+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Ringtones not moving to ringtone folder in itunes

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi, I know how to create ringtone using itunes by changing the MP3 to m4r and make the tone under 30 seconds I see that the file has changed to
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Ringtones not moving to ringtone folder in itunes
    Hi,

I know how to create ringtone using itunes by changing the MP3 to m4r and make the tone under 30 seconds I see that the file has changed to m4r but when I drag the file over to my ringtones it does not go in to the folder.....

I'm using itunes 10.2.1

Color Keyboard Yoda Phatmartino's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,023 Times in 310 Posts

Hey, take a look at the "I got a tough one.." thread in this forum section. I just saw and replied to it before I read yours...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Nothing is working I have tried everything different songs nothing seems to work

Thanks

It seems as though there can't be a song in your library with the same name. If you haven't, try also renaming the actual normal file name to something else if it's a song you want to keep in your library?

Also, I'm past iTunes 10, but probably not on the newest. It's possible they have or will take care of the ability to do this.

Let me know if names make a difference.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I do have ringtones from diffrent versions of itunes so the part about renaming the song does not make sense to me.

Thanks

Here's an example. After reading that other post about a silent ringtone, i used a separate program to render a 4 second file called Silent.WAV , imported into itunes, converted to AAC, and then went and made a separate copy of the .m4a version outside of iTunes, changed the extension to m4r, double clicked the file. It opened in iTunes and played, but did not put it in the ringtones folder. This is because it had been a while since I used this process and forgot to remove the Silent.wav and Silent.m4a IN ITUNES. Once i removed them from my MUSIC LIBRARY in iTunes, tried again and it worked as described in other post.

So what I meant was, if you used a song from your itunes music library, and the end result .m4r file still had the same name (other than extension) as a song still in your itunes music library (this means present while looking at your music library in the iTunes application) it won't work. So in that instance I meant to make sure you had renamed the .m4r so you wouldn't have to at least temporarily remove the original song from your music library.

I might guess that if under these conditions it doesn't work, Apple must have taken care of this "exploit" in a newer version of iTunes.

Hope this makes sense, happy to try and help further if need be...
    Last edited by Phatmartino; 06-14-2011 at 02:00 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just tried to rename the song when I created the AAC file but to give me the green + when I drag it over to the ringtone folder but it does not going into the folder. NO LUCK YET

Thanks

If you're able, try downloading one of the attached ringtones (I included the same file in .rar and .zip in case you have a preference) and follow these instructions:

1. Unzip whichever you choose anywhere on your computer. Filename will be "Boondocks.m4r" (End theme from Boondocks cartoon).

2. Make sure iTunes is CLOSED.

3. Double click "Boondocks.m4r"

That's it.

Itunes should open when you double click the file and it will AUTOMATICALLY be put into the Ringtones folder.

THERE WILL BE NO DRAGGING AND DROPPING.

This is the only method I'm aware of that works.

Please verify that this works if you can, and if it does, I should be able to explain why and give detailed instructions.

Hope it works. Good Luck!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

I just updated to the newest iTunes (10.3.1.55) and this still works. It seems that the file name being present in the Music Library isn't the issue as much as the same "track" or file content (meaning the actual music content/length/waveform) can't be already present in you iTunes Music Library. Make sure that the same file even with a different extension and/or name is not already anywhere in iTunes (the application) and you should be golden.

Here are all steps assuming you have a file of any type EXEPT an AAC (.m4a) that was created BY iTunes. (You may also encounter problems with songs purchased from iTunes)

Track must be under 30 seconds, as stated.

-- Open iTunes, pull down the [Edit] menu and select [Preferences].
    -- In the [General] tab, hit the [Import Settings...] button.
    -- For "Import Using:" select [AAC Encoder]
    -- For "Setting:" select [High Quality (128 kbps)]
    -- Click [OK] twice.

Then

-- Import "YourTrack".wav,mp3, etc. into iTunes Music Library.
    -- Find the track in iTunes, Right Click on it and select [Create AAC Version]
    -- As soon as both versions are present, select them both and hit the [Delete] button on the keyboard.
    -- In the popup window select [Keep File]

-- CLOSE ITUNES

-- Browse to the physical location of your itunes media.*

For Windows users at least, assuming you let iTunes create your media folders where where it natively wants to, the location should be:

C: \Users\*YourUserName*\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\

If the track had no "info" entered, try looking in "Unknown Artist"

-- Once you locate the track, make a copy if desired, then change the extension of either from .m4a to .m4r

-- If prompted about changing the extension click "Yes"

Now, with iTunes still closed, double click the .m4r file. It will open iTunes, play the file and automatically add it to your ringtones folder.

Done.

I'm assuming that most of this process you already knew, but I figured I'd include all steps for you to compare the details of your process with mine and for future readers' benefit.

If you started out by using an .m4a created by iTunes, encoding selection / purchased from iTunes (copy protected) / file already existing (in any format, with any name) in your iTunes Music Library when you do the .m4r double click step, could be the difference.

Hope this helps one way or another!
    Last edited by Phatmartino; 06-20-2011 at 05:31 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phatmartino View Post
    If you're able, try downloading one of the attached ringtones (I included the same file in .rar and .zip in case you have a preference) and follow these instructions:

1. Unzip whichever you choose anywhere on your computer. Filename will be "Boondocks.m4r" (End theme from Boondocks cartoon).

2. Make sure iTunes is CLOSED.

3. Double click "Boondocks.m4r"

That's it.

Itunes should open when you double click the file and it will AUTOMATICALLY be put into the Ringtones folder.

THERE WILL BE NO DRAGGING AND DROPPING.

This is the only method I'm aware of that works.

Please verify that this works if you can, and if it does, I should be able to explain why and give detailed instructions.

Hope it works. Good Luck!
    Hey I know that this is an old post but I am on my iphone and clicked and downloaded to ifile your boondocks folder, and put the file into my ringtone folder and it worked, I was wondering if you could email me a boondocks opening theme song file that is 30 seconds so I can use it thanks in advance
    My email: [email protected]

Thanks

Go into Cydia and search for Rinngo. That will solve all ringtone problems.