Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The story behind SiriSays!

Default The story behind SiriSays!
    I was lucky enough get in touch and have an interview with Gizmoloon, the pioneer o the SiriSaysDevTeam!

It all started when I heard about Euwars broken GUI port. I remember spending ages updating to iOS 5 just to try it out. I was rather disappointed when I saw a horribly broken GUI. Immediately I turned to the internet for any answers. I couldn't find any files made for the Non-Retina display, so I set out on making my own. This came to no avail but it sparked something inside me. I guess you could say that's when I really started. I scoured forums for hours that night looking for more files, hungry for my Siri fix. I managed to fix the background and get the strings working too. That was all in the night Euwars leaked iH8Sn0w's dump. I spent hours working to try and get Siri's mic pulsating. In the process, I found out how to add new examples to the Siri command examples screen. I have a screenshot on twitter I'll link you to.Twitter / Glenn F: @StanTheRipper If I can sh .... As you can see here I added some rather crude examples for the App Store and COD Zombies (to impress my primitive friends). About a week later, I stumbled across the videos of Pyrogenisis1234 (or something like that). He showed an iPod touch 4G running a fully working Siri GUI. I was impressed. I scoured the video for clues. They amounted to the realisation that I needed files that were beyond the reaches of a usual iPhone 3GS user. iFans became my best friend again there. I met a Doctor who was on a break, ready and willing with a Mac and an iPhone 4S. He dumped the Siri files required. It was a very exciting time for me. I was up for hours that night. After he shared the files with me, I felt empowered. I had something very little people had, so I went to work on it. I found issues running this DYLD cache. Very soon I learn't about how Apple cached their main system executables into one big file. I tried adding it through SSH, but it failed. USB also failed. I was at my wits end until I remembered Pyrogenisis' videos. He edited a "SpringBoard" file. Turned out, he wrote some shell scripts to link to the DYLD cache in another directory, rather than /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.dyld. I wrote my own but they wouldn't work. A little more searching on iFans let me run into a person called Demonic_BLiTZ (Bssayeda or something like that on iFans). He was as clueless as I was, and we both jumped head first into the problem. We shared our files and came to the conclusion that I had a some small mistakes in my scripts and my DYLD cache was corrupt. He provided me with a working one, a vital gesture that I would have been lost without. After a long and hard haul we came to a working GUI. Siri would actually talk to me. She could tell me that she couldn't connect! This was a huge milestone for me. I still had so much ahead of me, but it was a start. Demonic_BLiTZ and I lost contact somewhere along the way but I had moved onto other things and so had he. I had written a tutorial on iFans attracting some attention. I always think that people should always be as far as I am. If I know something, they should know. I've always made that very clear throughout the devlopment of SiriSays. Alas, I digress...
    On my tutorial, it seemed someone was further than me. Tw23 boasted on how he had gotten Siri working on his 'friend's' home network. I shouldn't have been tempted but I was curious. I PM'ed him and pretty soon we were talking on Skype. I hackintoshed my little netbook (my powerhouse throughout all of my Siri work, a dell mini 10v) and looked into a very exciting development. Applidium had made tools that would later prove vital for the use of SiriSays. Tw23 and I looked further into it until we hit a barrier. We had 4S keys but what good were they? Apple's servers recognised my netbook as a 4S but I wanted another iDevice to do it. We needed to make a Mobile Substrate tweak. Around about this time, I noticed a ripple in my twitter feed. Quoted from Demonic_BLiTZ "So who wants a video of Siri working on a CDMA iPhone 4?" I brushed it aside, thinking it was simply the GUI. Until the video was posted, and the penny dropped. He did it. Demonic_BLiTZ ditched me and he did it by himself. I suddenly began to feel very small. Demanding code that wasn't in any way mine, I begged Demonic_BLiTZ for the tweak. He refused, simply saying that the code wasn't his. If it wasn't his, who's was it? I had no time for detective work. I needed an objective C developer and I definitely wasn't going to learn it on this craptop. Once again, iFans was my friend... Up came an unlikely person, Peacemaker. He certainly fitted the bill. I PM'ed him and soon we were chatting on Skype. Soon after, I came to the thought of adding Peacemaker to our little duo of Tw23 and I. I added him to the chat and one of the first things Peace said was "We need a dev team name!". I struck me, the very thought we were more than tinkerers in our bedrooms. Peacemaker came up with the name SiriSays and the tagline "Ra1n today, Siri?". From there we've come so far. We've gotten our code all right, exactly the same as Demonic_BLiTZ's in fact (Not copied, just done the same way). I can't take much credit at all for the tweak. Tw23 was the amazing one there. He didn't even know objective C, yet he wrote a tweak to allow assistantd to read it's verification data from a simple .plist file. We hope to finish very, very soon. On my tutorial, it seemed someone was further than me. Tw23 boasted on how he had gotten Siri working on his 'friend's' home network. I shouldn't have been tempted but I was curious. I PM'ed him and pretty soon we were talking on Skype. I hackintoshed my little netbook (my powerhouse throughout all of my Siri work, a dell mini 10v) and looked into a very exciting development. Applidium had made tools that would later prove vital for the use of SiriSays. Tw23 and I looked further into it until we hit a barrier. We had 4S keys but what good were they? Apple's servers recognised my netbook as a 4S but I wanted another iDevice to do it. We needed to make a Mobile Substrate tweak. Around about this time, I noticed a ripple in my twitter feed. Quoted from Demonic_BLiTZ "So who wants a video of Siri working on a CDMA iPhone 4?" I brushed it aside, thinking it was simply the GUI. Until the video was posted, and the penny dropped. He did it. Demonic_BLiTZ ditched me and he did it by himself. I suddenly began to feel very small. Demanding code that wasn't in any way mine, I begged Demonic_BLiTZ for the tweak. He refused, simply saying that the code wasn't his. If it wasn't his, who's was it? I had no time for detective work. I needed an objective C developer and I definitely wasn't going to learn it on this craptop. Once again, iFans was my friend... Up came an unlikely person, Peacemaker. He certainly fitted the bill. I PM'ed him and soon we were chatting on Skype. Soon after, I came to the thought of adding Peacemaker to our little duo of Tw23 and I. I added him to the chat and one of the first things Peace said was "We need a dev team name!". I struck me, the very thought we were more than tinkerers in our bedrooms. Peacemaker came up with the name SiriSays and the tagline "Ra1n today, Siri?". From there we've come so far. We've gotten our code all right, exactly the same as Demonic_BLiTZ's in fact (Not copied, just done the same way). I can't take much credit at all for the tweak. Tw23 was the amazing one there. He didn't even know objective C, yet he wrote a tweak to allow assistantd to read it's verification data from a simple .plist file. We hope to finish very, very soon.
    [TechIt Blog]

It's long, but well worth the read

Wait, this guy is part of a Siri-porting dev team? LMAO, he's been pestering me on Twitter to tell him how I got my iPod authenticating.

?

I don't understand, he has it authenticating and I have proof -_-

My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok I'm confused, does this guy have a ported Siri for iPhone 4 working and released?

Working yeh, but you need to no someone with a 4[S] who has access to the dev jailbreak. So ATM public can't get it, but devs like... Saurik have access to an A5 jailbreak so they can.