+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tethering.

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey there, I've got an iPhone 4 on 4.2.1 jailbroken with greenpois0n. So my iPhone plan currently does NOT have internet tethering enabled, but I wanted to try it out.
    iPhone? More like MyPhone NinetyFour's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Tethering.
    Hey there, I've got an iPhone 4 on 4.2.1 jailbroken with greenpois0n. So my iPhone plan currently does NOT have internet tethering enabled, but I wanted to try it out. So naturally, I downloaded a tweak from Cydia to enable tethering. But my question is this:

Will my carrier charge me additional charges if I tether?
    Owner of the Unofficial ModMyi Palringo Chat Group. Join today!

We've got information in the information age but do we know what life is outside of our convenient Lexus cages?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If you have an unlimited data plan that is required with an iPhone contract you don't have to worry about it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rivas490 View Post
    If you have an unlimited data plan that is required with an iPhone contract you don't have to worry about it.
    Believe me or not, I don't have an unlimited data plan. I have 500mb a month. I don't know why you would think I do have an unlimited plan.

We've got information in the information age but do we know what life is outside of our convenient Lexus cages?

Thanks

Who's your carrier? I think if you use an external tethering app such as TetherMe or MyWi, you should be pretty safe. Just don't use too much data on tethering and capture some unnecessary attention. I have the $10 unlimited data plan for T-Mobile and I've tethered a couple of times... so far no tethering charge.

Thanks

I live in Canada. Believe it or not, Americans, but people outside of America actually exist! And they also have iPhones! Crazy huh? lol just playing.

But yeah, my Canadian carrier doesn't require an unlimited data plan for iPhone so I have the 500mb one. Will I be able to use tethering without having to pay extra? If I tether, will it just use up my 500mb a month data?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NinetyFour View Post
    I live in Canada. Believe it or not, Americans, but people outside of America actually exist! And they also have iPhones! Crazy huh? lol just playing.
    Don't know what got you started on that thought... I never stated you were American, but anyway, I guess it all depends on how strict your carrier is. Using a third-party tethering app on a jailbroken iPhone, I don't think I've seen anyone who got "caught" and were charged extra. Data is data. Try it out and see what happens.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

They probably wont charge you extra for tethering, they have no way of knowing how you're using your data.

Aside from that, it's pretty easy to burn up 500MB, then again 500MB isn't a lot either so I don't see why the carrier would get suspicious about your usage.

It's relatively easy to use up a lot of data when tethering. The computer loads more than the phone, it will in most instances use more data to for example load a webpage than the iPhone which may or may not load into a mobile version. I've calculated the data usage for browsing the web with my iPhone for instance may use 50MB a day, tethering it may use 70MB for the same amount of activity (more or less). Just be careful with tethering. I notice my data jumps up rather quickly when I do have to tether sometimes.

Thanks

Thanks for the great answers.

iPhone? More like MyPhone MJedi's Avatar
    Thanks

Which file/tweak did you download from Cydia to enable tethering? I'm looking for the same feature before I upgrade to 4.2.1. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

MyWi is the best in my opinion. Costs a one-time fee but well worth it.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    I totally agree

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Definitely. I've come to love that app.

Is it normal though that when I use my iPhone hotspot on my Mac, my data speeds are much faster? My connection speed is only EDGE via T-Mobile, but the download/upload rates are much higher than when I'm on my phone.