Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to easily remove language packs?

Default How to easily remove language packs?
    So I just finished manually deleting all the unneeded language packs from my ipod in the private frameworks folder and I do not want to repeat that tedious process for the rest of the frameworks and applications. Does anyone know of a script or package that will delete the language packs i do not need automatically? BTW the only language packs i have been saving are En.iproj English.iproj and uk.iproj.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

There is a scrip that you can run from mobile terminal not sure exactly what it was... try google search

Just wanted to comment that if you like using emoji icons do not delete Japanese.iproj.

Lang2.2 it's in the *mod edit*
    Last edited by 2k1; 03-08-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Forum Rules

Talking about warez sites or cracked apps is against the forum rules

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

A quick google will give you direction to finding these scripts.

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    Forum Rules

Talking about warez sites or cracked apps is against the forum rules
    I'm not sure if this is directed at me or not but I do not believe I directly mentioned any of those thing but W/E.

Thanks for all the help everyone didn't realize it would be as easy as going to Google.
    Last edited by Pecans; 03-08-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Thanks

Think he was talking to the person who responded to you earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Think he was talking to the person who responded to you earlier.
    Same it would be useful if he would use quotes. :P

Thanks

Very much so. I certainly hope you find what you need. If you have trouble, I think I'll be able to find the file and point you in the right direction if need be.

I just googled it and found it almost immediately. Just finished running it and got rid of 7515 files. About 30 more MB's of RAM. Thanks everyone, any other ideas for freeing up ram?

Thanks

I'm assuming u have 3GS...u could remove all the retina icon files...this doesn't free RAM, neither does removing language packs, but there are startup processes you can prevent from starting..that will free RAM, plus SBS process toggle then free memory...

Quote Originally Posted by jcerjak View Post
    Lang2.2 it's in the *mod edit*
    the problem with jcerjak's post (for people who don't know what's going on here)
    is that the most popular scripts for 'cleaning up' language packs, background daemons and other clutter,
    just happen to be ones that are currently only hosted on warez repositories.

The scripts themselves aren't bad per se, and don't violate mmi forum policy,
    but annoyingly, there isn't any easy way for an end-user to find and download and install them
    without going to warez sites (which are bad per se, and do violate mmi forum rules).

There are a few other extremely useful apps that seem to have fallen through the same cracks, for unfathomable reasons.
    One of these days I'm gonna badger saurik over it. :/

i mean, seriously.
    mobileterminal? :/

[/gripe]

Thanks

I hear ya...

Thanks

Yes it's unfortunate that the places you can find free tools are sites associated with pirated material. Nothing we can do, rules are rules no exceptions.

Thanks

I know....too bad....don't have to tell me.....
    Last edited by xboxbml; 03-15-2012 at 04:35 PM.

fail

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Yes it's unfortunate that the places you can find free tools are sites associated with pirated material. Nothing we can do, rules are rules no exceptions.
    I agree that it's not mmi's problem.
    But the issue is that these tools aren't hosted anywhere else, and I'm puzzled as to why that can't be fixed.

example:
    re: Mobileterminal
    the only "official" release in Cydia is very old, and crashes on anything since OS 3.1.3.
    Around 4.1 days, I actually asked Saurik what was needed to compile and build the working CVS, after trying for months.

He said he didn't know, and couldn't remember. It was a toolchain he'd hand-built some years before.

Today, the situation is slightly better, since someone (other than Saurik! cleaned up the source code, and it now builds with the normal XCode tree just fine. Even better, there are now links from the main source repository to recent prebuilt .deb packages.

Great, but it's still not within the Cydia ecosystem.
    Users have to manually download and manually install.

(however, there ARE repositories which carry them. They're just not 'good' repos that anyone should actually use.)
    ___

The native GCC compiler for iPhone is another one.
    Was originally supported for OS 1.x and 2.x, but stopped being useful and was never ported to 3.x or newer. Saurik deprecated (some of) the old packages to keep people from accidentally installing a system that probably would never work.

One of the pirates, however spent some time poking at it, and found a fairly simple way to grab the newer (needed) libraries from XCode- so now there are a few scripts, and working GCC cydia packages. The best part is that those packages don't even contain Apple binary or source, so there isn't any direct copyright violation. (You need an external Mac of your own to finish installing).

It's an extremely useful set of scripts, and packages that essentially enable the compiler packages that already do exist in Cydia. Nobody outside the pirate group has picked up on the project and it seems likely at this point that no one else ever will.

I suspect the reason both of these have essentially "died" is that nobody legitimate really has the time or patience to take responsibility for the due dilligence of cleanup that would be necessary to take them on. If there are other reasons, I would genuinely like to know about them before I take on a task that could be fruitless and discouraged, myself.
    Last edited by raduga; 03-16-2012 at 04:51 PM.

Thanks

I wish it could be fixed too. It's very difficult to help somebody with a legitimate question when all we can do is say "Google it."