Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Fix iPod Disabled for 41 Years WITHOUT RESTORE

Default Fix iPod Disabled for 41 Years WITHOUT RESTORE
    --NOTICE: The steps described in this article are very complicated, and should only be used if you have very important data on the iPod. If there is nothing majorly important on the iPod, a simple restore will fix it very easily. Restoring is the preferred method of fixing this error.--

You can now fix any iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch that has been disabled for 41 years (21,000,000 minutes) even if you are not jailbroken. This can be done on any firmware in the 4.x.x range. If your iPod is not currently jailbroken, you must jailbreak your iPod while it is disabled, which is actually the same as doing it if it wasn't disabled. This type of fix DOES NOT require a restore of any means, unless you don't want a jailbreak when you're done, and will not erase any data, except your mail passwords and/or wireless network passwords.

1. If you are not jailbroken, download the most recent version of Redsn0w which is currently (May 18, 2011) 0.9.6 RC16.
    Windows: https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-de...edirects=0&d=1
    Mac: https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-de...edirects=0&d=1

2. Download your current firmware from iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download

3. Download this bundle, which will bundle OpenSSH and some other Add-ons with your jailbreak. Because the iPod is disabled, you must install these with the jailbreak, as this is how we plan to access the files to fix the iPod/iPhone/iPad. http://www.4shared.com/file/HWNBH6jI/SSH_bundle.html

4. Plug in your iPod/iPhone/iPad, and launch redsn0w.exe. Click browse, select your firmware, and let it do it's thing. Once at the next screen, select the "Install custom bundle" checkbox. Browse to the location of the TGZ file, and click "Open". If you are already jailbroken, but do not have SSH installed on your iDevice, then only select the checkbox titled "Install custom bundle", and run it over yout existing jailbreak.

5. Click next, and then put your device into DFU mode. Follow the on-screen instructions on how to do this. Once the device is jailbroken, it will still be disabled. This is normal.

6. Make sure the device is on a preferred wireless network. This would normally be your house or a friend's house. Make sure that the wireless icon is present on your top-bar.

7. Log in to your router, (usually 192.168.1.1). If you do not know the address of your router, on Windows, click Start, run, type "cmd" (no quotes), then click OK. Type "ipconfig" in the command prompt, and look for "Default Gateway". This is the number to put into your browser to log in to the router.

8. If you cannot log in to the router, look online for the default username and password for your router model. One of those should let you in.

9. Once logged in to the router, try to find a "DHCP Client List" or something similar. What we are doing, is trying to find the IP Address of the disabled iPod. This will allow us to connect to it. If you are already jailbroken, and have installed SBSettings, you may be able to slide the top bar of the iPod to get this number.

10. In the table, you should see the device name (name of your iPod), followed by the IP Address. Copy down the IP Address of your iPod.

11. Download WinSCP from WinSCP :: Free SFTP and FTP client for Windows. Go through the install process, and then once running, enter this information in. Host name: the IP Address you found earlier. Username: root Password: alpine Now you have root access into the disabled iPod. Now, on the right side of the program, go to /private/var/mobile/Libary/Preferences and delete "com.apple.springboard.plist".

12. Then go to /private/var/Keychains and delete "keychain-2.db". These two files hold all the passwords and Springboard information with them, so you may want to edit them yourself if you know how, to only delete the parts that have to with the lock. Deleting these files won't do anything except remove your passwords for mail, wireless, and some other passwords that were saved.

13. Hard-reboot your device by holding power/home simultaneously until you see the apple logo. When it comes up, you should be able to slide to unlock, and enter your device password. If you have forgotten your passcode, deleting the Keychain will not remove this. It only fixes the iPod disabled message.

14. Congratulations! Your iPod is un-disabled, and just like before. Be sure to change your time and date, as the system clock has reset to December 31, 1969.

