+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Restoring a folder from unknown file type

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hello, I'm new to this forum, usually I'd just search for existing similar problems, and it would be good enough... Not this time... I've been using an iphone 4, as
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Unhappy Restoring a folder from unknown file type
    Hello, I'm new to this forum, usually I'd just search for existing similar problems, and it would be good enough... Not this time...

I've been using an iphone 4, as well as the Cydia app, MyFile, and on my PC, iphonebrowser.

The thing is, using MyFile, I accidentally changed /Applications into an unknown file type (This according to iphonebrowser). Thus the phone & SMS clients, as well as Cydia, Terminal and other stuff there have gone missing.

Is there a way to change it back? Otherwise, what would be a good course of action?

Other info: OS 4.2.1, Jailbroken using Greenpois0n 6.1. I now also regret not making a backup in the beginning.

The other var/mobile/Applications are still there, and whatsapp can still view my contacts despite the contacts app missing. Calls can be received, but there's no longer a client to call back

Thanks in advance!

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Check out SSH (OpenSSH via CYdia). Log in with your favorite SSH client. I use these SSH clients: ssh (part of Cygwin) and WinSCP. These clients show true ownership and file permissions for files and folders. iFile is a great on-device utility. MobileTerminal is also available for the die-hards
    Note, /Applications and /var/mobile/Applications are different folders. Stock Apple apps and Cydia apps are normally installed in /Applications. Apple App Store apps are installed in /var/mobile/Applications.
    Also be aware of the symbolic links. On my 4.2.1:
    /Applications is linked to /private/var/stash/Applications
    /var/mobile/Applications is linked to /private/var/mobile/Application

Be very careful. It's easy to make a mistake.