Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help with SMS mods...

Default Help with SMS mods...
    Hey guys, my name's Kerri. I'm new to the site and I need some advice on some mods. I hope this in the right location. I do apologize if its not. :/

I have a few questions hopefully someone can help me with.
    1) I've been trying to change the SMS Bubbles to different colors. I was able to change them thru a theme in cydia tweaks. I wanted OD green and a Desert color. But I was able to get them to a grey color. I have tried changing the file names in the original files and then tried making my own theme and that still did not work.

2) The other thing is trying to change the SMS background. Now I've seen and read that it should be super easy but I have no idea why I can't get this either. I saw a video where you make a folder, drop the file in the folder with "name.png" and then drop the folder into the Theme's section once you've SSH'd, but STILL I can not get it. I don't want to have theme and then go in and change the background to that and then have to get rid of all the crap I don't want on the theme, if that makes ANY sense.

I have the iPhone 4 running 4.2.10 Firmware with the redsn0w untethered jailbreak. I also am using WinterBoard. I have downloaded the OpenSHH and iFile. I'm new and just learning and trying to figure out some of the tweaks so if you're really good at this stuff just kinda dumb it down for me. And please tell me if I'm doing anything wrong. Lol.

Thanks in advance guys! Appreciate it.
    Last edited by kerrisaysss; 10-01-2011 at 02:00 PM.

you will need winterboard on your phone to make the sms background work.
    you will place it in library/Themes/SMS wallpaper
    then the file will be in .png format via photoshop. name it SMSBackground.png
    then go into winterboard and select it from the themes and respring, you now have a sms wallpaper.

the bubbles are easy as well, use photoshop and the color replacement tool to just select a color and alter it on the bubbles which you can alter by grabbing them from your phone or from a stock theme set. they are named Balloon_1@2x~iphone.png Balloon_1~iphone.png Balloon_2@2x~iphone.png Balloon_2~iphone.png
    after altering them they are to be placed in System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ChatKit.framework

when you place them in there via whatever method they may be automatically renamed with a (1) on the end, just go into ifile and navigate to their location stated above and delete the original ones on there then change the name of the new file to be without the (1) by tapping the blue arrow next to the file and then tapping the name field to fix. then respring and you have your new bubbles

hope this helped and was not to confusing.

this is what i have done so far today playing around with it, im going to make more changes as the night goes on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sms.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	182.0 KB 
ID:	549902
    Last edited by bottleslinger; 10-03-2011 at 09:11 PM.