15. For an explanation of how this happens, it happens when you let your iPod die, and then don't charge it for a long period of time. If your battery reaches absolute zero, your time resets to 1969. Your iPod has a setting telling it that the last log-in was in the year 2011, so it becomes disabled until the clock catches up. It happens with any iPod Touch, iPad, or iPhone on any firmware, and there is currently no fix I have found other than this. This is a fix that is only needed if your computer you last synced with doesn't work, or you don't have it anymore, and if you do not have a backup. A simple restore is much easier than this, but this keeps everything on the device like it was before. The reason iPhoneBrowser doesn't work, is because while the device is disabled, a computer attached to it does not have access to it at all, while using SSH gives you root access.

16. If you do not want the iPod to be jailbroken after you complete these steps, be sure to back it up with iTunes, or use iPhoneBrowser and a USB cable to move all your important files off of it, and then just restore normally. If your firmware is out-of-date, an update will also remove the jailbreak, while keeping your data intact.

17. If you leave your iPod in it's current state, be sure to change your SSH password, as the default leaves your iPod open to anyone that knows your IP address. This forum should help you do this. Change Password of OpenSSH from 'alpine' in iPhone3G 2.0
    Last edited by ttcole1254; 02-20-2012 at 05:38 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ttcole1254 For This Useful Post:

ZekeThePlumber (03-23-2012)

The Redsn0w say ""unable to recognize specified ipsw"" i dont know why please help

my ipod is already jailbroken, i stupidly entered the wrong password in many times (i am verry addicted to my ipod and i have a lot of schoolwork to do so i kept entering in the wrong password so i wouldntb distracted bc i could not use it, but then i completely disabled it)

how exactly do i restore it without losing any data? i have many things that i cannot lose on it!

Well, lets see, WAIT MUCH???
    iDevices: Lots, most jailbroken
    Computers: MPB 13" i7 mid 2011, MacBook Air "11 256GB Samsung SSD i7, 4GB RAM, both OSX 10.7.3

I'm a iPhone hacker and Twitter API master.

To feezoman, sometimes redsn0w doesn't recognize the IPSW for a variety of reasons. You may have a corrupted copy of redsn0w, or a corrupted copy of your IPSW file. Try re-downloading both. You also need to be sure you are using an IPSW that redsn0w supports. Sorry for taking so long to respond.. I didn't realize anyone replied and I haven't been on this site in a long time. To dfeldman92, there's no way you can get it locked out for too long by just putting in the password wrong. The problem this is addressing is the clock resetting because of a dead iPod battery, causing a lock out of around 41 years.

I Have got an IPOD 4G with very very important data.......now a kid in my house has several times entered a wrong password and the ipod is disabled....i have jail broken the ipod using redsnow however as mentioned the ipod still is disabled and the link given to download SSH is not working....can u please tell me that how can i get back the data and if the above link to download SSH is updated and i get the new link how to turn on WI-FI as the ipod 4G is disabled....I cannot loose the data so please can u give me a new procedure to get my data back as all the links are very old and not working......waiting for reply

Is there something along the lines of "try again in xx minutes"? or is it just saying "iPod is disabled"? Those are two different issues. I did find a working link for the SSH bundle though. SSH_bundle.tgz - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download
    To get it to work, wireless must be set to "on" and the iPod needs to be joined to a preferred network. It will join a known network while disabled. If you know a network the iPod was joined to, you can change the SSID on your router to match a network the iPod was joined to in the past. If that network had a password, yours needs to have the same password. I know this way is very complicated, but from my understanding this is the only way to fix it without losing data. This fix is supposed to be used when it's locked for a long amount of time, but it might work with is just disabled as well. I haven't tried it though.

Default thanks a lot however the process is too complicated......however thank u for the reply
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcole1254 View Post
    Is there something along the lines of "try again in xx minutes"? or is it just saying "iPod is disabled"? Those are two different issues. I did find a working link for the SSH bundle though. SSH_bundle.tgz - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download
    To get it to work, wireless must be set to "on" and the iPod needs to be joined to a preferred network. It will join a known network while disabled. If you know a network the iPod was joined to, you can change the SSID on your router to match a network the iPod was joined to in the past. If that network had a password, yours needs to have the same password. I know this way is very complicated, but from my understanding this is the only way to fix it without losing data. This fix is supposed to be used when it's locked for a long amount of time, but it might work with is just disabled as well. I haven't tried it though.
    thanks a lot however the process is too complicated......however thank u for the reply

You could get SSH using the Reds0w bundle and then SFTP into the device and drop in Conrad Kramer's no passcode block. If you have another device, just install, then copy over the files.
    Computers: MPB 13" i7 mid 2011, MacBook Air "11 256GB Samsung SSD i7, 4GB RAM, both OSX 10.7.3

Does a disabled iPod touch still attempt to connect to an previously remembered wireless network?

