Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
04-23-2012, 10:31 AM #1How to get around 370 mb of RAM on your iDevice
Well guys, there are many ways to maximize the amount of RAM your iDevice has. First of all, the most basic way to maximize the RAM of your iDevice, is to install as less tweaks as you possibly can.
Here is a guide to increasing the RAM/Speed of your iDevice:
1. Disable spotlight-One does this in Settings>General>Spotlight Search, and uncheck everything.
2. Optimize images in Winterboard-Open winterboard, and look down at optimize themes 1.0. It will say "Reticulating Splines, please wait, this will take a few minutes." Wait until it's done (that message will disappear when it's done ). I typicall optimize ALL theme stuff, keyboard, widgets, everything. Optimizing compresses an image, saving space.
3. Disable unnecessary Launch Daemons: install Mobileterminal for iOS 4. Install Remove LaunchDaemons from that same repo. Go into Mobileterminal, type in "Su" and then "alpine"(or whatever password you use for sshing) and then type in "rld". Press enter, read, and follow directions.
4. Remove unnecessary Language packs: install Mobileterminal for iOS 4. Install Lang2.2 from that same repo. Go into Mobileterminal, type in "Su" and then "alpine"(or whatever password you use for sshing) and then type in "lang2.2". Press enter, read, and follow directions.
You'll need to reboot after removing Language packs or LaunchDaemons. Remember to READ everything that it tells you, you don't wanna remove anything you actually use lol.
Google for the deb, or you can do it manually.
Here's some more ways
By Patfreak: i deleted all my unused language manually..plus all the var/logs/crash and var/mobile/library/crashreporter reporter which one file usually 87kb-90kb..and thats what make mine a incredibly fast.
maybe you want to speed up more.i deleted the female and male voices in System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SportsWorkoutframework/voices. and just leave ENUS..im on iphone 4 4.3.2..try it and youll see much faster and a larger storage..free up to almost 100mb
You can get much more speed/ram doing the above things. BE SURE TO READ EVERYTHING YOU DO IN MOBILETERMINAL!!
And yes, I've tested all of these methods as well..my iPhone can handle widgets much better than before .
Also, be sure to reboot after you do this guys, as rebooting clears your processes better than any Cydia application can... a reboot a day isn't a bad idea, although it might be inconvenient for people who are currently tethered.
*Also note that using heavy hitting themes that require alot of setup will take up your RAM, as they not only use a widget, but tweaks that will get the icons in the placement they need to be gotten into. Therefore, Nav themes or any other perpage setup can guarantee to use more RAM. A complete theme with no special setup, maybe a light widget would be best if you want a quicker iPhone. I get over 360 megabytes of RAM with a lockscreen widget and a complete theme running on my iPhone.
Also, I use omnistat to free my memory...Sbsettings uses Activator, and is a bit buggy on my firmware anyways. Omnistat would probably be better for freeing up memory.
If anyone has any other ideas, please feel free to add them in the comments below, and I'll add it to this post with credit for finding it given.
And follow me on twitter here https://twitter.com/#!/The_KnightWing for any assistance, or if you want to hear what I want to say in general
Also, Sal Godinez has some very interesting ways to clear your iDevice memory on his blog, visit it here: http://salgodinez.blogspot.com/
And follow him here: https://twitter.com/#!/iH4ck5Follow me on twitter @The_KnightWing
The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to KnightWing For This Useful Post:
.:JimmyL:. (06-14-2012), a7x (07-08-2012), Atomic7 (07-06-2012), chevymusclecar (06-14-2012), Darrenrooster (06-14-2012), Destan (05-16-2012), grd069 (09-25-2012), indyzzzz (05-13-2012), It's Mi (05-12-2012), Jephre (04-25-2012), jjk454ss (05-12-2012), Laxu (07-10-2012), LetTheRight1N (05-19-2012), Max_Pa1n (06-14-2012), metaserph (06-14-2012), mikelikesanime (06-14-2012), mymonkeyballs (05-12-2012), nateD (05-12-2012), neurosys (07-14-2012), nik1975 (05-12-2012), NuckinFutz (05-16-2012), pinkinail (05-12-2012), PitBullGer (07-26-2012), pnunez1310 (05-14-2012), RippedThemer (04-24-2012), rumcajs (06-14-2012), samsquanch (06-14-2012), sigit (05-13-2012), Sleazy (10-13-2012), stljrd1980 (05-12-2012)
05-13-2012, 09:31 PM #2
05-13-2012, 10:31 PM #3
Didn't know disabling spotlight gave you more. Will try it.If my post was good, click the button in my post
New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide
05-14-2012, 12:33 AM #4
05-14-2012, 04:35 AM #5
I don't see it making any difference at all without spotlight.
05-14-2012, 06:57 AM #6
05-14-2012, 12:11 PM #7
The Following User Says Thank You to zplit For This Useful Post:
05-16-2012, 04:58 AM #8
06-14-2012, 09:48 PM #9
BumpFollow me on twitter @The_KnightWing
06-20-2012, 08:22 AM #10
will the tweak no spotlight help?
07-05-2012, 03:20 PM #11
I can not run rld. helllp
I did it sorry, but still 250 mb max of free mem
Last edited by dejson; 07-05-2012 at 04:00 PM.
07-06-2012, 02:51 AM #12
07-06-2012, 01:48 PM #13
Last edited by dejson; 07-07-2012 at 01:32 PM.
07-08-2012, 06:15 AM #14
07-16-2012, 03:28 PM #15
helpfull, thx. couple qwikys though:
1. not sure which tweak it was, but now my music title, in music app, scrolls by at mach 5? wth did i do there?
2. what apps do you use to clear memory? i have sbsettings and one in a notification addon that does it. is there a standard soemone can recomend?
3. lastly, is there a way to c whats running so i can look it up? things running in background that i really dont need? wanna c how much my theme is taking. using existenz with the dark mod and i'm sure it's gotta be sucking it up.
07-18-2012, 03:14 PM #16
Tried this yesterday..still works :P
2. I use omnistat. Sbsettings and activator use quite a bit of RAM for my taste.
3. As long as a theme doesn't require many(if any) special tweaks, you are fine. Widgets tend to mess with RAM, especially animated ones. I always use non animated widgets.
Last edited by KnightWing; 07-18-2012 at 03:17 PM.Follow me on twitter @The_KnightWing
07-18-2012, 03:20 PM #17
07-18-2012, 03:21 PM #18
07-18-2012, 03:23 PM #19
07-18-2012, 03:27 PM #20