Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Recover Contacts, Notes, Photos from iTunes Backup file?

Default Recover Contacts, Notes, Photos from iTunes Backup file?
    My iPhone 4 is completely out of commission. I did back it up in iTunes recently. When I tried to do a restore on my iPhone 3G using a backup of my iPhone 4, it said the software was too old. My iPhone 4 was at 4.3.2, my iPhone 3G is at 3.1.3.

Is there any way to extract the contacts from my iPhone 4 backup and then transfer it to my iPhone 3G. I don't want to upgrade the firmware on my 3G because that will just make it even slower.

As a last resort, I don't mind just seeing my contacts in text format, and then manually entering them into my 3G. If you know how to do this, please let me know.

Also, could you let me know how to access the Notes as well?

Finally, does the backup file also backup the photos and videos I took with my iPhone 4? If so, can I access those as well?

This might work:
    Reincubate: Labs: Backup Extractor for iPhone: extract and restore files from an iPhone backup on Windows, Linux and OS X

or you could pull it up manually. It should be in this location depending on what Windows you have:
    iPhone backup file:
    %APPDATA%\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
    Windows XP:
    %APPDATA% = CDocuments and Settings\[your username]\Application Data\
    Windows Vista:
    %APPDATA% = CUsers\[your username]\AppData\Roaming
    Windows 7:
    CUsers\user\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

I'm not positive the iPhone pictures are there. Maybe you could take a look and let us know