I think there is a difference between a temporarily disabled iPod and one that strictly says it's disabled with no timer on when the disable will be lifted.

My iPod is jailbroken and btw adding the SSH bundle doesn't seem to work with redsn0w 0.9.10 but does with 0.9.6. However, after jailbreaking it and adding the ssh bundle it still will not connect to 'linksys' or 'netgear' or any of the networks that this iPod has connected to in the past. iPod boots but the wireless icon never shows in the menu bar.
    Last edited by zbowman; 02-27-2012 at 02:30 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This would be so hellpful if redsn0w didn't cause so many problems. I downloaded the version of redsn0w and the firmware which I have on my iPad - 4.3.3 but then it comes up with some "unable to recognise specified ispw" crap. It really it getting on my nerves as I search for the newest version of redsn0w and now it isn't compatible with 4.3.3. I already have jailbroken with Jailbreakme.com so I just need the SSH to be installed onto my device. Guys, please help as restoring is not an option as there is lots of important data on the iPad, and there is no back up as I have never synced it with my new laptop, I know, I'm a complete idiot.

Default Disabled iPhone won't connect to Wi-Fi network
    I'm trying to pull files off of my aunt's disabled iPhone 3GS w/ new bootrom, for some reason it isn't joining a preferred wireless network (mine). I've authorized her device onto my network (allowed MAC address) right before her iPhone got disabled. I've even reset the router back to it's default settings so that anyone could join, and even though I checked the client list within the router, ran Ip Scanner on 2 different iPod Touchs to make certain, it still won't join

Does the Wi-Fi absolutely need to be turned on before it gets disabled? I've installed the OpenSSH bundle onto her iPhone 3GS, hoping the Wi-Fi would turn on.

Awesome guide though! I'll refer people to here when their iPhone is disabled
    Last edited by ZekeThePlumber; 04-25-2012 at 03:03 AM. Reason: Text was too small, on a different browser
    Welcome to.... Darkcore!

Default Success!
    Reviving a thread with good and bad news. Bad news, is that after configuring my router to match my aunt's router settings, her iPhone 3GS still would not connect.

The good news, is that after some searching, I was able to find a way to access her disabled iPhone 3GS's file system! I was able to download her photos/videos and calendar data. She has since gotten the new iPhone 4S, but seeing as she still needs the calendar data, I'm not so sure if one can just simply copy/paste calendar data onto a new device and that's that, or if there's more to it. I guess that will be next thing to search for lol.

As for how I was able to recover her data, it was actually not that hard once I found the right how-to lmao. Search for 'msftguy mostly iphone hacking' in Google, and use the 2nd result. As a precaution, make sure to have iTunes installed. I know, obvious, right? :P
    Welcome to.... Darkcore!

Default Restore Corrupt iPod Without Loosing Any Data In Two Easy Steps!
    I found a program that saved everything on my corrupt iPod and fully restored it back to normal. All my stuff was back on as if nothing had ever happened. The program I used is called "iCloner" by CopyTrans. And its all done in two easy steps backup and restore. This will only work if you have not already restored your iPod (with iTunes) after it has been corrupted. (Restoring in iTunes deletes all your stuff off the drive. In which case, your only other option to recover your files would be to use a recovery program to get it back. Unless you have backed it up before it was corrupted).
    Last edited by Joshua271987; 06-19-2012 at 01:06 AM.

The guy who posted above is posting an advertisement and has probably been hacked. Thanks for your concern

I am in same situation but with an iPad OS 5.x. Do you know what version of Redsn0w etc I need to execute your steps? Also, though the wifi is turned on the iPad, it is not connected to wireless network. I don't see any entry in DHCP client list of router. Any help is appreciated. This is my mom's iPad and I want to save her data.