+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to: Recover WiFi Password from iPhone Backup - Please take a look!

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey everyone - I have a somewhat unique scenario that I was hoping to get some help with from the collective genius/know-how of the modmyi forums . I work for
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default How to: Recover WiFi Password from iPhone Backup - Please take a look!
    Hey everyone -

I have a somewhat unique scenario that I was hoping to get some help with from the collective genius/know-how of the modmyi forums . I work for a company that likes to keep a strangle hold on access to its networks and WiFi. And let me also preface this by saying that I have AT&T and my signal has turned to sh*t ever since I came back from Thanksgiving break. I have no idea why that is - I've tried everything I know to do, to reset the network/tower settings, etc. and nothing seems to work. It's not like it was particularly good to begin with, but I still had functionality before and I'm at the point now where my phone is almost unusable at work, and with so many access restrictions in place already, I'm going a little nuts with not being able to access my personal accounts and stuff during business hours.

Recently my company installed WiFi access on the executive floor (where I work) but they've given only the directors, Sec. Treasurer, and President access. Everybody else can suck a duck. My director and I are very close, and he would have no problem giving me the wifi password, except they won't even give it to him! IT took his iphone and ipad and entered it for him so he has no idea what it is. The iphone he has is company issued, and I'm pretty sure they would frown upon me jailbreaking it (plus this is my directors first iphone so he's clueless about how to do anything but the basics on it). I, however, was clever enough to snag a copy of his most recent iphone backup (which I am certain has the wifi password stored) and I was able to restore his backup to MY jailbroken iphone with the intention of using WiFi Password from Cydia to finally reveal to me what the password is.

I just finished up trying this, but to my utter disappointment, when I loaded WiFi Password I was met with the error "Couldn't access the Key Chain, error code - 25300." After connecting the dots, I realized that it's because my actual iphone has never been connected to this wifi network - only his has. So I just tried connecting my iphone with his profile to a home network, entered the password, connected, re-ran WiFi Password and vaio la - the password is decrypted and displayed. But here's where I'm confused, or here's my question I guess: If I keep his profile (or backup) loaded on my phone, and I walk back into work, will my phone connect to the exec. floor wifi network automatically?? I am almost positive that WiFi passwords are in fact stored in backups. I know this because I have swapped out MANY an iphone at the apple store for various reasons, restored my iphone backup at home, and it connects to my home network without my needing to re-enter my password.. isn't that right? I must admit that it has been a little while since I brought home a new iphone, and restored my backup, so I can't honestly remember for 100% sure that I didn't have to re-enter my home network wifi password when I restored a new phone.

I'm sorry this post is so long, and if you've made it this far I sincerely appreciate your time! Can someone PLEASE help me out with this and explain if what I'm trying to do will be possible? I'm on vacation until this time next week so i won't have a chance to try and bring my phone in range of the work network with his profile loaded to see if it auto connects, or requires me to "re-enter" the password, until I go back to work next week. Any assistance on this would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks again for reading.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Ok fairly sure there is a app on cydia that shows previous input wifi passwords just type wifi in cydia and hit search and just look to u find it hope that helps

Search for WIFI Passwords on cydia install that go to the icon on your springboard and it will show the password your looking for
    Last edited by greensnow; 12-27-2011 at 09:12 PM.

Thanks

Wifi passwords are stored in backups but as far as looking for them manually through ssh or something, I wouldn't where to start.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    It's within the keychain.db in the backup file

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greensnow View Post
    It's within the keychain.db in the backup file
    Is it going to be in plain txt? Can you provide any further instructions? And forgive me if this is an amateur question, but I'm going to need to SSH into my device with his backup restored and find keychain.db right? Do you know the location? Thanks for your help!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    One second

ok first of all make 2 backups of you iphone (just incase) then ssh into you iphone and go to /var/Keychains/ now copy the 4 files that are there. now download a iBackupBot onto your computer and on a backup and drag Keychain-2.db (one of the files u copied) into the main root of your backup. (the ones withthte losts of .plist) and now just open that Keychain-2.db file inside ibackupbot and it will be in plain text so just look what ur looking for there.

let me know if that worked
    Last edited by greensnow; 12-29-2011 at 07:19 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    No problem

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

One second

ok first of all make 2 backups of you iphone (just incase) then ssh into you iphone and go to /var/Keychains/ now copy the 4 files that are there. now download a iBackupBot onto your computer and on a backup and drag Keychain-2.db (one of the files u copied) into the main root of your backup. (the ones withthte losts of .plist) and now just open that Keychain-2.db file inside ibackupbot and it will be in plain text so just look what ur looking for there.

let me know if that worked
    Ok I've restored the backup to my iphone that has the wifi password. I've ssh'ed into the iphone and copied the 4 files you indicated in /var/Keychains/. I've downloaded and installed ibackupbot, but I don't understand your directions after you say to "drag Keychain-2.db into the main root of your backup." It doesn't allow me to simply drag "Keychain-2.db into the root directory" of the backup I have opened in ibackupbot. Can you clarify what to do with Keychain-2.db in order to make it viewable? Thanks!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Oh ok, sorry I won't be able to today cause I'm unwell, if
    I get the chance tommrow I'll post the directions on a blog thing and give u a link. Cause I'm not sure if you can post pictures here.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Sucks when companies limit WiFi... if they are concerned they can just follow activity pattern to see if you're slacking on internet. Unless there is some sensitive company information floating on the WiFi network as well.

But in any case I think that they will probably change it with in a month or so if is that sensitive for them, IT dept. practice that process widely. What are your plans... 007 each time for back up? cheers

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Oh ok, sorry I won't be able to today cause I'm unwell, if
    I get the chance tommrow I'll post the directions on a blog thing and give u a link. Cause I'm not sure if you can post pictures here.
    Hey - think ya might have a chance to follow up tonight? Just for kicks I restored the backup today to my phone hoping and praying that it would auto connect to the wifi network since I was obviously in range, but alas .. No dice. Anxiously awaiting instruction to decrypt keychain.db

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Sorry I've not been well At all, and had to work on a few things, I was thinking if you restore the backup with the one you got that has the password in it. Restore it to that and download Wifi Passwords of cydia. And it should tell you the password. Just click on the icon and follow any instructions.

Sorry hope that helps u atm, I''m still sick atm :/