+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Enable FaceTime over 3G on ios5 without jailbreaking

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
There was a Howto article posted earlier this month that shows how to enable FaceTime over 3G, but requires that you jailbreak your phone. Apple, iPhone and iPad News |
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Enable FaceTime over 3G on ios5 without jailbreaking
    There was a Howto article posted earlier this month that shows how to enable FaceTime over 3G, but requires that you jailbreak your phone.
    Apple, iPhone and iPad News | ModMyi - [How To] Enable FaceTime over 3G on iOS 5
    Since many of you may not want to use a tethered jailbreak, I created a tool that makes the same modification without having to jailbreak.

This method uses the exact same method shown in this post "iPad 1 Gestures and Display Mirroring Without Jailbreak" for enabling gestures and mirroring on an iPad 1. Many thanks to d.B. for this mod. I have simply modified his code to make the settings changes required to enable FaceTime.

The source code for the modification is included in the redsn0w zip file.

To use this tool:
    1. load redsnow
    2. click the "Jailbreak" button. Don't worry, you're not really going to jailbreak your phone. The actual jailbreak code has been replaced with the code to enable FaceTime.
    3. Next follow the onscreen directions to put your phone in DFU mode.
    4. When prompted, de-select "Install Cydia" and select "Enable FaceTime".
    5. Click next, and wait for your phone to boot. It will eventually print a message saying that it enabled FaceTime over 3g, and will reboot.
    6. Unplug your phone from your computer and it should boot back up and work just as before except now you can FaceTime from anywhere.

Note: I have only tested this on an iPhone4, as I do not currently have access to an iPhone 4S

I have included the modified Mac version of redsn0w. I have not tried to modify the Windows version.
    redsn0w_mac_0.9.9b8.zip | localhostr.com - share … anything
    Last edited by boogerme; 11-26-2011 at 11:06 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to boogerme For This Useful Post:

realsteve (11-30-2011)

Thanks

Fantastic! Thanks for posting this.

I have face break that I paid for so I'm good for now.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It's not working on iPhone 4S. I am getting an error message which is: Sorry, that isn't supported yet on the iPhone4S. So the redsnow in not supporting the iPhone 4S jailbreaking.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This won't work on an iPhone 4S because it needs the limerain exploit to modify the required file.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to boogerme For This Useful Post:

realsteve (11-30-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

boogerme, would you be able to make a modified version of the newest redsn0w for Mac (for 5.01)? Would be super appreciated.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is the correct version of redsn0w for ios5.0.1. You have to download the iOS 5.0 ipsw file first. See here for a direct link to download: iOS 5 Now Available [Download Links].

1. Power off your phone
    2. open redsn0w
    3. click extras
    4. click select IPSW and point to the file you downloaded
    5. click Back
    6. Then click the Jailbreak button and follow the directions at the top of this post

As I stated earlier, this does not actually jailbreak your phone, it just uses the limera1n exploit to modify the file required to enable FaceTime.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to boogerme For This Useful Post:

realsteve (11-30-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Great!
    Waiting for Windows Version!!!

Thx!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boogerme View Post
    There was a Howto article posted earlier this month that shows how to enable FaceTime over 3G, but requires that you jailbreak your phone.
    Apple, iPhone and iPad News | ModMyi - [How To] Enable FaceTime over 3G on iOS 5
    Since many of you may not want to use a tethered jailbreak, I created a tool that makes the same modification without having to jailbreak.

This method uses the exact same method shown in this post "iPad 1 Gestures and Display Mirroring Without Jailbreak" for enabling gestures and mirroring on an iPad 1. Many thanks to d.B. for this mod. I have simply modified his code to make the settings changes required to enable FaceTime.

The source code for the modification is included in the redsn0w zip file.

To use this tool:
    1. load redsnow
    2. click the "Jailbreak" button. Don't worry, you're not really going to jailbreak your phone. The actual jailbreak code has been replaced with the code to enable FaceTime.
    3. Next follow the onscreen directions to put your phone in DFU mode.
    4. When prompted, de-select "Install Cydia" and select "Enable FaceTime".
    5. Click next, and wait for your phone to boot. It will eventually print a message saying that it enabled FaceTime over 3g, and will reboot.
    6. Unplug your phone from your computer and it should boot back up and work just as before except now you can FaceTime from anywhere.

Note: I have only tested this on an iPhone4, as I do not currently have access to an iPhone 4S

I have included the modified Mac version of redsn0w. I have not tried to modify the Windows version.
    redsn0w_mac_0.9.9b8.zip | localhostr.com - share … anything
    Hello, boogerme.

I just wanner change my iOS's chinese fonts without Jailbreak, but I don't know any code.

Could you help me modify redsn0w to make it replace iOS's /System/Library/Fonts/Cache/STHeiti-Light.ttc and STHeiti-Medium.ttc? Just Mac version.

I can't upload file on this page, here is Modified fonts:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...58E284BEDD!124

Help me, pls.

Thanks.

ps: I updated iOS 5.0.1
    Last edited by realsteve; 11-30-2011 at 03:24 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

it needs the limerain exploit to modify the required file.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vhpcampos View Post
    Waiting for Windows Version!!!

Thx!
    What are my options if I'm in Windows and don't have a Mac? SOL?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi, I am using iPhone4 on OS 4.3.2, I can find the facetime under settings but when switching on, the message "activating" always show & never switch on. Also I dont have the facetime icon. Please help, thanks.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is it possible to enable FaceTime over 3G on iPhone 4S with the new jailbreak?