+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 4 data not compatible with iOS 5!!!!

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I don't usually use iTunes to backup my files. I just manually get the files I need by SSHing into my iPhone using iFunbox but every time I try to
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default iOS 4 data not compatible with iOS 5!!!!
    I don't usually use iTunes to backup my files. I just manually get the files I need by SSHing into my iPhone using iFunbox but every time I try to put my files from 4.3.3 into my newly updated 5.0.1 iPhone, the iPhone freaks out and glitches up on me. I even try restarting the phone but it still glitches up. So now I've fully restored it. Is there anyway to convert the files from 4.0 to work on 5.0??? Or is there anyway to make the 4.3.3 backup in iTunes work on my 5.0.1 iPhone???

P.S. The files I use are var/mobile/library/...
    -AddressBook
    -Calendar
    -Notes
    -Safari
    -SMS

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Why wouldn't you just back up with iTunes? If you did, you wouldnt have this problem.

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I did.... But for some reason it doesn't give me the option of restoring the backup to my newly restored iPhone! Please give me a step by step because apparently this is too hard for me...

Okay. Someone tell me is it possible to restore an iOS 4 backup to a device that is running iOS 5??
    Last edited by JPili; 12-29-2011 at 07:38 AM.

Thanks

I had trouble restoring from a backup on ios4. Make sure you backup your contacts because you will lose them. You can do it manually through ssh or via iTunes; or any other way people know how to do them.

Thanks

There is an app out there... "iPhone backup recovery" I believe... It will pull off the Picts, sounds and everything else from the actual backup file on ur CPU... But it will not put them on ur phone...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Sellbars's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JPili View Post
    I don't usually use iTunes to backup my files. I just manually get the files I need by SSHing into my iPhone using iFunbox but every time I try to put my files from 4.3.3 into my newly updated 5.0.1 iPhone, the iPhone freaks out and glitches up on me. I even try restarting the phone but it still glitches up. So now I've fully restored it. Is there anyway to convert the files from 4.0 to work on 5.0??? Or is there anyway to make the 4.3.3 backup in iTunes work on my 5.0.1 iPhone???

P.S. The files I use are var/mobile/library/...
    -AddressBook
    -Calendar
    -Notes
    -Safari
    -SMS
    Would you have the SHSH blob of your iPhone? That may help

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sellbars View Post
    Would you have the SHSH blob of your iPhone? That may help
    Yes. I have the SSH blobs for 4.3.3.; 4.3.5; and 5.0.1. but how is that going to help?

Thanks

Oh no you do not want to just slam plist files into 5.0 from
    4.0! Plus they changed a few things around. (and locations of things as well!) they changed names of files to, adding ~iPhone to a lot, but not all items...
    Depending on what you are trying to do, swapping files from 4. To 5. Is a bad idea...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JPili View Post
    I did.... But for some reason it doesn't give me the option of restoring the backup to my newly restored iPhone! Please give me a step by step because apparently this is too hard for me...

Okay. Someone tell me is it possible to restore an iOS 4 backup to a device that is running iOS 5??
    if you actually backed it up, I'm not saying you are lying about it, sometimes iTunes doesn't back up correctly or you just thought you backed it up. IF in fact it is backed up just right click on iphone tab in iTunes while your phone is connected and select restore from back up. That should do it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hadzo View Post
    if you actually backed it up, I'm not saying you are lying about it, sometimes iTunes doesn't back up correctly or you just thought you backed it up. IF in fact it is backed up just right click on iphone tab in iTunes while your phone is connected and select restore from back up. That should do it.
    I had the same prob. I had a backup made just before I updated... The actual forced one when doing an update.. So for some odd reason it flat out refused to use it. I even moved it to show in the restore window but the error I got was the restore was not compatible.. I had to extract my Picts from it with a separate progie.. Not sure what caused it but I have been reading about this and it is happening to some of the people updating...