LaunchDaemons from that same repo. Go into Mobileterminal, type in "Su" and then "alpine"(or whatever password you use for sshing) and then type in "rld". Press enter, read, and follow directions.

4. Remove unnecessary Language packs: install Mobileterminal for iOS 4. Install Lang2.2 from that same repo. Go into Mobileterminal, type in "Su" and then "alpine"(or whatever password you use for sshing) and then type in "lang2.2". Press enter, read, and follow directions.

You'll need to reboot after removing Language packs or LaunchDaemons. Remember to READ everything that it tells you, you don't wanna remove anything you actually use lol.

Google for the deb, or you can do it manually.

Here's some more ways

By Patfreak: i deleted all my unused language manually..plus all the var/logs/crash and var/mobile/library/crashreporter reporter which one file usually 87kb-90kb..and thats what make mine a incredibly fast.

maybe you want to speed up more.i deleted the female and male voices in System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SportsWorkoutframework/voices. and just leave ENUS..im on iphone 4 4.3.2..try it and youll see much faster and a larger storage..free up to almost 100mb

You can get much more speed/ram doing the above things. BE SURE TO READ EVERYTHING YOU DO IN MOBILETERMINAL!!

And yes, I've tested all of these methods as well..my iPhone can handle widgets much better than before .

Also, be sure to reboot after you do this guys, as rebooting clears your processes better than any Cydia application can... a reboot a day isn't a bad idea, although it might be inconvenient for people who are currently tethered.

*Also note that using heavy hitting themes that require alot of setup will take up your RAM, as they not only use a widget, but tweaks that will get the icons in the placement they need to be gotten into. Therefore, Nav themes or any other perpage setup can guarantee to use more RAM. A complete theme with no special setup, maybe a light widget would be best if you want a quicker iPhone. I get over 360 megabytes of RAM with a lockscreen widget and a complete theme running on my iPhone.

Also, I use omnistat to free my memory...Sbsettings uses Activator, and is a bit buggy on my firmware anyways. Omnistat would probably be better for freeing up memory.

If anyone has any other ideas, please feel free to add them in the comments below, and I'll add it to this post with credit for finding it given.

And follow me on twitter here https://twitter.com/#!/The_KnightWing for any assistance, or if you want to hear what I want to say in general

Also, Sal Godinez has some very interesting ways to clear your iDevice memory on his blog, visit it here: Sal Godinez

And follow him here: https://twitter.com/#!/iH4ck5

Thanks

Didn't know disabling spotlight gave you more. Will try it.
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by celeron View Post
    Didn't know disabling spotlight gave you more. Will try it.
    It will speed up your iDevice actually.

This is pretty much a guide for making your iPhone faster and optimizing memory

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,054 Times in 4,200 Posts

I don't see it making any difference at all without spotlight.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    I don't see it making any difference at all without spotlight.
    My guide isn't the only one that suggests removing it

Thanks
    Thanked 5,401 Times in 2,657 Posts

My guide isn't the only one that suggests removing it
    Well bro just want to thank you!! Did just some of them and is looking good ur amazing brother. Thanks for taking ur time to help us alL with this

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zplit For This Useful Post:

KnightWing (07-18-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 377 Posts

Thx

Thanks

Bump

iPhone? More like MyPhone CraZyJaVieR's Avatar
    Thanks

will the tweak no spotlight help?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I can not run rld. helllp

I did it sorry, but still 250 mb max of free mem
    Last edited by dejson; 07-05-2012 at 04:00 PM.

Recovering Theme Addict having a relapse jayjOka's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,979 Times in 651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dejson View Post

What device do you have?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jayjOka View Post
    What device do you have?
    4S and been testing all day, only once last night was 350MB but constantly around 250 Mb of free ram, does everyone else got 370

All the time I wasnt cleaning RAM, i just killed the processes,my fault,after cleaning ram i get around 320 MB.enough for me
    Last edited by dejson; 07-07-2012 at 01:32 PM.

a7x
    Thanks

Very helpfull guide !

Green Apple
    Thanks

helpfull, thx. couple qwikys though:

1. not sure which tweak it was, but now my music title, in music app, scrolls by at mach 5? wth did i do there?

2. what apps do you use to clear memory? i have sbsettings and one in a notification addon that does it. is there a standard soemone can recomend?

3. lastly, is there a way to c whats running so i can look it up? things running in background that i really dont need? wanna c how much my theme is taking. using existenz with the dark mod and i'm sure it's gotta be sucking it up.

neurosys

Thanks

Tried this yesterday..still works :P

Quote Originally Posted by neurosys View Post
    helpfull, thx. couple qwikys though:

1. not sure which tweak it was, but now my music title, in music app, scrolls by at mach 5? wth did i do there?

2. what apps do you use to clear memory? i have sbsettings and one in a notification addon that does it. is there a standard soemone can recomend?

3. lastly, is there a way to c whats running so i can look it up? things running in background that i really dont need? wanna c how much my theme is taking. using existenz with the dark mod and i'm sure it's gotta be sucking it up.

neurosys
    1. You might have Springtomize 2 custom animation duration flipped on, flip it off.

2. I use omnistat. Sbsettings and activator use quite a bit of RAM for my taste.

3. As long as a theme doesn't require many(if any) special tweaks, you are fine. Widgets tend to mess with RAM, especially animated ones. I always use non animated widgets.

Quote Originally Posted by dejson View Post

Do you have many tweaks, or widgets running? Do you have Siri enabled?

Quote Originally Posted by CraZyJaVieR View Post
    will the tweak no spotlight help?
    This deals with speed, not really RAM. I just uncheck everything in settings and disable via Springtomize 2
    Last edited by KnightWing; 07-18-2012 at 03:17 PM.

Thanks

Tried this yesterday..still works :P

1. You might have Springtomize 2 custom animation duration flipped on, flip it off.

2. I use omnistat. Sbsettings and activator use quite a bit of RAM for my taste.

3. As long as a theme doesn't require many(if any) special tweaks, you are fine. Widgets tend to mess with RAM, especially animated ones. I always use non animated widgets.

Do you have many tweaks, or widgets running? Do you have Siri enabled?

This deals with speed, not really RAM. I just uncheck everything in settings and disable via Springtomize 2
    I did it works but my Siri don't work now I click and Siri comes out but don't do the loading. Not sure what I did wrong and don't want to restore

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zplit View Post
    I did it works but my Siri don't work now I click and Siri comes out but don't do the loading. Not sure what I did wrong and don't want to restore
    Did you remove the daemon for Siri maybe?

Thanks

Did you remove the daemon for Siri maybe?
    I think cuz I download some daemon removers from cydia!! Any way i can get it back or have to restore.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zplit View Post
    I think cuz I download some daemon removers from cydia!! Any way i can get it back or have to restore.
    You can get them back

I'll have to go back and look up the locations, but this is definitely fixable if it's a daemon