+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Changing a Homescreen Safari Bookmark Icon

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Wanted to throw this out there for anyone that cares! If you have Safari Bookmarks on your Springboard and you're looking to change the icon image to whatever you want,
    Thanks

Default Changing a Homescreen Safari Bookmark Icon
    Wanted to throw this out there for anyone that cares!

If you have Safari Bookmarks on your Springboard and you're looking to change the icon image to whatever you want, then here you go!

-Go to /var/mobile/Library/WebClips

-In this folder will be folders with a long string of numbers followed by the .webclip extension (eg. 10307EA7E46D4C16AFEE859850F1312D.webclip). *Each folder represents a bookmark you created on the Springboard.*

***At this point, you just have to 'find' the folder that matches your bookmark!***

-Open a folder and click on 'icon.png' to see what bookmark it relates to.

-Then just use whatever .png icon image you want.

-Obviously, you'll need to rename your .png image to 'icon.png' so that you're replacing the original icon.png file.

-Respring and that's it!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Another Step
    You will also need to open up Info.plist and change the 'IconIsPrecomposed' to true and the 'IconIsScreenShotBased' to false. There is also another interesting variable in here called 'FullScreen'. When this is set to true, the bookmark will open as if it were its own app, without the safari tool bars.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is great but there's one issue. As soon as you 'launch' the bookmark, the icon reverts back to whatever the website provides. How do you lock the icon down?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bouchacha View Post
    This is great but there's one issue. As soon as you 'launch' the bookmark, the icon reverts back to whatever the website provides. How do you lock the icon down?
    I addressed this issue in my previous post:

You will also need to open up Info.plist and change the 'IconIsPrecomposed' to true and the 'IconIsScreenShotBased' to false.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EllS1231 View Post
    I addressed this issue in my previous post:
    Yes, sorry I wasn't more specific in my post. I included your lines as such:
    <key>IconIsPrecomposed</key>
    <true/>
    <key>IconIsScreenShotBased</key>
    <false/>
    in between the <dict> tag. I had to add it in there because it wasn't included when I opened it. I then save the file, and copy it over the original in the given directory. The icon changes nicely, however, it reverts back to the original icon once I run it. I check the plist file again and the lines I added are gone.

I also tried both erasing and nulling the string for <key>IconURL</key> and the same thing happens. The icon changes back to its original and the original web icon url is back.

It seems like the behavior is set as such to revert to default should the plist file be found to be modified. The date property on the files even says as such. Any idea why this happens and how to stop it?

I'm running OS 4.0 if it matters.

Thanks

Try SSHing to the folder AFTER you change the icon, and set the permissions to just read

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Unfortunately that did not work. I'm guessing here, but it seems like maybe the two additional lines of code are invalid and as a result, the entire plist file is "refreshed" to safe defaults (and in the process, restores the original icon). Does this actually work for anyone? Thanks!