+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iFile & Stocks

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Is it safe to delete everything that comes up that has to do with Stocks when searching Stocks in iFile? Any help would be greatly appreciated! TIA😃
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iFile & Stocks
    Is it safe to delete everything that comes up that has to do with Stocks when searching Stocks in iFile?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TIA😃
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails iFile & Stocks-imageuploadedbymodmyi1329170608.778856.jpg   iFile & Stocks-imageuploadedbymodmyi1329170635.239089.jpg   iFile & Stocks-imageuploadedbymodmyi1329170644.984572.jpg  

Thanks

I would personally SERIOUSLY recommend AGAINST it. You could cause a significant amount of damage and theres no easy way to tell if files in the stocks files are used by other applications. However, if the stocks are bugging you, you can use the Hide Icon function in SBSettings to hide the icon from your home screen. Thats how I ignore the thing.

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,062 Times in 4,204 Posts

Ya I wouldn't mess with it either. Why would ya want to do it anyways

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for response guys! I already permenately deleted the app from my springboard/phone so i figure if the app is gone i would like all files pertaining to it to be gone as well.

Thanks

Trust me, you've got a much bigger chance of screwing something up horribly than of clearing stocks off. For the minimal amount of space you'll free, it's not worth risking a restore.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Retribution1337 View Post
    Trust me, you've got a much bigger chance of screwing something up horribly than of clearing stocks off. For the minimal amount of space you'll free, it's not worth risking a restore.
    Sounds good. Thanks for the advice👍

iPhone? More like MyPhone gotzaiPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but I agree with the others, don't delete stuff like that. I was trying to clear out a tweak that was getting goofy by manually deleting files in iFile and I accidentally deleted files that f'ed up cydia. I had to do a restore to get everything back!! I had no idea that cydia needed a particular file and deleting it screwed up everything. Just be careful if you don't want to restore the phone.

Thanks

I recently was interested in using iFile to remove all sorts of things I have never used in my many years of using iPhones... I did some research as to what and how to remove. Seeing as how I never once opened the Stocks app 'cause I dont invest in stock, the Weather app 'cause I live in Hawaii and the GameCenter app 'cause I'm not really using games and could care less about scores, I safely removed the 3 stock apps with no problems since... While I was at it I decided to also thru iFile delete every stock wallpaper, ringtone and text tone since I never use any stock sounds or images... At that point I decided hey why not remove all the language packs since I only use English... Im not condoning or suggesting playing around with iFile like that and deleting stock things because it could be disastrous... However after removing all the above mentioned as well as a dozen launch daemons with no ill effect I realized that iFile has so much potential for cleaning up the iPhone of unnecessary clutter. I have had to restore my phone due to downloading tweaks on Cydia before, but not after deleting all these things using iFile. Again it can be safely done if you spend a lil bit o time watching some vids and readin some posts. Besides, its not like restoring is the end of the world when u have things like pkgbackup, and have your jailbreak program and custom firmware already on your desktop.

Besides, I only got into the iPhone when I learned I could customize it thru Jailbreaking years ago. If I dont want Stocks, GameCenter, or Weather then I should be allowed to remove them regardless of the fact Apple doesn't want me too... Hiding an Icon with the power of a cydia tweak seemed lame too... I wanted them gone... The beauty of Jailbreaking is so much more than just pretty themes and cool lil tweaks... I think its about individual customization and necessity... If you dont need it or will never use it, why not learn how to use things like iFile, mobile terminal, SSH, etc. to remove the stuff...
    Last edited by Sage I; 02-17-2012 at 07:00 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sage I View Post
    I recently was interested in using iFile to remove all sorts of things I have never used in my many years of using iPhones... I did some research as to what and how to remove. Seeing as how I never once opened the Stocks app 'cause I dont invest in stock, the Weather app 'cause I live in Hawaii and the GameCenter app 'cause I'm not really using games and could care less about scores, I safely removed the 3 stock apps with no problems since... While I was at it I decided to also thru iFile delete every stock wallpaper, ringtone and text tone since I never use any stock sounds or images... At that point I decided hey why not remove all the language packs since I only use English... Im not condoning or suggesting playing around with iFile like that and deleting stock things because it could be disastrous... However after removing all the above mentioned as well as a dozen launch daemons with no ill effect I realized that iFile has so much potential for cleaning up the iPhone of unnecessary clutter. I have had to restore my phone due to downloading tweaks on Cydia before, but not after deleting all these things using iFile. Again it can be safely done if you spend a lil bit o time watching some vids and readin some posts. Besides, its not like restoring is the end of the world when u have things like pkgbackup, and have your jailbreak program and custom firmware already on your desktop.

Besides, I only got into the iPhone when I learned I could customize it thru Jailbreaking years ago. If I dont want Stocks, GameCenter, or Weather then I should be allowed to remove them regardless of the fact Apple doesn't want me too... Hiding an Icon with the power of a cydia tweak seemed lame too... I wanted them gone... The beauty of Jailbreaking is so much more than just pretty themes and cool lil tweaks... I think its about individual customization and necessity... If you dont need it or will never use it, why not learn how to use things like iFile, mobile terminal, SSH, etc. to remove the stuff...
    Thanks for the response! My OCD got the better of me and I went on a delete rampage with no ill effects😃 everything is running great if not better than before...placebo effect who knows...I heard about deleting those launch daemons...if you have any good links on how to remove them please share!

Thanks again